Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Top 5 guys you've seen against double teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Prime Barkley...By Far
    lol of course

Probably Shaq, Kareem, Barkley and MJ. I'm gonna say Wilt too even if there's not much from him out there when compared to those other players.

Shaq, Kareem and even Barkley were bigs that would murder you in the paint, and even though they were great passers they weren't, say, elite (like the best PG's) and you had to live with it.
    Jordan also too much a beast of a scorer to be contained 1on1, the majority of times.

You also got dudes like Bird or even Magic that "demanded" double teams lots of times, Larry when he got it going from the outside or when he was killing a smaller player down low and Johnson when he took the opponent's PG (usually smaller) to the post or even when drove down the lane... but, most of the time, teams just stopped it because they would completely pick them apart with their passing.

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    Godbe
    Durant
    Unless that double team consists of one guy named Chris Paul

Magic
    Bird
    Jordan
    Kobe
    Lebron

(not seen enough of prime West, Julius, Oscar, Kareem, Wilt etc.)

Just the highest combination of basketball IQ & skill arsenal from anywhere (scoring/passing) to make you pay, if there is 2 defenders on you that means 1 teammate of yours is wideopen, they would lazerbeam you with crosscourt passes right into the shooting pocket (Magic/Lebron/Bird) or sometimes they would just hit a shot on both of those defenders faces instead (Bird/Jordan/Kobe/Lebron) or use athleticism with post moves/fakes to drive in the paint anyways (Jordan/Kobe/Lebron)....
    Last edited by pauk; 09-26-2014 at 01:20 AM.

College superstar

Not a guy, but Jenna Jameson?

5-time NBA All-Star

I'm with Pauk. Magic would beat you the second you did something wrong with double. His timing was impeccable in dismantling the defenses mistakes. His understanding of floor balance was great.

Jordan's attack and game film understanding of the defense was always a joy to watch.
    The Mamba is the same.

Bird his keen eye exploited the defense and made them vulnerable to jump shot or cutting teammates.

From the post. Wilt, Walton, Shaq and Hakeem.

He best guys against double teams are the ones that don't get doubles thrown at them because they'll beat it with the pass nearly every time.

CP3 and Tony Parker come to mind. The weakest the spurs looked this post season was when the Mavs were playing man on TP.

Not that the other guys in this thread weren't good at beating doubles, but teams wouldn't throw doubles at a guy if their research didn't suggest that a double in whatever situation is the best play.

Its like in the NFL, the best corners are the ones that don't get thrown at.

Edit: Kevin Love saw a ton of doubles last year because he had one shooter on his whole roster. He did some straight up crazy stuff to beat double teams.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 09-26-2014 at 03:37 PM.

I don't get this...

Kobe is one of the best shooters, greatest mid range shooters, ATG post game, ATG footwork, ATG touch, top 5 against double teams, top 5 most skilled, top 5 best scoring skillset, top 5 off-hand, top 3 tough shot maker, ETC ETC ETC....

He can do ALL this, why does he shoot 45%?

Chamberlain, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Kareem

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I don't get this...

Kobe is one of the best shooters, greatest mid range shooters, ATG post game, ATG footwork, ATG touch, top 5 against double teams, top 5 most skilled, top 5 best scoring skillset, top 5 off-hand, top 3 tough shot maker, ETC ETC ETC....

bad shot selection/naive/stubborn

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I don't get this...

Volume shooting + often ill-advised shots. but is a career 25ppg on 45% bad in your honest opinion?

MJ.

I've seen him beat triple-teams quite a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Volume shooting + often ill-advised shots. but is a career 25ppg on 45% bad in your honest opinion?
    Why does it always have to be either or with some people? I haven't even seen some of the biggest Kobe haters say he's "bad". What they DO say is that when he's being touted as this otherworldly scorer, his efficiency and lack of very high scoring post season games needs to be factored in instead of just saying "81" "62 in 3" over and over again. Indeed it's his ill advised shots, stubbornness, etc. that is THE main thing that his detractors point to as why they don't feel he's as good as his hype. His skill level is certainly near the top of any player to ever play. However, his actual impact overall, isn't IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I'm with Pauk. Magic would beat you the second you did something wrong with double. His timing was impeccable in dismantling the defenses mistakes. His understanding of floor balance was great.

Jordan's attack and game film understanding of the defense was always a joy to watch.
    The Mamba is the same.

Bird his keen eye exploited the defense and made them vulnerable to jump shot or cutting teammates.

From the post. Wilt, Walton, Shaq and Hakeem.
    Magic is the best I've seen in that respect. He'll always beat you when you double, without fail.

Shaq, Barkley and Wilt are the 3 I would say who's ability to score is least impeded by doubles.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

kobe is the best when it comes to 1-on-3 and above since he's the one who shoots the most in such situations