Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: The Unathletic 70's and 80`s Player, Julius Erving

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    You learnt about Ralph Sampsons and you can't stop posting about him.

Name me someone built like Howard with his hops and strength.

Prime Shaquille & Wilt.. two obvious ones. I believe there is more

Name me someone as quick, strong, leaping ability, all round game like Lebron.

LBJ is best combination of size, strength, and speed I have seen in NBA

Name me someone that can jump as high as Vince Carter and has better body control in the air.

young MJ (not as good dunker) jumping is debateable but body control is not

Name me someone that can jump a foot back from the free throw line and dunk it like James White.

Mike Conley Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Prime Shaq is very much apart of this era. He is part of the 00's as that is when he started to dominate. Once again, Wilt an exception and in a time way back when. Not in the 80's specifically when Sir Charles is leading his investigation from.

Vince Carter has the best body controll in the air I have ever seen.

Mike Conely Sr? Video please. I've seen the start of it, but I didn't get to see the full dunk, they simply cut to someone's reaction as he is dunking it. Furthermore can he windmill it, 2 hand, between the legs from the free throw line?

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

I`ve know about Ralph Sampson since i was around 15 and you still havent named a Faster, More Agil, Leaping and Ballhandling 7`4er than Sampson

Wilt was Stronger and Could Leap More and had a Superior Winspam.
    Shaq is from 92 draft (close to the 80s than today`s players) and 10 Times Stronger than Howard and So is Barkley on the low post but also 10 times faster

Barkley is Stronger and Faster and played PF at 6`4 5/8 that is more incredible than a 6`7/6`8 245- lbs SF that can leap and has great ball handling skills. I`d take Prime 93 draft Grant Hill skill wise more than Lebron on the "Floor Game".

Name me someone that can jump as high as Vince Carter and has better body control in the air.

80s Spud Webb...

Name me someone that can jump a foot back from the free throw line and dunk it like James White.

Ill name you players that can Jump from the Free Throw line BUT....TAN TAN TANAAAAAA..

CAN ALSO PLAY THE GAME
    HAVE FUNDAMENTALS
    AND DOMINATE THE GAME

Dr J, Pippen, Erving, Drexler and even Kemp (lacked fundamentals but at 6`10 very athletic indeed)

Other fast 6`10er that Could Play and Dunk Nice: Tom Chambers.

Oh as for the first step. Look at Carmelo. He has one of the best first steps I've ever seen.

No 6`9er is as Quick as James Worthy on the 1st Step Ever

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=DHkE2f...eature=related

Power Foward quicker then Malone? I can name plenty

Faster i ment. Fast + As Strong (Arms Too) Full Court Fast Paced Game for 40 of play...

Very good NBA starter

Prime Shaq is very much apart of this era. He is part of the 00's as that is when he started to dominate. Once again, Wilt an exception and in a time way back when. Not in the 80's specifically when Sir Charles is leading his investigation from.

Vince Carter has the best body controll in the air I have ever seen.

Mike Conely Sr? Video please. I've seen the start of it, but I didn't get to see the full dunk, they simply cut to someone's reaction as he is dunking it. Furthermore can he windmill it, 2 hand, between the legs from the free throw line?
    Prime shaq is a part of 90s too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles

I`ve know about Ralph Sampson since i was around 15 and you still havent named a Faster, More Agil, Leaping and Ballhandling 7`4er than Sampson

Shaq is from 92 draft (close to the 80s than today`s players) and 10 Times Stronger than Howard and So is Barkley on the low post but also 10 times faster

Barkley is Stronger and Faster and played PF at 6`4 5/8 that is more incredible than a 6`7/6`8 245- lbs SF that can leap and has great ball handling skills. I`d take Prime 93 draft Grant Hill skill wise more than Lebron on the "Floor Game".

80s Spud Webb...

Ill name you players that can Jump from the Free Throw line BUT....TAN TAN TANAAAAAA..

CAN ALSO PLAY THE GAME
    HAVE FUNDAMENTALS
    AND DOMINATE THE GAME

Dr J, Pippen, Erving, Drexler and even Kemp (lacked fundamentals but at 6`10 very athletic indeed)

Oh as for the first step. Look at Carmelo. He has one of the best first steps I've ever seen.

Faster i ment. Fast + As Strong (Arms Too) Full Court Fast Paced Game for 40 of play...

See this is why you can't be pleased. Because if the argument is going against you, you ask for different criteria. First its about being the best athlete and then its about having fundamentals while being the best athlete. What the hell do you want? Stick to a criteria.

