Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Kobe responds to Jordan...

''Domino effect. I stole some of his..this generation stole some of mine''

http://lakerholicz.com/kobe-on-jorda...ine/2013/10/01

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe responds to Jordan...

I never understood why people always tried to use it against Kobe that he took some of MJ's moves.

First off, that makes it sound like MJ invented everything he did.

Secondly, I guess we would all rather be watching 1950's basketball since no one should steal anyones moves.

Jump shots? no thanks set shots only.

Freethrows? underhand ALL DAY.

crossover? what's that?

dunk? huh?!?!

Thirdly, I would rather see EVERYONE steal from Jordan, Kobe, Kareem, Hakeem etc. Imagine how much more fun it would be if Lebron, Durant, Howard etc had stole MJs or Hakeems moves.

Is not really stealing. You copy the moves of the master and try to emulate it and sometimes you give it your own twist. Same concept for martial arts, you just emulate what the master is teaching you.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Anfernee's Avatar

There is a difference between copying moves and mimicking a player's entire game. That's what Kobe has done with Jordan. He's just a not as good, but good version of the original.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
    I never understood why people always tried to use it against Kobe that he took some of MJ's moves.

First off, that makes it sound like MJ invented everything he did.

Secondly, I guess we would all rather be watching 1950's basketball since no one should steal anyones moves.

Jump shots? no thanks set shots only.

Freethrows? underhand ALL DAY.

crossover? what's that?

dunk? huh?!?!

Thirdly, I would rather see EVERYONE steal from Jordan, Kobe, Kareem, Hakeem etc. Imagine how much more fun it would be if Lebron, Durant, Howard etc had stole MJs or Hakeems moves.

It is funny how people hold that against players, more so since Jordan credits several players before him that he copied from.

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Ive always found it funny how people get pissed that Kobe has modeled and tried to be too much like Jordan. Like trying to like the best ever is such a bad thing. I get why people dont like Kobe but some of the reasons are really silly

Banned

He wasn't a good imitator in terms of chucking from 3 feet behind the 3pt line MOST MISSED FIELD GOALS IN NBA HISTORY. Even MJ was more efficient than that.

What he did imitate was the tongue wagging, the biting the jersey, the jump fist pumping. It's pretty sad he's not creative his own identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g7sfHuPMjg

Last edited by ispin69; 10-01-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Everybody still moves from a past great player. Jordan himself even said he got moves from Dr. J.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ispin69
    He wasn't a good imitator in terms of chucking from 3 feet behind the 3pt line MOST MISSED FIELD GOALS IN NBA HISTORY. Even MJ was more efficient than that.

What he did imitate was the tongue wagging, the biting the jersey, the jump fist pumping. It's pretty sad he's not creative his own identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g7sfHuPMjg

Ive seen a million players bite their jersey.. in the second pic its copying MJ because he has a fvcking goatee.. and the third is just a simple post up.

You read waaaay too much into this shit.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

seems about right

i wonder who this generation of kids/teens will try to emulate their game after. I cant see many kids shaping their game after lebrons, unless of course their some monster of an athlete and huge as fvck. so maybe irving? but id hate to start going to gyms and just see everyone over dribbling around the perimeter (more uncle drew and kyrie)

I don't think people realize how long Kobe has been in the NBA. He played against Jordan, Reggie Miller, and other 90's names for quite a few years. The fact that he is being compared to players like Lebron and Durant at 35 is insane

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    I don't think people realize how long Kobe has been in the NBA. He played against Jordan, Reggie Miller, and other 90's names for quite a few years. The fact that he is being compared to players like Lebron and Durant at 35 is insane
    That dude has been phenomenal.

Not too many of the all-time greats have been dealt such a crummy hand by his team - especially from a storied team like LA.
    KB has seen some really pathetic moves from the Lakers organization. That might be what impresses me the most about that man.... regardless of the boneheaded play from the front office, Kobe has brought it every freaking night

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Ive seen a million players bite their jersey.. in the second pic its copying MJ because he has a fvcking goatee.. and the third is just a simple post up.

You read waaaay too much into this shit.
    The last pic is indeed something Kobe specifically asked MJ about. I dont remember if it was revealed in an interview after the Bulls and Kobes Lakers first met or in a newspaper article, but Kobe said he asked MJ about leaning back in the post and MJ told him it was to gauge the distance between you and your post defender. So yes Kobe did learn and copy that move

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    The last pic is indeed something Kobe specifically asked MJ about. I dont remember if it was revealed in an interview after the Bulls and Kobes Lakers first met or in a newspaper article, but Kobe said he asked MJ about leaning back in the post and MJ told him it was to gauge the distance between you and your post defender. So yes Kobe did learn and copy that move
    MJ didnt invent that.. Maybe Kobe picked it up from watching his tape.. but I have done that on the court before, just intuitively, especially if a defender tries leaning on you with his forearm.

Idk.. shits just a stretch.

I think Kobe stole more than some. And we're not even talking about mannerisms and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    What's also awesome is that he has played against players from the 70s. Robert Parish for example, came into the league in 1976.
    Last edited by jstern; 10-01-2013 at 10:17 PM.