Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Shaq in best condition going into training camp!

The reality with Shaq is that even at "the best condition of his career", he is still a ticking time bomb for injury. At this point of his career, its more wear and tear than conditioning. He has to be in phenomonal condition if he wants to have a chance at being somewhat durable for an entire season. Hasnt he been in the best condiditon going into training camp every year since leaving LA?

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Ever since he left the Lakers, Shaq every season is "in best condition going into training camp". Not so during the season or the playoffs, at least after 2005 (although he did underperform in the 2005 playoffs, as well). He's not going to average even past prime numbers, like 18+9, anymore. Once upon a time, what he said was cool and great, because he could back it up. Now, the only thing I believe he can back up is his statement of the number of days left till he retires.
    He is still a top 3 centre in the league. That's saying something at the age of 36.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    He is still a top 3 centre in the league. That's saying something at the age of 36.
    All that tells me is the dire state the center position is in right now. Thanks god for Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    and shaq and amare only differ 2 inches?
    Around three. Shaq is a legit 7'1 without shoes, Amare about 6'10.

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    The reality with Shaq is that even at "the best condition of his career", he is still a ticking time bomb for injury. At this point of his career, its more wear and tear than conditioning. He has to be in phenomonal condition if he wants to have a chance at being somewhat durable for an entire season. Hasnt he been in the best condiditon going into training camp every year since leaving LA?
    The advantage this year is they have couple legit options to go to keep his minutes down. Lopez should be solid defensively, and rebounding, in small bursts. Amare can move over to play the 5 when they want to go small.

All that tells me is the dire state the center position is in right now. Thanks god for Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum
    Not to mention that even being a top-3 center is still arguable. He's no way better than Dwight or Yao, so this brings him to #3 at best. And, as crazy as it would once sound, even a guy like Marcus Camby may have a claim for this #3. I mean, forget the names for a moment. From the one side, you have a center who averages 13.6/9.1/1.4 bpg on 59% FG and is still frequently double-teammed, but also misses at least 1/4 of a season and commits 3.7 fouls per game and from the other, you have a center averaging only 9.1 ppg on 45% FG, but also 13.1 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.6 bpg, is a runner-up for DPOY and, despite his long history of injuries, missed only 3 games. Shaq isn't hands-down better than Camby and someone may argue he's not better anyway. I won't even mention team success for each player last season.

All this while treating both Duncan and Amare as PF's.

Quote Originally Posted by Valliant13
    The advantage this year is they have couple legit options to go to keep his minutes down. Lopez should be solid defensively, and rebounding, in small bursts. Amare can move over to play the 5 when they want to go small.
    I dont know how you can say Lopez is a legit option. He is a rookie and rookie's will struggle. Honestly, Brian Skinner would likely be more effective than Lopez. You saying Amare moving to the 5 is the more likely option. They can run small with Diaw and Barnes in the front court, but its not something Porter has been known for

Not to mention that even being a top-3 center is still arguable. He's no way better than Dwight or Yao, so this brings him to #3 at best. And, as crazy as it would once sound, even a guy like Marcus Camby may have a claim for this #3. I mean, forget the names for a moment. From the one side, you have a center who averages 13.6/9.1/1.4 bpg on 59% FG and is still frequently double-teammed, but also misses at least 1/4 of a season and commits 3.7 fouls per game and from the other, you have a center averaging only 9.1 ppg on 45% FG, but also 13.1 rpg, 3.3 apg, 3.6 bpg, is a runner-up for DPOY and, despite his long history of injuries, missed only 3 games. Shaq isn't hands-down better than Camby and someone may argue he's not better anyway. I won't even mention team success for each player last season.

All this while treating both Duncan and Amare as PF's.
    You are kidding yourself if you think Camby is better then Shaq. Though you have proven to us already that all you care about is stats. Since afterall, that is all you provide in posts concerning Wilt's greatness.

I think you are more threatened and feel the need to put Shaq down now that he isn't the physical specimen he once was, seeing as you want to hype Wilt up.