Spud Webb does not have better body controll or jump on him then Vince. I can name you Nate Robinson who is better then Spud in that case.

Furthermore you are using players from the 60's now like Wilt? 60's were more athletic then 70's, 80's and 90's as well then.

Whatever Sir Charles. I'm sick of debating this. You are wrong, and its fact. Look at mankind, we progress, not regress. Humans become more and more adapt. Quicker, stronger, faster, better.

Why do you think every track, swimming, speed event all get their records broken as time goes on? Because humans are more adapt, have better awareness, are stronger, quicker, and getting better at nearly everything.

Basketball is not going to be the only sport where there is a regress in athletes. Open up your eyes, get of Barkley's cok and all the other players before and recognize that players are progressing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Charles

80s Spud Webb...

CAN ALSO PLAY THE GAME
    HAVE FUNDAMENTALS
    AND DOMINATE THE GAME

1. Wilt Chamberlain may have been stronger (very subjective), but there is no way in hell you can say he is a better leaper.

2. Barkley is neither faster nor stronger than LeBron. LeBron is easily one of the if not the strongest players in today's NBA and only a select group of players are faster than him.

3. Spud Webb does not have better body control than VC. The man only had two different dunks.

4. LeBron James has a quicker first step than Worthy.

5. Amare is better fastbreak PF than Malone.

Players are more athletic, quicker, stronger, more skilled then previous generations of basketball.
    There are two things I have to say on this:

1. It's false.

2. Even if the physical aspects were true, those things don't necessarily make better ball players.

Let me address this one at a time. First, players in the 70's and 80's were not inferior athletically. This is a misconception a lot of people are getting nowadays. The things that are different today that make it seem that way are things like the advancement in treatments and training, as well as economics and the expansion of the game.

Treatments can help a player recover from injury quicker, and some surgery techniques can keep a player's career going when it would have ended in previous eras, etc. The climate of today's game makes players reach their physical peak easier and keep it there, whereas players from the previous eras broke down earlier.

Also, players in the 50's and 60's didn't make a ton of money. Some players actually had to have regular jobs in the offseasons. Today's athletes can make their living off the game, and can dedicate a lot more of their time in training and developing themselves. That wasn't the case early on, and there was also racial discrimination where the best black athletes didn't necessarily get a lot of playing time on the court. Not to mention that the game wasn't as popular as it is now, and there is a more vast talent pool in the US, as well as internationally.

Just for example, Julius Erving, George Gervin, Connie Hawkins, David Thompson, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem, Spud Webb, Darrell Griffith, Clyde Drexler, Kareem, Gilmore, Wilkins, Kemp, etc were amazing athletes.

My second point on this is that even if that assumption about the physical superiority were true, it doesn't mean that those aspects make a better ball player. Players have shown that intelligence and skills can compensate for raw athletic talent. That's why Stromile Swift and JR Smith aren't top players in the game, even though they are some of the top athletes in the league. That's why guys like McHale, Hornacek, Stockton, Price, Divac, Sabonis, etc were effective players against others who might have been physically superior.

And as far as your skills part, that's totally false. Players today would get called for a travel or carrying the ball almost every time down the court if they tried playing in the older leagues. The art of shooting the ball has been lost, unless it's from beyond the 3 point line. Players don't execute fundamental plays, like boxing out or setting screens correctly. Many players that have gotten by on their physical superiority in high school and college never learn the finer points of the game. The very fact that centers can't even learn a simple hook shot still amazes me.

Sir Charles, you even said it in the other thread, although due to your lack of awareness, you probably didn't realize. You said players before were just stronger, but players today are stronger because of their diet and training regimes. Well guess what? Stronger is stronger whichever way you want to look at it.
    Do you really think guys like Wilt Chamberlain, Kevin Willis, Moses Malone, Artis Gilmore, Karl Malone, Willis Reed, Mel Daniels, etc were weak compared to modern centers like Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, and Andrew Bynum? Do you really think that Kobe or Wade's strength when they drive to the basket is superior to Bernard King or Adrian Dantley? Top to bottom, if you look at the league today, rosters aren't filled with stronger players. And the game has changed to where strength doesn't mean what it once did.
    Last edited by Showtime; 11-14-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Very good NBA starter

See this is why you can't be pleased. Because if the argument is going against you, you ask for different criteria. First its about being the best athlete and then its about having fundamentals while being the best athlete. What the hell do you want? Stick to a criteria.

