Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast

Default Re: Deadspin: Manti Te

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...3/?sf8795047=1

One of the reasons Manti Te'o's parents plan to speak on camera with Katie Couric this week is because they, not just their son, were taken in by his fictional girlfriend, according to a person with knowledge of the planned interview.

The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on Sunday on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter. The person said Ottilia Te'o, Manti Te'o's mother, had spoken with Lennay Kekua about converting to Mormonism and that the family had engaged in Bible study with her via text message.

The lawyer for Ronaiah Tuiasosopo came out and said that it was Ronaiah on the phone with Manti, altering his voice, not a woman.

Local High School Star franchise#3's Avatar

Still don't believe he was played. There's freaking skype and internet. It ain't 60's man.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I know someone that got hoaxed in a similar way, although not for 3 years, so I can completely believe that all this happened. For my friend, we actually had to do an intervention to get him to realize it was fake.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    The lawyer for Ronaiah Tuiasosopo came out and said that it was Ronaiah on the phone with Manti, altering his voice, not a woman.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Supposed to have been 500hrs on the phone. If they can validate that I believe Te'o. I also think that someone should have power of attorney over him because he could get eaten alive once he's got money but all that time on the phone makes no sense if he's in on it.

Watching him on Katie now. It's obvious he's a dumbass and he exaggerated the relationship for sympathy but I believe he was catfished. They even played voicemails from Lennay and it sounds like a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Watching him on Katie now. It's obvious he's a dumbass and he exaggerated the relationship for sympathy but I believe he was catfished. They even played voicemails from Lennay and it sounds like a woman.

That's the thing though. I really no longer care if he was in on it, is secretly gay, or never knew from the start.

What I think is crazy is that ESPN and most sports media are letting him skate by his completely BS sob story that the "girl" was the love of his life.

I'm sorry but to go from he met her at Stanford after a game and formed a deep, personal love for an amazing person to he never saw her face to face, never tried to go to the hospital where she was sick and injured all summer, and never even Skyped with her is clear evidence that he totally exaggerated what this person was and meant to him. The dude was crying on TV about her for months while giving very detailed recollections of her.

Whats even more disgusting is his real grandmother actually did die right around the time he started pushing the whole girlfriend inspired him to get two INTs to help with the game garbage.

I can't get over the fact that even if this guy is totally innocent and knew nothing, he is still a major douche that claims he cared more for a person he never met or went to see in the hospital than he did for a family member he had known his whole life.

dude is a POS a-hole AT BEST IMO.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

It always cracks me up when a guy is asked: "Are you gay?" and the response is: "HAHAHA! NO!" he literealy said far from it.

Always makes me laugh. Does this make anyone else laugh?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    That's the thing though. I really no longer care if he was in on it, is secretly gay, or never knew from the start.

What I think is crazy is that ESPN and most sports media are letting him skate by his completely BS sob story that the "girl" was the love of his life.

I'm sorry but to go from he met her at Stanford after a game and formed a deep, personal love for an amazing person to he never saw her face to face, never tried to go to the hospital where she was sick and injured all summer, and never even Skyped with her is clear evidence that he totally exaggerated what this person was and meant to him. The dude was crying on TV about her for months while giving very detailed recollections of her.

Whats even more disgusting is his real grandmother actually did die right around the time he started pushing the whole girlfriend inspired him to get two INTs to help with the game garbage.

I can't get over the fact that even if this guy is totally innocent and knew nothing, he is still a major douche that claims he cared more for a person he never met or went to see in the hospital than he did for a family member he had known his whole life.

dude is a POS a-hole AT BEST IMO.
    how about you stop being so narrow minded and judgmental. The nuances of relationships are complex and for you to question the depth of his feeling based on the circumstances of their relatiionship is flippant. People develop intense attachment to people they see on tv and don't even know, is it really that hard to imagine that a sheltered naive kid can possess real feelings for someone who spent hours talking to him on the phone with the deliberate intention of making him fall in love with her? what people value in relationships are completely idyosyncratic and it is entirely possible to have meaningful and fulfilling relationships based on spoken word as opposed to physical intimacy.

there has been enduring relationships built on letters never mind phone conversations.

Moreover all he had to do was to believe she was a person and have feelings for her. Upon hearing news of her DEATH, grief takes over and magnifies the importance of the deceased. It's a natural reaction to death of acquaintances and friends or family, we elevate their significance to us in order to honor and cherish their passing. In essence we conflate grief with love.

and really how much of our own feelings and emotion would stand up to this cross examination scrutiny you are putting him through?
    Last edited by heyhey; 01-25-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    how about you stop being so narrow minded and judgmental. The nuances of relationships are complex and for you to question the depth of his feeling based on the circumstances of their relatiionship is flippant. People develop intense attachment to people they see on tv and don't even know, is it really that hard to imagine that a sheltered naive kid can possess real feelings for someone who spent hours talking to him on the phone with the deliberate intention of making him fall in love with her? what people value in relationships are completely idyosyncratic and it is entirely possible to have meaningful and fulfilling relationships based on spoken word as opposed to physical intimacy.

there has been enduring relationships built on letters never mind phone conversations.

Moreover all he had to do was to believe she was a person and have feelings for her. Upon hearing news of her DEATH, grief takes over and magnifies the importance of the deceased. It's a natural reaction to death of acquaintances and friends or family, we elevate their significance to us in order to honor and cherish their passing. In essence we conflate grief with love.

and really how much of our own feelings and emotion would stand up to this cross examination scrutiny you are putting him through?
    bull-****ing-shit dude

you dont skip out on meeting "the love of your life" in person when she is in the hospital for injuries from a car wreck and leukemia b/c daddy says lets go on vacation instead.

The most mindblowing thing to me is that the dude perpetuating the fraud spent HUNDREDS of hours on the phone with Teo just for the hell of it. I hate talking on the phone with people I actually know, like, and have sex with and I def wouldn't spend that much time just to **** with someone. Someone needs to get an interview with that dude.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    The most mindblowing thing to me is that the dude perpetuating the fraud spent HUNDREDS of hours on the phone with Teo just for the hell of it. I hate talking on the phone with people I actually know, like, and have sex with and I def wouldn't spend that much time just to **** with someone. Someone needs to get an interview with that dude.
    yeah, this is pretty much why I assumed Manti and this dude were secret lovers and both created Lennay to cover up their gay romance...it would make sense to spend that much time on the phone with that being the case.

This just being a 3 year long "prank" is amazing...but we have to remember that these are kids...the fact that Manti is a huge linebacker sometimes makes me forget that we are talking about 21 year olds here...I was doing retarded shit at age 21 myself...although not like this

There was an episode of Catfish, The Mhissy Episode, that featured a 3 year prank. So there is precedent for these type of shenanigans. The length that people will go for quality lulz is infinite.

I don't buy it though.

I still prefer to believe that Manti was in on it, and purposely used the story to create a narrative for his Heisman campaign. I prefer to believe that he is a diabolical mastermind, than an idiot of the lowest order.