Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Default Jerry West vs Kobe Bryant. Who is the second greatest shooting guard ?

I think this battle may or may not be upcoming on the ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project, but i wanted others to go in on this topic before it would happen, just to gather more of an understanding about this debate here on ISH.

There seems to be a general consensus that Kobe Bryant is the second greatest shooting guard of all-time. And while the credit for that is very much due and deserved since the 2010 finals and Kobe collecting his 2 consecutive Finals MVP and second consecutive chip as the leader, is it still not West that still holds most of value and edge statistically as the better player ?

Hasn

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Jerry West vs Kobe Bryant. Who is the second greatest shooting guard ?

[QUOTE=Legends66NBA7]I think this battle may or may not be upcoming on the ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project, but i wanted others to go in on this topic before it would happen, just to gather more of an understanding about this debate here on ISH.

There seems to be a general consensus that Kobe Bryant is the second greatest shooting guard of all-time. And while the credit for that is very much due and deserved since the 2010 finals and Kobe collecting his 2 consecutive Finals MVP and second consecutive chip as the leader, is it still not West that still holds most of value and edge statistically as the better player ?

Hasn

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Jerry West vs Kobe Bryant. Who is the second greatest shooting guard ?

[QUOTE=Legends66NBA7]I think this battle may or may not be upcoming on the ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project, but i wanted others to go in on this topic before it would happen, just to gather more of an understanding about this debate here on ISH.

Hasn

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

No, Kobe is very easily the better player. Put Kobe in the 60's and he'd put up 38-42+/7-8/6-7/2-3/56-58% TS a night.

Local High School Star

this is a tough one. I think I will have to go with the guy who can dribble with his left hand

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    VERY CLOSE. I give Kobe a slight edge based on his five rings.
    Not this again.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease with malice's Avatar

Whilst I'd go Kobe, I think it's folly to state that if you put a guy back and say he'd do so much better... without factoring in the realities you'd have to take away like advanced training, weight programs, diet et al.
    Same with bringing a guy - like West - forward to this point in time. You must assume that he'd have the benefits of better training, greater awareness of what's going to improve his game, and all the benefits that current players enjoy.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

The answer is Kobe and it has been since 2009 when he won his first championship. I didn't read a damn thing in your post but it more than likely wouldn't have changed my mind anyway.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by with malice
    Whilst I'd go Kobe, I think it's folly to state that if you put a guy back and say he'd do so much better... without factoring in the realities you'd have to take away like advanced training, weight programs, diet et al.
    Same with bringing a guy - like West - forward to this point in time. You must assume that he'd have the benefits of better training, greater awareness of what's going to improve his game, and all the benefits that current players enjoy.
    Kobe is still black when you send him back in time

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

About as close as it gets from what I gather...but I lean towards Kobe because he's got the 5 titles. I don't think titles should matter as much as most do, but its hard to ignore how much of a key role Kobe has played in 5 different title teams now.

Sometimes players have great circumstances...but they still have to go out there and perform and get the job done. Nothing is easy.

Kobe.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88
    this is a tough one. I think I will have to go with the guy who can dribble with his left hand

Can your dumb ass do me a favor?

Can you point out which hand Jerry West is dribbling with in the freaking NBA logo? Or is that beyond your extremely limited mental capacity?
    Last edited by SuperPippen; 09-24-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Wade.

disappointing thread

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    About as close as it gets from what I gather...but I lean towards Kobe because he's got the 5 titles. I don't think titles should matter as much as most do, but its hard to ignore how much of a key role Kobe has played in 5 different title teams now.

Sometimes players have great circumstances...but they still have to go out there and perform and get the job done. Nothing is easy.
    Unless you're Brian Scalabrine, Luke Walton or Adam Morrison. No one can deny those dudes were flat-out GIFTED rings.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Dwyane Wade

[color=white]TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!! [/color]