Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Philadelphia 0-6

Quote Originally Posted by notatop29pg
    What are the teams respective records since the trade?

The wins column is the only judge.

But yes, Philly might win 25+ in 85yrs.

You realize Noel has played in more games as a 76ers than Jrue has in NOLA? He'd have more opportunity to positively impact the team as such.

Not doing that trade wouldn't have prevented the Pellies from other moves they made- in fact, they'd have more cap space had the still done all their other signings and trades.

It also reflects a difference in ownerships' stances- Philly is willing to be
    a bottom team to hit on draft picks. NOLA wanted playoffs asap.

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared

You realize Noel has played in more games as a 76ers than Jrue has in NOLA? He'd have more opportunity to positively impact the team as such.

Not doing that trade wouldn't have prevented the Pellies from other moves they made- in fact, they'd have more cap space had the still done all their other signings and trades.

It also reflects a difference in ownerships' stances- Philly is willing to be
    a bottom team to hit on draft picks. NOLA wanted playoffs asap.
    And with the superstar Noel being such an ironman how many games have they won since the trade?

So far NOLA has at least made the playoffs.. Philly has draft picks.. 2 of which dont/cant/wont even play.

Noel/Davis would be cool.... but lets not pretend Noel is a difference maker yet.

Decent college freshman

And with the superstar Noel being such an ironman how many games have they won since the trade?

So far NOLA has at least made the playoffs.. Philly has draft picks.. 2 of which dont/cant/wont even play.

Noel/Davis would be cool.... but lets not pretend Noel is a difference maker yet.
    He missed an entire season and has still played in more games- aka he played more games in his rookie year (2nd season in NBA) than Jrue did in 2 years in NOLA.

You seem to not care about logic. Philly is building through the draft and NOLA shipped out picks and used up all its cap space to bring in vets to accelerate a rebuild. That completely changes the W-L equation- one team cares and another doesn't. One player can't change the fact his FO is willing to lose. And how are you holding against Noel the fact that Hinkie took a Euro stash and an injured player in 2014? Should we now hold AD responsible for his FO's incompetence? No, that would be unwise.

Noel had the best defensive rookie season since the NBA-ABA merger. When he plays C this year, Philly is playing D at a top 5 level. Last year they were a fringe top 10 defense with him on the floor.

NN was a better defender as a rookie than Asik was for New Orleans last year. They gave Asik a $60M/5 year contract for his efforts. NN was better in DPM, DBPM, WAR, and RPM. Asik had him beat in OPM. They gave up a first round pick to get a C like Asik one offseason after they traded Noel. Everybody else low-balled Houston and they gave up a first for him.

You are also ignoring that Noel makes less than Jrue- hence they could have signed another guy (starting salary above the MLE) to help build depth. Noel has more trade value if they wanted to use him as a package. Jrue doesn't have as much trade value.

If you don't get it after those points, I can't explain it better. The trade was a disaster.

Not airballing my layups anymore

2 top 10 picks.........., plus another 2 picks, Saric coming next year, and maybe Embiid.............

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Wait...people are actually defending the Noel trade?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Wait...people are actually defending the Noel trade?

Yep, and the entire reasoning is the teams' records after the trade. That's the logic people are using to defend it in favor of NOLA.

And it's Noel's fault that Embiid hasn't played yet or Saric was unsuccessful in trying to force his way of a contract 1 year early this past summer.

For the record, I think Hinkie has to really kill it next summer. He really does. The 2014 draft was supposed to bring in many talented players but the picks didn't convey. If the picks don't convey once more, well, then he shouldn't get blamed I guess. But the value we put on those picks should decrease potentially.

I am in the camp that all picks convey, however, and that there will be roster turnover this summer. He doesn't have the same cap space advantage this offseason. Needs to sniff out deals to land studs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Yep, and the entire reasoning is the teams' records after the trade. That's the logic people are using to defend it in favor of NOLA.

And it's Noel's fault that Embiid hasn't played yet or Saric was unsuccessful in trying to force his way of a contract 1 year early this past summer.

For the record, I think Hinkie has to really kill it next summer. He really does. The 2014 draft was supposed to bring in many talented players but the picks didn't convey. If the picks don't convey once more, well, then he shouldn't get blamed I guess. But the value we put on those picks should decrease potentially.

I am in the camp that all picks convey, however, and that there will be roster turnover this summer. He doesn't have the same cap space advantage this offseason. Needs to sniff out deals to land studs.

The Sixers are fine. Okafor and Noel are legit and Saric will likely be very good.

And they just raped the Kings in a trade.

