Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain swishes four 3-point range hook shots in a row

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    I don't think so. I mean, Magic and Jordan I think were doing hook shots near or at the 3pt line while they were on the dream team I believe. Vince Carter made a shot while sitting down on the other side of the court I think. Or he did it at half court.

Not too hard to believe that ppl did those things back then as well as now.

It's what you do in game that matters.
    ya this kinda stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGabY6DMMw

check at 00:40 into that clip most monstrous.

my favorite is at 2:53 Chairman of the Board slamming his point across...

And of course at the end of the clip is when you get the freaking heart attack and die because he went to the top on a vertical lol

guy that made that video is very creative in that idea

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    his lingering skepticism is funny cause I think he's being serious
    I am serious, yes. Problem? It's from a 'documentary' doesn't cut it for me. I just watched the sequence. It is rather strange that one guy if sinking 3 point hook shots and the camera is not focusing on the dude's attempts, but some other guy's face and the rim.

I don't even doubt Wilt could do it. He may well have been able to. I just doubt it happened at the time this clip was made. I actually believe Wilt having sunk four such shots in, say, 3 minutes. I doubt it happened within 40 seconds, 4 in a row, just at the time a camera was there which somehow wasn't filming the actual shots but closeups of the rim and another guy's face.

However, as I said I may be wrong. There is nothing I can or cannot believe will make Wilt any worse than he acually was. Or better, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    I am serious, yes. Problem? It's from a 'documentary' doesn't cut it for me. I just watched the sequence. It is rather strange that one guy if sinking 3 point hook shots and the camera is not focusing on the dude's attempts, but some other guy's face and the rim.

I don't even doubt Wilt could do it. He may well have been able to. I just doubt it happened at the time this clip was made. I actually believe Wilt having sunk four such shots in, say, 3 minutes. I doubt it happened within 40 seconds, 4 in a row, just at the time a camera was there which somehow wasn't filming the actual shots but closeups of the rim and another guy's face.

However, as I said I may be wrong. There is nothing I can or cannot believe will make Wilt any worse than he acually was. Or better, for that matter.

Do you realize you are acting the same way those Kobe and LeBron stans do whom you so much despise? Why does it bother you that someone is not convinced? It won't hurt your hero, relax.

I'm not offended you think it did happen the way it is told, and right at the time the clip was made. I don't. The clip was not too convincing to me. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If so, it happened before, no biggie.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

"Indiana. Let it go."

I told you from almost your first ish post that people on this board would deny visual, filmed evidence of Chamberlain at the top. And sure enough when you brought it, they denied it. This isn't any different.
    Some people think the earth is flat; and there is nothing that anyone can do to change that.

I bet a skill like that took a lot of practice from Wilt. Practice that would be better served on his lowsy freethrow shooting

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    "Indiana. Let it go."

I told you from almost your first ish post that people on this board would deny visual, filmed evidence of Chamberlain at the top. And sure enough when you brought it, they denied it. This isn't any different.
    Some people think the earth is flat; and there is nothing that anyone can do to change that.
    This is not something I call filmed evidence. It was filmed that Wilt said to have hit 4 consecutive hook shots on a row. You can clearly see one and there was another oone that seemed like it. That's pretty good in itself. However, we can't see a filmed evidence of 4 such shots in a row. We can see a swish and a player saying damn. This may be evidence to you, but it isn't to me.

Then again: I don't really doubt Wilt could do this. My doubts center around this very motion picture.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Wilt was a gotdamn Harlem globetrotter and people have trouble with the idea that hes actually making long hooks?

Have you ever seen a globetrotter game? Or even old footage? The team he played with had guys making overhand touchdown pass looking shots from 50 feet....on a regular basis. Its what they did.

NBA players are a lot better than people seem to believe at such things. Ive seen Chris Webber make sitting down threes in practice like nothing. Ever see Manute Bol shoot 3s in practice? Even...long after he retired?

Wilt not being a shooter in game doesnt mean much. there have been stories on him actually being able to shoot for 50 years. At that point he had been playing basketball for 20 years. Including time on what was damn near a professional trick shot team full of borderline magicians famous for halfcourt hooks, fancy dunks, and slight of hand pranks with the ball.

It shouldnt be hard to believe he makes these shots with ease. He probably worked on them on tour for a year.

