why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default I love high quality pick up games!!

The ones where other guys are really good. I mean yesterday, we went 4vs4 and me, as a good shooter, couple times got double screen on perimeter to get me open for a splash. How awesome is that?

I mean, off ball screens, correct switching on defense, passing the ball, no one on one... Its awesome. Pure basketball.

Default Re: I love high quality pick up games!!

I love that shit.

If my teammates are unselfish enough to set a bunch of screens for me, I score or create a lay-up/dunk every time.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I love that shit.

If my teammates are unselfish enough to set a bunch of screens for me, I score or create a lay-up/dunk every time.
    Where's the help D?!

I'm kidding. Even with good ball players, proper pick & rolls in pickup games can create a lot of problems. The biggest hurdle I tend to have is getting all defenders on the same page. Some guys like trapping a screen attempt, some just heavily hedge, some try to fight through everything and some just stand in no-mans land.

I've found it's usually easiest to switch everything. Even when switching creates mismatches, they don't seem to be exposed as frequently as one would believe. In fact, often the recognition that a player has a mismatch sometimes throws things for a loop, because they try to force their advantage instead of letting the game come to them.

But yes, on topic, good pick up games are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Where's the help D?!

I'm kidding. Even with good ball players, proper pick & rolls in pickup games can create a lot of problems. The biggest hurdle I tend to have is getting all defenders on the same page. Some guys like trapping a screen attempt, some just heavily hedge, some try to fight through everything and some just stand in no-mans land.

I've found it's usually easiest to switch everything. Even when switching creates mismatches, they don't seem to be exposed as frequently as one would believe. In fact, often the recognition that a player has a mismatch sometimes throws things for a loop, because they try to force their advantage instead of letting the game come to them.

But yes, on topic, good pick up games are good.
    If the help D comes, that's why I create an open lay-up. Almost nobody on the planet helps the helper in pick-up ball.

It sounds arrogant, but when people set screens for me in full-throttle pick-up, I never lose.

And yes, switching everything is by far the best strategy in pick-up for the exact reasons you mentioned. It avoids confusion, and it's difficult for people to exploit mismatches correctly in pick-up ball consistently.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

There really is nothing quite like getting a majority of guys who know how to play playing in a pick up game. It doesn't have to be everyone, but if you can get at least three on each side that really have an understanding of how the flow of the game works, it really does feel like a different game.

You need one guy with the ball, and the two others to know how to play without it. Weather that's off ball screening, or on ball screening with that third guy understanding how to move around into holes when help defense happens.

When I was coaching middle school, there'd be a few all star games after every season, and I'd have a couple kids selected. Occasionally I'd be asked to coach, but when I wasn't I always went, and I'd talk to my kids before the game. First, play hard. It's an all star game, you're gonna be shuttled in and out, so you may as well kill yourself while you're out there. Push the ball. And lastly, if you don't have the ball, or aren't getting it like now ... go set a screen. I always taught two things. Screen down, and screen away. Go find someone on the weekside of the floor and get him open. You'd be shocked how often you'll open up and find out you're the best option.

To me those are the fundamentals of playing good basic pickup basketball.

Very well said. Especially on weakside off ball screens.
    If a screener sets a screen or even slips it to dive to the rim its a bucket or an open 3 every time.

Love those.

Yup. It's pretty rare when you have a pick up team that just works... but I do appreciate when it happens.

Had a high quality pick up game yesterday, despite playing on the team that lost. I was the biggest guy on my team standing at 6'2" 185 lbs. I didn't feel good about the game at first because the other team had 2 huge black guys standing at least 6'6" 220 lbs. The second biggest guy on my team was barely 5'10" 160 so I thought we were in trouble. Since I was the biggest guy on my team, I had to guard one of the twin towers. I'm a really good outside shooter with a quick release and pretty decent at moving with out the ball. Either the catch-n-shoot or shooting off the dribble going left(right handed shooter) is my bread and butter.

I hit 4 2's in a row. Played really good defense on the 2 big guys. My teammate that was guarding the other big guy was getting used and abused so I spent a lot of time guarding my guy and doubling on the other big guy and had a few good weak-side defensive plays. Everyone was passing the ball and making shots. Had a good drive straight to the chest of one of the big guys and hit the and1(mind you, I didn't call and1) and had a crucial offensive rebound/put-back over the 2 monsters. Despite having a huge size disadvantage, our scrappy defense and communication kept us in the game till we lost 21-19(I hit a big 2 to tie it at 19). Disappointing loss but it was by far one of the most fun pickup games I've played.

Yeah, it can be pretty frustrating when you play with lazy or bad players who just don't know had to move within the game. There are times where I will set a pin down screen and they either won't move or will just walk around. Meanwhile they are looking at me like I'm some kind of asshole for actually trying to get them open.

I find that good screens are the only thing that really separate a fun, fluid game from a stagnant chuckfest.

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Had a high quality pick up game yesterday, despite playing on the team that lost. I was the biggest guy on my team standing at 6'2" 185 lbs. I didn't feel good about the game at first because the other team had 2 huge black guys standing at least 6'6" 220 lbs. The second biggest guy on my team was barely 5'10" 160 so I thought we were in trouble. Since I was the biggest guy on my team, I had to guard one of the twin towers. I'm a really good outside shooter with a quick release and pretty decent at moving with out the ball. Either the catch-n-shoot or shooting off the dribble going left(right handed shooter) is my bread and butter.

I hit 4 2's in a row. Played really good defense on the 2 big guys. My teammate that was guarding the other big guy was getting used and abused so I spent a lot of time guarding my guy and doubling on the other big guy and had a few good weak-side defensive plays. Everyone was passing the ball and making shots. Had a good drive straight to the chest of one of the big guys and hit the and1(mind you, I didn't call and1) and had a crucial offensive rebound/put-back over the 2 monsters. Despite having a huge size disadvantage, our scrappy defense and communication kept us in the game till we lost 21-19(I hit a big 2 to tie it at 19). Disappointing loss but it was by far one of the most fun pickup games I've played.
    sounds like really one of those games I was talking about. Lovely experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Yeah, it can be pretty frustrating when you play with lazy or bad players who just don't know had to move within the game. There are times where I will set a pin down screen and they either won't move or will just walk around. Meanwhile they are looking at me like I'm some kind of asshole for actually trying to get them open.

I find that good screens are the only thing that really separate a fun, fluid game from a stagnant chuckfest
    not that straight but its somewhat true.

I don't, because I look like a scrub who can't hang.