black guy + from the hood - education + athleticism = nba player

Default Re: Derrick Rose cant talk

Quote Originally Posted by Big One
    ...black guy + from the hood - education + athleticism = nba player

lilmagicjohnson
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by phxsuns4life
    D-Rose is certainly not stupid or retarded by any length. It is just that he like many other ballers before him saw basketball as plan A and his education took a back seat to that. Can't hate on him for that but I can't help but think what a difference another year as a Tiger would have done for him holistically.
    Actually he is a retard and he is stupid, he couldnt even pass the SATs-how sad is that you need like 900 to pass and get 600 points for signing your name-he had to have someone sit in on the test for him to get into Memphis. If any player in the league is actually retarded, my money would be on Derek Rose.

Rose will learn to talk. I remember Brandon Roy was virtually unintelligible when he came into the league (more from speaking way too fast than from inarticulateness), and he seems to have corrected that.

Yes, right now with Rose in interviews it's a lot of "Ummm yeah we umm... did good and ...played you know um hard... team... we um are ummm..." but I don't actually think he's mentally challenged, as his inarticulate mumbling style of speech might suggest.

He's just a dude who never paid attention in school because he basically had a golden ticket to the NBA, so he didn't really learn to speak very clearly or develop a vocabulary. Also, he has that kind of "I don't give a ****, I'm ****ing amazing" attitude, where he just kind of has a blank look on his face almost all the time.

He might be the worst interview in the league right now (among major players), but I'm sure he'll develop a personality and learn how to talk.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

So what? He is a basketball player. He doesn't need to be the second coming of Daniel Webster.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

he is shy

Quote Originally Posted by Big One
    not surprising

here is the formula

black guy + from the hood - education + athleticism = nba player

here we go.

NBA lottery pick

No swag.

No wonder he doesn't talk much on the court. Nobody would understand his ass anyway.

5-time NBA All-Star

I think he's shy and doesn't have confidence being in front a camera. As Branloski said you can see him thinking sentences over before he delivers them. When he did the interview with Ahmad he was ok and totally understandable. There is a regional accent but President Jimmy Carter had one of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHdci...eature=related

You all catch a bad moment and go to town with it. He can express himself and elaborate at 22yo. Tim Duncan rarely elaborates but nobody says anything because he has 4 years of schooling. Larry Bird the same. For some people their comfort level is just not to talk alot or they prefer talking to only a couple of people at a time and not the cameras. He gets older he will probably get a speech coach. He can afford it. And trust me, yall got some bad moments coming and when it does think of how you judged others.

To the haters that are brining up the SAT scores and such... he's living his life doing the thing he loves most while being one of the best on the planet at it and getting paid like crazy, and you are stuck on a SAT score??? Some schools simply don't prepare you well for the SAT. But life and career is waaaaay more important. Don't get your priorities mixed up.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I ripped on him a ton while he went to Memphis. Literally 30% of his vocabulary was "you know". He's gotten a lot better at it. Not great but you can tell he cares to improve. He's also smart enough to not use words beyond his understanding...

Rose is retarded. The only way he got through school is because he's a top athlete who was allowed to cheat. In a society where you can make millions with a ball, who needs education?

Have you listened to these guys? Just go listen to an interview with Cousins or another top prospect. How many are well spoken guys like Battier or Fisher?

his interview was completely normal and fine on Sunday.

I usually hit open layups Laker19's Avatar

I was thinking about this a few days ago, he has come a long way with his interviewing skills, becoming more comfortable in front of the camera.

This thread is from 2009. Derrick Rose speaks perfectly fine now in interviews.

Banned

He's a shy person, that's all. Andre Miller is similar in his interviews too.

He could possibly have some sort of social anxiety or disorder too though like Ricky Williams.