Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Bill Russell described George Mikan weighing 280lbs when they first met (~1953-54):

He talks about it in one of the parts (9 total) of his interview with Tim Duncan. I think it's in this part:
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/...uncan_pt2.html

...280lbs is MASSIVE even by today's standards, which greatly helps explain his dominance. 6-10 (which is extremely likely to be ~his w/o shoes height) would be roughly Patrick Ewing, Joakim Noah, Hakeem Olajuwon's height etc which is about typical of a good big man. As a "skinny" rookie his list weight was 245lbs (5lbs heavier than Dwight Howard as a rookie). And w/o bulking his arms up he eventually filled out to 280lbs which is LSU Shaq / Philadelphia Wilt territory, and still about 10lbs heavier than Dwight. - "farm strong". Imagine if he took HGH and spent hours a day at the gym, he would potentially be like 300+ if he played in the modern era

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...3b6e8e_lg.jpeg

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Bill Russell described George Mikan weighing 280lbs when they first met (~1953-54):

George Mikan in today's era: insurance salesman

Default Re: Bill Russell described George Mikan weighing 280lbs when they first met (~1953-54):

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    George Mikan in today's era: insurance salesman
    I wonder if people will come out with stupid, ignorant and naive statements like that about Larry Bird and Dirk Nowitzki in 50 years' time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    He talks about it in one of the parts (9 total) of his interview with Tim Duncan. I think it's in this part:
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/...uncan_pt2.html

...280lbs is MASSIVE even by today's standards, which greatly helps explain his dominance. 6-10 (which is extremely likely to be ~his w/o shoes height) would be roughly Patrick Ewing, Joakim Noah, Hakeem Olajuwon's height etc which is about typical of a good big man. As a "skinny" rookie his list weight was 245lbs (5lbs heavier than Dwight Howard as a rookie). And w/o bulking his arms up he eventually filled out to 280lbs which is LSU Shaq / Philadelphia Wilt territory, and still about 10lbs heavier than Dwight. - "farm strong". Imagine if he took HGH and spent hours a day at the gym, he would potentially be like 300+ if he played in the modern era

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...3b6e8e_lg.jpeg
    You know a lot about basketball but weight training you don't. There is no way he bulks up to 300.

As good as Mikan was, he looked pretty slow footed. Unless there are video to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    I wonder if people will come out with stupid, ignorant and naive statements like that about Larry Bird and Dirk Nowitzki in 50 years' time.
    Bird played against guys like Jordan, Magic, Isiah, Irving, etc. Mikan played against the guy that makes your coffee at Starbucks.

Banned

It's pretty much been said about Larry Bird. I don't think he would dominate in this era.

You can't say that about Dirk because Dirk has been playing in modern basketball for his entire life.

Bird was playing in an era when basketball didn't care about defense. I don't think they practiced complex defensive scheme back in the days.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Bird played against guys like Jordan, Magic, Isiah, Irving, etc.
    Too bad he didn't play against those guys on a daily basis.

A majority of the league back then were weak. You just happened to name-drop all the Hall of Famers.

He was usually up against some bums. Irving beat his ass before.

^--- They already do...

And there's a guy on Youtube I encountered recently who's soley dedicated to telling everyone Jordan played in a weak era now, saying he only got guarded by 6-3 white guys and wouldnt be as dominant today - his entire channel talks about it

remember, we live in a world where groups of people believe aliens built the pyramids and wiped out dinosaurs so that they could implant humans on the planet so basically nothing surprises me anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Too bad he didn't play against those guys on a daily basis.

A majority of the league back then were weak. You just happened to name-drop all the Hall of Famers.

He was usually up against some bums. Irving beat his ass before.

The league was fine in the 80s. The west might have been weak at the times, but thats it. The 90s on the other hand was full of watered down trash.

Banned

They already do...

There's a guy on Youtube I encountered recently who's soley dedicated to telling everyone Jordan played in a weak era now, saying he only got guarded by 6-3 white guys and wouldnt be as dominant today - his entire channel talks about it

remember, we live in a world where groups of people believe aliens built the pyramids and wiped out dinosaurs so that they could implant humans on the planet so basically nothing surprises me anymore
    As great as MJ was, it's true, he did play against shorter guys. I posted a list of the top 10 SG's in the 90's and it wasn't pretty.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Clyde Lovellette who served as a backup for Mikan in the early stages of his career and was also white, insurance man looking routinely poured in 25-30 points on 50% shooting on Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain

http://stats.nba.com/playerGameLogs....&sortOrder=DES

I know some people can't believe it but...elite players are elite players no matter what. Mikan was a great player, too many people want to take that away from him.

You know a lot about basketball but weight training you don't. There is no way he bulks up to 300.

As good as Mikan was, he looked pretty slow footed. Unless there are video to prove me wrong.

wtf does posting a picture of his face have to do with how much weight he could gain lifting weights?

And there's a guy on Youtube I encountered recently who's soley dedicated to telling everyone Jordan played in a weak era now, saying he only got guarded by 6-3 white guys and wouldnt be as dominant today - his entire channel talks about it
    Is it Bumperboysports ?

It's pretty much been said about Larry Bird. I don't think he would dominate in this era.

You can't say that about Dirk because Dirk has been playing in modern basketball for his entire life.

Bird was playing in an era when basketball didn't care about defense. I don't think they practiced complex defensive scheme back in the days.
    So Dirk is able to dominate today but Bird wouldn't?

Despite the fact that their athleticism is similar?

Despite the fact that Bird's basketball IQ is arguably the greatest ever?

Despite the fact that Bird was one of the best players during an era that featured Jordan, Magic, Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Olajuwom, etc?

Damn, some people know nothing about basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by Colbertnation64
    Clyde Lovellette who served as a backup for Mikan in the early stages of his career and was also white, insurance man looking routinely poured in 25-30 points on 50% shooting on Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain

http://stats.nba.com/playerGameLogs....&sortOrder=DES

I know some people can't believe it but...elite players are elite players no matter what. Mikan was a great player, too many people want to take that away from him.
    He was a great player for his era. In this era there is a better chance of him doing your taxes than playing professional basketball.