I would def. take Shaq over Camby. But thats not really saying much. Camby's stats are very hollow and deceiving. Shaq still has his post passing, something very important for the Suns. But in reality, I would take Chris Kaman and Andrew Bynum over Shaq right now. Not even being a Laker homer, I just think Bynum could be more consistent that Shaq and Kaman is a very skilled all aroung center

You are kidding yourself if you think Camby is better then Shaq. Though you have proven to us already that all you care about is stats. Since afterall, that is all you provide in posts concerning Wilt's greatness.

I think you are more threatened and feel the need to put Shaq down now that he isn't the physical specimen he once was, seeing as you want to hype Wilt up.
    Do I care only about stats? OK, how many wins did Shaq have this season with Miami? How much did he improve the Suns? What did they/he do in the playoffs? Nothing that helps him setting him apart from Camby this season.

I don't need to attack Shaq's downfall to hype Wilt. I think most people admit that past prime Wilt was better than past prime Shaq (and generally most people who deal with basketball rank Wilt over Shaq, period), so why should I be threatened now, that Shaq is falling? Maybe you care about the Wilt vs Shaq debate more than I do, after all.

If I really cared, I'd do this "Shaq bashing" for a long time now a lot more consistantly, like in every game Miami lost during the last 2 seasons and in every game Shaq underperformed. If I really cared, I'd be for Shaq about what Loki is for Kobe. And I'd actually have no problem to mention Wilt's name for comparison (and not just make implications), which is what I did when some in the early 2000's called Shaq the greatest center ever.
    Last edited by Psileas; 09-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Do I care only about stats? OK, how many wins did Shaq have this season with Miami? How much did he improve the Suns? What did they/he do in the playoffs? Nothing that helps him setting him apart from Camby this season.

I don't need to attack Shaq's downfall to hype Wilt. I think most people admit that past prime Wilt was better than past prime Shaq (and generally most people who deal with basketball rank Wilt over Shaq, period), so why should I be threatened now, that Shaq is falling? Maybe you care about the Wilt vs Shaq debate more than I do, after all.

If I really cared, I'd do it for a long time now a lot more consistantly, like in every game Miami lost during the last 2 seasons and in every game Shaq underperformed. If I really cared, I'd be for Shaq about what Loki is for Kobe. And I'd actually have no problem to mention Wilt's name and not just make implications, which is what I did when some in the early 2000's called Shaq the greatest center ever.
    Maybe because he is?

He had individual and team dominance. Where the former only had one of the two.

As for saying that most people agree that Wilt is better then Shaq, that is because most people agree to sound knowledgeable and comply with the supposed rule.

"Shaq in best condition going into training camp!"

Hmm wonder where we have heard this before.

Maybe because he is?
    Maybe because people have short memories? And maybe because what some of these people know about Wilt are just the numbers 100 and 20,000?

He had individual and team dominance. Where the former only had one of the two.
    3 rings vs 2. 4 trips to the finals vs 6. That's an example of short memories and short expectations. Maybe when Shaq 3-peated, many started believing that the Lakers were just in the middle of a historic dynasty. No-one in their right mind would predict that this would be Shaq's last title as the best player of his team. This led them believe that Shaq was more successful than Wilt, team-wise, whereas there was no big difference

As for saying that most people agree that Wilt is better then Shaq, that is because most people agree to sound knowledgeable and comply with the supposed rule.
    And people who claim otherwise want to make the others sound as just nostalgic and biased, while using the whole spectrum of the negative Wilt myths (which, like the positive myths, are plenty) and the "time machine" excuse.

BTW, you haven't really commented on the thread topic. Is this because you regretably agree with me (and many others who share the same opinion about Shaq not getting better any more, whatever he may say) and you feel the need to change topic because you hate saying bad things for Shaq?

shhhhhhh

lol we have heard this before..shaq's version of being in shape is losing weight but when he's sucking for air we'll see once again yeah he lost weight but he isn't actually in shape to be playing ball..

seen this movie before

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    lol we have heard this before..shaq's version of being in shape is losing weight but when he's sucking for air we'll see once again yeah he lost weight but he isn't actually in shape to be playing ball..

seen this movie before
    Yea and we all know how Shaq's movies turn out...