Spud Webb does not have better body controll or jump on him then Vince. I can name you Nate Robinson who is better then Spud in that case.

Furthermore you are using players from the 60's now like Wilt? 60's were more athletic then 70's, 80's and 90's as well then.

Whatever Sir Charles. I'm sick of debating this. You are wrong, and its fact. Look at mankind, we progress, not regress. Humans become more and more adapt. Quicker, stronger, faster, better.

Why do you think every track, swimming, speed event all get their records broken as time goes on? Because humans are more adapt, have better awareness, are stronger, quicker, and getting better at nearly everything.

Basketball is not going to be the only sport where there is a regress in athletes. Open up your eyes, get of Barkley's cok and all the other players before and recognize that players are progressing.
    How do u post pics and watch Number 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUf-9ruJi8 head above rim.(He shorter then LJ too) Pippen also has dunks with his head above rim.

Why are records being broken constantly? Why are the records set back in 1960's in all sports still not standing if they were better athletes?

So basketball is the only sport where the game has regressed. Ok I believe you, how was I so foolish...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    How do u post pics and watch Number 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUf-9ruJi8 head above rim.(He shorter then LJ too) Pippen also has dunks with his head above rim.
    His head is never above the rim on his 4th dunk over Bird...

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    His head is never above the rim on his 4th dunk over Bird...
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime

1. It's false.

2. Even if the physical aspects were true, those things don't necessarily make better ball players.

Let me address this one at a time. First, players in the 70's and 80's were not inferior athletically. This is a misconception a lot of people are getting nowadays. The things that are different today that make it seem that way are things like the advancement in treatments and training, as well as economics and the expansion of the game.

Treatments can help a player recover from injury quicker, and some surgery techniques can keep a player's career going when it would have ended in previous eras, etc. The climate of today's game makes players reach their physical peak easier and keep it there, whereas players from the previous eras broke down earlier.

Also, players in the 50's and 60's didn't make a ton of money. Some players actually had to have regular jobs in the offseasons. Today's athletes can make their living off the game, and can dedicate a lot more of their time in training and developing themselves. That wasn't the case early on, and there was also racial discrimination where the best black athletes didn't necessarily get a lot of playing time on the court. Not to mention that the game wasn't as popular as it is now, and there is a more vast talent pool in the US, as well as internationally.

Just for example, Julius Erving, George Gervin, Connie Hawkins, David Thompson, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem, Spud Webb, Darrell Griffith, Clyde Drexler, Kareem, Gilmore, Wilkins, Kemp, etc were amazing athletes.

My second point on this is that even if that assumption were true, it doesn't mean that those aspects make a better ball player. Players have shown that intelligence and skills can compensate for raw athletic talent. That's why Stromile Swift and JR Smith aren't top players in the game, even though they are some of the top athletes in the league. That's why guys like McHale, Hornacek, Stockton, Price, Divac, Sabonis, etc were effective players against others who might have been physically superior.

And as far as your skills part, that's totally false. Players today would get called for a travel or carrying the ball almost every time down the court. The art of shooting the ball has been lost, unless it's from beyond the 3 point line. Players don't execute fundamental plays, like boxing out or setting screens correctly. Many players that have gotten by on their physical superiority in high school and college never learn the finer points of the game.

Do you really think guys like Wilt Chamberlain, Kevin Willis, Moses Malone, Artis Gilmore, Karl Malone, Willis Reed, Mel Daniels, etc were weak compared to modern centers like Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, and Andrew Bynum? Do you really think that Kobe or Wade's strength when they drive to the basket is superior to Bernard King or Adrian Dantley? Top to bottom, if you look at the league today, rosters aren't filled with stronger players. And the game has changed to where strength doesn't mean what it once did.

There are more stars now the ever before.

Why do you think they changed the defensive rules? Players were becoming to good at defense due to becoming better athletes. They were quicker, could step across quicker and stop a drive, stronger and could keep a player out of the paint.

It's fact.

Look at the records, look at progress in other sports, look at the athletes of today. There is no way in hell basketball is the only sport that has gotten worse so cut the crap and stop di ck riding previous generations due to nostalgia or because your favourite players were around at the time. Because the fact is, everything progresses and gets better in the world of sports.

Banned

Yes it is.
    Someone please look at this idiot's video. Wilkins is at least an inch with his head under the rim.

Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime

1. It's false.

1. its true

2. yes it does.

Yes it is.
    LOL no where near. But I don't doubt he could have. Though this doesn't change anything. There are exceptions and exceptional athletes in each era that stand out from the rest.