Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The scary image fans of tanking teams dread

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The scary image fans of tanking teams dread

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Thats the problem with a draft lottery.

I wish they would just do it like the NFL where the worst team gets the first pick, second worst gets the 2nd pick, etc. Champion gets the last pick

The lottery contributes to the lack of parity in basketball.
    Also it makes some think the system is corrupt.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Wouldn't changing to the NFL rules make tanking worse?

Plus the lack of parity in the NBA has more to do with how superstar driven this league is. Stafford has all the tools in the world with the best weapon in the world and he isn't making the Lions contenders. If the Bucks land the next LeBron or Durant, they will be in contention in 2-4 years. I'm pretty sure of that.

I get nervous thinking about it.We got luck on our sides though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    I get nervous thinking about it.We got luck on our sides though.
    Don't forget the Lakers when we get your center

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I wish they would just do it like the NFL where the worst team gets the first pick, second worst gets the 2nd pick, etc. Champion gets the last pick

The two years before they put in the draft lottery had the most obvious second half tank jobs in NBA history. The Bulls, Rockets, Pacers, and clippers made a joke of the sport.

The Rockets at one point played 40 year old Elvin Hayes I think 55 minutes under the guise of getting him to 50,000 minutes for his career. They tanked their way to two straight #1 picks. They lost like 18 of 20 with funny lineups and "injuries" while the Bulls got rid of Reggie Theus(still a good player for several more years....dead middle of his prime) and just threw games.

It just couldnt be allowed.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

If you guys think tanking is out of hand now? There's a reason the draft lottery was put into place. If the worst team just received the best player, you'd literally have 14-18 teams tanking every year there's a decent draft class... If not for the No. 1 pick, then a top 5-8 pick.

It would pretty much destroy the league. Like it or not, I truly believe the lottery is the best system in professional sports. It is enough of an incentive not to just completely stop trying for the vast majority of teams in the league and, at the same time, it gives hope to the fans of the really bad franchises that help may be on the way.

shhhhhhh

Not sure how going the NFL route would work

KBlaze makes some good historic points but is that really all that bad? What's worse 2 or 3 teams going all in on the tank or several teams faking it when they're tanking on some level?

I don't know, to me i'd rather see something else, some system where the draft picks go to where they really belong.. i hate that one team can actually suck so bad they don't have to tank but then lose the pick to a team that lost just enough games on purpose to get enough ping pong balls

one thing I'd do is make it so you can't have a top 5 pick more than once every 3 years and the number one pick once every 5 years..

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Don't forget the Lakers when we get your center
    Don't bet on it

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Thats the problem with a draft lottery.

In the NFL there usually isn't a MASSIVE difference between 1st and 2nd. Or even 1st and 6th 7th like the NBA. Tanking would be way worse than it is.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    The two years before they put in the draft lottery had the most obvious second half tank jobs in NBA history. The Bulls, Rockets, Pacers, and clippers made a joke of the sport.

The Rockets at one point played 40 year old Elvin Hayes I think 55 minutes under the guise of getting him to 50,000 minutes for his career. They tanked their way to two straight #1 picks. They lost like 18 of 20 with funny lineups and "injuries" while the Bulls got rid of Reggie Theus(still a good player for several more years....dead middle of his prime) and just threw games.

It just couldnt be allowed.
    At least you would get a mix of the good teams.

Maybe you are right, but the NBA to me is the no hope league. Rightly or wrongly I think the Cowboys have a chance every year (always proven to be wrong recently )

I dont think the Mavs have nearly as much hope. I would bet a fortune that either the Heat, Thunder, clippers or Pacers will win this year. And these teams look like they will be good for awhile.

IDK call me crazy but I think its suspicious Rose went to chicago.

Also is it really that important what happens at the bottom of the league? Does anyone care about the bucks?

relegation. that would end tanking pretty quick.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    relegation. that would end tanking pretty quick.
    exactly, this is what i've been saying for years, it would stop this nonsense

The Lakers or Celtics will get the number 1 pick. I have no doubt in my mind.

I think bottom 3 should have a draw for 1,2,3 picks.. Because serious tanking like magic or the sixers deserves to be rewarded...

Then do a Draw for 4-10 bottom teams so they guarantee the bottom feeders a top 10 pick but not top 3 cuz a lot of these teams didn't plan on tanking..

Then from 11-30 go off record and playoff finish...

Every1 gets around what they are projected to get and no BS incidents like d rose or davis happen no more...