I agree that they need to start thinking about putting out a team that can win some games next season. I bet they do.

Decent college freshman

The Sixers are fine. Okafor and Noel are legit and Saric will likely be very good.

I agree that they need to start thinking about putting out a team that can win some games next season. I bet they do.
    This board has lost a lot of rational posters. I guess some people can't comprehend a vision for roster construction or rebuilding through the draft.

I think Saric will be good, but will best be suited as a killer 3rd big. His face up game can anchor a bench unit imo. The Kings trade helps their quest for ping pong balls and that future first will look really great if/when Cousins leaves.

I bet Okafor is traded next summer. Gut feeling but Noel needs to play C for majority of his mins and he fits better in modern NBA. I think between the their own pick and the LAL first (assuming it conveys), they'll have two top-6 picks. I think Okafor is moved to either land a guy like PG-13 (if Indy crashes/burns, which isn't super likely) or acquire another top 6 pick.

I think Okafor will be better than Big Al/Kanter, but I'd rather try to land 3 of Simmons/Ingram/Skal/Bender/Brown/Murray or get at least 1 of them + established star than find out if Jah will start playing hard on D. I think Okafor's value after this year will be boosted due to his offensive counting stats.

NBA lottery pick

Until they can sign a Durant type player OR draft one, they should keep trading their assets for more asset down the road. I'd rather have an extra 10 first round picks from 2020-2025 for example than win 40 games and have maybe a first round exit from the playoffs. Until you have a franchise player, you're better off getting ping pong balls.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    Until they can sign a Durant type player OR draft one, they should keep trading their assets for more asset down the road. I'd rather have an extra 10 first round picks from 2020-2025 for example than win 40 games and have maybe a first round exit from the playoffs. Until you have a franchise player, you're better off getting ping pong balls.
    I don't want to speak for DMAVS41, but I don't think he meant they'll gear up to go from 20 wins this year to 40 wins next season by signing some vets to overpays.

I think Hinkie needs to find a way to consolidate some picks/players into 2-3 top-end players. They have a couple good role players (Covington, potentially Stauskas, etc.). They have potential rotation bigs (Wood, Holmes) that should grow. They have other athletic freaks that may develop some useful Js. I think they can combine picks + one young guy (or more) to move up in the draft for another blue-chipper if a trade for a guy like Paul George doesn't materialize.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Okafor doing work

What are the teams respective records since the trade?

The wins column is the only judge.

But yes, Philly might win 25+ in 85yrs.

Short-sighted and non-sensical. Congrats. Late-lottery purgatory here you come.

NBA lottery pick

I don't want to speak for DMAVS41, but I don't think he meant they'll gear up to go from 20 wins this year to 40 wins next season by signing some vets to overpays.

I think Hinkie needs to find a way to consolidate some picks/players into 2-3 top-end players. They have a couple good role players (Covington, potentially Stauskas, etc.). They have potential rotation bigs (Wood, Holmes) that should grow. They have other athletic freaks that may develop some useful Js. I think they can combine picks + one young guy (or more) to move up in the draft for another blue-chipper if a trade for a guy like Paul George doesn't materialize.
    Agree. They're looking for people like Cousins to come available. They're looking to show case young guys who get minutes and convert them into picks.

Reality is next year if they add 4 first round picks and they're legit talent. They should be better. They'll have without trades a legit group of nba level players. They're better off trading some of those guys at least that's my view and it sounds like you're in agreement.

BTW this team isn't boring to watch. Like they are legitimately fun at times. If I were a philly fan I'd not mind watching them even if they loose.

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7

Short-sighted and non-sensical. Congrats. Late-lottery purgatory here you come.
    So basically the same as second round purgatory but higher draft picks?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    Agree. They're looking for people like Cousins to come available. They're looking to show case young guys who get minutes and convert them into picks.

Reality is next year if they add 4 first round picks and they're legit talent. They should be better. They'll have without trades a legit group of nba level players. They're better off trading some of those guys at least that's my view and it sounds like you're in agreement.

BTW this team isn't boring to watch. Like they are legitimately fun at times. If I were a philly fan I'd not mind watching them even if they loose.
    I've caught a couple of their games recently and they max out for a half or so and it's awesome to watch. They just run out of gas and/or talent lol after that but this team isn't terrible to watch at all.

And they've been without a healthy Covington, their best offensive player last season, for basically the whole year. I think a couple games he played he was banged up.

I agree- if the right trade comes along, I'd pull the trigger. I'd always be open to offers. I wouldn't even be afraid to move Okafor.