Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Default Re: Can the Spurs trade Tony Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi
    Stats back my opinion. Games do also.

3rd quarter: 7:11 66-62 Patty Mills enters the game for Tony Parker
    4th quarter: 7:48 79-101 Tony Parker enters the game for Patty Mills

26 point turnaround.
    Hahahaha, the Spurs went on a run in a game against a team's second unit! Wow, alert the media! Parker has never been part of a run! Hahahaha, wow. And you guys are serious.

You're living in the past. Parker was good to great a few years ago, and his defense wasn't as much of an issue for he scored 20 a game on very good percentages. Nowadays, he isn't much better than Kobe or Rose.

The team is statistically worse when Parker is on the floor. God, I wonder why.
    Lol, so you're saying the difference between the Spurs bench and the other team's is greater than the difference between the Spurs starters and the other team's? Wow, are you serious?! You mean Pop playing Ginobili from the bench has an actual purpose?! Wow, you must be a long-time Spurs fan to make such astute observations!

Hahha and yah Parker was "good to great." Because that's how you describe a guy who led the MVP race at one point and dropped to 6th in voting because he got injured. Then finished 6th in the MVP race again. That's "good to great." Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    Lol, so you're saying the difference between the Spurs bench and the other team's is greater than the difference between the Spurs starters and the other team's? Wow, are you serious?! You mean Pop playing Ginobili from the bench has an actual purpose?! Wow, you must be a long-time Spurs fan to make such astute observations!

Hahha and yah Parker was "good to great." Because that's how you describe a guy who led the MVP race at one point and dropped to 6th in voting because he got injured. Then finished 6th in the MVP race again. That's "good to great." Lol.
    When did Parker ever lead the MVP race?

When did Parker ever lead the MVP race?
    Near the end of 2012-13 when Parker was peaking right before he got injured. They don't have archives of every week, but here is one random archive where he was second:

http://2013--nba--news.blogspot.com/...vp-ladder.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DBvt2PGxtcgBOA
    Last edited by ninephive; 11-09-2015 at 04:42 PM.

The Pop being a terrible coach is obviously sarcastic, thus he knows what he's doing in the rotations. Obviously he knows the success Patty has against second units and utilizes him well (same with Manu). It's not that they couldn't be starters, just that their efficiency would obviously suffer tremendously (as anyone's would).

Pop knew in crunch time (Game 7s), Patty's not going to be as good. Which is why he was 2/6 for 6 points on 33% shooting (with 1 assist, lol). Parker on the other hand goes 10/21 for 20 points on 48% shooting (with 5 assists), including making the Spurs last basket. Pop knows Patty can't handle Game 7 pressure (and neither can Kawhi), which is why they folded. Parker and Duncan carried them like they have when it counts for years and made the game winnable.

But I don't blame Pop for running the last play for Kawhi. Is there less chance he's going to convert? Well, obviously yes, especially considering how unbelievably terrible he had been for the last 3 games of the series, but at some point we have to pass the baton.

And as far as Mills being super-productive? Lol. He outscored Parker in ONE GAME of that entire series. Please.
    Mills averaged about half the minutes Parker did - so outscoring him in one game is not so laughable.

Did you miss the stat where Parker had a 6.5 PER and Mills a 23.4 PER?
    Last edited by rmt; 11-09-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    It's an over-reaction to the other side - those who would crown Parker the Spurs best player from 2007 until the emergence of Kawhi. They would disregard the fact that defense is half of the game. The truth is that Duncan always anchors the defense and the big 3 have been trading/sharing the offensive end since 2005. And because of his defense, Duncan (save maybe for a poor 2011) has been the Spurs best player.

When the Spurs start being more guard dependent that when Duncan stop being their best player. Parker and Duncan dynamic is similar to the Magic and Kareem situation.

Near the end of 2012-13 when Parker was peaking right before he got injured. They don't have archives of every week, but here is one random archive where he was second:

http://2013--nba--news.blogspot.com/...vp-ladder.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DBvt2PGxtcgBOA
    Indeed, he was 2nd. He never led anything. James was putting up historically great numbers during Parkers so called MVP run. It is absurd to think Parker was actually in contention. Outrageous I would say. Because in reality, it was James, and no one else was close. Not Parker, not Durant, not Anthony, not Paul.

Yes, Parker had a great season in 2013. Yes, without the hamstring issue the Spurs probably win 5 a year early. But don't come out here saying he was leading the MVP race, because that is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by houston
    When the Spurs start being more guard dependent that when Duncan stop being their best player. Parker and Duncan dynamic is similar to the Magic and Kareem situation.
    Again, some forget that defense is half of the game.

Again, some forget that defense is half of the game.

Defense is the last thing you look for when judging overall player impact. Tony never been a great defender hell in his prime he was just ok.

I say about 2010 Duncan stop being the team best player and I'll give him '13 season since it was flashback season.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Parker has declined but it would be very stupid to disrupt their long standing chemistry when they're in for a last hurrah. No other PG would fill his shoes when it comes to running the Spurs system. Pop knows Parker's limitations and I'm pretty sure he'll know how to make the best use of what he has left to win games.
    I saw way way too much of him against the clippers to believe pop won't make a mistake because he likes parker.

NBA lottery pick

Defense is the last thing you look for when judging overall player impact. Tony never been a great defender hell in his prime he was just ok.

I say about 2010 Duncan stop being the team best player and I'll give him '13 season since it was flashback season.
    You when you judge player impact, the FIRST thing you look at his defense! At least when we're talking title contenders. If we're talking 8th seeds maybe you're right.

That isn't to say Parker wasn't at times the spurs best player. Parker had some GREAT years and his defense while never great wasn't as bad as a few people here are implying.

I don't agree that defense is the last thing to look at when judging overall player impact. Especially as a Spur fan, that's what the Spurs hung their hats on throughout the majority of their run.

I don't agree that defense is the last thing to look at when judging overall player impact. Especially as a Spur fan, that's what the Spurs hung their hats on throughout the majority of their run.

Yea it is people confuse team defense with individual defense. It been plenty of great players that was terrible defenders.

Indeed, he was 2nd. He never led anything. James was putting up historically great numbers during Parkers so called MVP run. It is absurd to think Parker was actually in contention. Outrageous I would say. Because in reality, it was James, and no one else was close. Not Parker, not Durant, not Anthony, not Paul.

Yes, Parker had a great season in 2013. Yes, without the hamstring issue the Spurs probably win 5 a year early. But don't come out here saying he was leading the MVP race, because that is a lie.
    He led it for at least one week. They just don't have all the weekly archives. Do you have the archives for all the leaders for each week that season? You sound pretty confident and that would be a weird thing for you to just randomly have memorized.

And as far as it being "absurd," lots and lots of commentators were saying Parker was the MVP at that point. Barkley and Kenny Smith both were saying it along with Bill Simmons just to name a few.
    Last edited by ninephive; 11-10-2015 at 03:36 PM.