Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Anthony Bennett avg 9 ppg, 3 rpg on 33%fg in six D-league games this year

Has there ever been a #1 pick that has fallen off this fast?

Biggest bust ever

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Default Re: Anthony Bennett avg 9 ppg, 3 rpg on 33%fg in six D-league games this year

LeBeast would've turned him into a superstar

#LeBeast

Serious playground baller Mawly-G's Avatar

Default Re: Anthony Bennett avg 9 ppg, 3 rpg on 33%fg in six D-league games this year

Saw a thread about this on NBA Reddit.

The sad truth is that even Kwame Brown had a much more prolific career than Mr. Bennett.

I remember Bill Simmons losing his shit when Anthony Bennett was called up for the first pick

Saw him live when he played in Mississauga. Was not impressed and I knew he was a goner after this season was done. Turns out he would get released even before that and got bought out for Jason Thompson.

Kid's been a disaster.

Serious playground baller Mawly-G's Avatar

I wonder wtf the Cavs were thinking when they drafted him...

I know the 2013 draft was considered to be weak at the time, but I wonder what they saw in him.

At his best, what do ya'll think his ceiling was? A poor man's Larry Johnson?

For comparison:

Jimmer avg 21/5/4 on 46% shooting in the D-league

NBA role players mop up the D-League, what the hell happened to Mr. UNLV?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilocon165
    LeBeast would've turned him into a spot up shooter.

#LeBeast
    Fixed

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Easily easily the worst pick of all time. Not his fault though that the Cavs scouting was that bad. He just got paid off it.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Easily easily the worst pick of all time. Not his fault though that the Cavs scouting was that bad. He just got paid off it.

he was mocked as a lotto pick by everyone.

His best season was his disappointing rookie year. He had a stretch of decent performances toward the end of the season where it was looking like he was starting to turn things around.

The dude is just a soft minded baby. Got less and less confident in his abilities as time went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mawly-G
    I wonder wtf the Cavs were thinking when they drafted him...

I know the 2013 draft was considered to be weak at the time, but I wonder what they saw in him.

At his best, what do ya'll think his ceiling was? A poor man's Larry Johnson?

i think that was the most common comp for him.

didnt think it was possible but he surpassed Oden
    Canada and Toronto stay holdin these Ls _iggins

Michael Olowakandi, Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic, and Andrea Bargnani can relax now.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    he was mocked as a lotto pick by everyone.

His best season was his disappointing rookie year. He had a stretch of decent performances toward the end of the season where it was looking like he was starting to turn things around.

The dude is just a soft minded baby. Got less and less confident in his abilities as time went on.
    Lotto pick and #1 overall are 2 different things. It's very hard to pick such a bust in the NBA. Yea they happen, but not to that extent. A #1 pick bust usually turns out to be a serviceable role player. Bennett isn't even good enough for D League.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Lotto pick and #1 overall are 2 different things. It's very hard to pick such a bust in the NBA. Yea they happen, but not to that extent. A #1 pick bust usually turns out to be a serviceable role player. Bennett isn't even good enough for D League.

they took him over a guy that would have sat a season with a torn ACL, a 6'3'' combo guard after just taking one the year prior, A center with stress fracture issues, Otto Porter designated career role player, and Cody f*cking Zeller.

It was definitely a swing for the fences pick. They went for the guy who had the highest upside with a big bust potential and it failed. Chris Grant was fired midway through the season afterwards.

And if you recall there was clearly no consensus top 3 players that year.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    they took him over a guy that would have sat a season with a torn ACL, a 6'3'' combo guard after just taking one the year prior, A center with stress fracture issues, Otto Porter designated career role player, and Cody f*cking Zeller.

It was definitely a swing for the fences pick. They went for the guy who had the highest upside with a big bust potential and it failed. Chris Grant was fired midway through the season afterwards.

And if you recall there was clearly no consensus top 3 players that year.
    Nerlens Noel was the consensus, but like you said he was injured. Still should have picked him. You could have picked anyone in the top 15 and made a better pick than Bennett.