It really doesnt matter if there is footage or not with wilt. It has to be well shot perfect footage? In the 70s? We dont have perfect footage of most of the NBA finals from that era.

But what should I expect when people tell me that if Wilt could really dunk from the FT line someone would have filmed and saved it....in a 50s high school game in Kansas....when even the NBA finals at the time have been lost or unseen for decades.

There was not high quality camera work and footage of everything until deep into the 90s. Hell there is bad camera work now. Ive still yet to see Josh Smiths reverse 360 in the dunk contest from a good angle. And there were 20 HD cameras on him.......

But if Wilt in a workout 40 years ago wasnt properly shot and edited its fake?

I cant wait till footage leaks of him doing some of the dunk contest dunks hes said to have done on TV in Paris globetrotter games leaks. Have some xfiles ass dudes on here searching for the "truth"

LOL thanks for the morning chuckles

This is not something I call filmed evidence. It was filmed that Wilt said to have hit 4 consecutive hook shots on a row. You can clearly see one and there was another oone that seemed like it. That's pretty good in itself. However, we can't see a filmed evidence of 4 such shots in a row. We can see a swish and a player saying damn. This may be evidence to you, but it isn't to me.

Then again: I don't really doubt Wilt could do this. My doubts center around this very motion picture.
    Is this you?:

Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 11-21-2012 at 12:26 PM.

This is like the time you speed up the footage of Wilt to make him look more impressive,
    True.

Also, what is the basis for "3 point range". Sure doesn't look like it to me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    It shouldnt be hard to believe he makes these shots with ease. He probably worked on them on tour for a year.
    I do believe he made such shots. I just don't believe it happened at the time this clip was made. It's pretty hard to believe. The camera is there. We are talking about Wilt. Hook shots. 3 point range. 4 in a row. We have a camera.

Yet, the actual shots themselves are not filmed (except 1). Why? It was simply unimportant? Then why have the camera there to begin with?

By the way, I couldn't care less if Wilt could or couldn't hit these shots. He is dead. I can do exactly nothing that would make his fame smaller. Not that I woulld like to do any such thing.

BTW, why is it so important to you guys? Why should everyone believe this? to some of you, this clip was evidence. To me, it was not. It's not the end of the world.

Is this you?
    You are simply being rude and condescending. I don't really mind but you don't look like a mature citizen in the process. Your reasoning to all the things I wrote was a few gifs and some words in condescending manner. "This guy is not worth talking to, he is a tool."

We could have had a conversation instead.

You are simply being rude and condescending. I don't really mind but you don't look like a mature citizen in the process. Your reasoning to all the things I wrote was a few gifs and some words in condescending manner. "This guy is not worth talking to, he is a tool."

We could have had a conversation instead.
    To summarize your previously stated opinon:
    the event happened, just not at the time the footage was filmed

Just how is anyone supposed to have a serious conversation with you with an opinion like that?

I'd rather have a conversation with someone who is being a blunt (but logical) asshole than someone polite but reminds me of a loose-change conspiracy theorist. I can relate to an asshole, I can't relate to hoakie conspiracy theorists who hyperanalyzes and discredits footage due to being *edited* as if the editing was meant to do anything other than SAVE TIME.

No, that must not be why it's edited it's too simple - instead you think it more likely that the video editor and makers of the documentary (about the Lakers mind you... not about Wilt) were trying to sneakily straight up trick everyone who watches the documentary... the scene was nothing but filler footage - but you think a video editor thought it important enough to spent time and go well out of his way on the 25 second sequence to try to crudely give the illusion that Wilt sank 4 buckets in a row for no reason at all (seeing as how you think footage of the event doesn't actually exist as they show it) cause he felt that that was important for a documentary on the 1972 Lakers. Forget the far more plausible scenario where the event actually happend and it caught the editors eye an he said "oooooh hey let's put that in!" (Except the sequence originally probably took place over the course of a minute or two but the excess footage of Wilt walking up and down the floor to grab the rebounds etc needed to be edited out TO SAVE TIME). No, that's not plausible to you, you think the editors just tried to straight up trick people into believing an event that was never filmed happened instead

How am I not supposed to sound condescending here? How do you explain the dialogue going on between Wilt and Trapp? Your skepticism is ridiculous - there is no easy way to fake that sequence, and there is no reason the documentary makers would put in any of the necessary effort and time into attempting to fake it.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 11-21-2012 at 05:44 PM.