Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Is Austin Rivers still in the NBA?

I don't think he has played at all in the last 3-4 games. What's the deal with this guy? Is there any hope for him?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Is Austin Rivers still in the NBA?

Probably not, but I'm pretty sure that Paul trade Stern made now looks terrible.

Gordon and the pick that became Rivers for Paul? LOL

So essentially a worthless player in Gordon that you don't want because he isn't good yet will demand a high salary...and a player in Rivers that is borderline NBA quality.

Great work Stern. Wow...

The only saving grace was that Gordon didn't play much over the last 2 years and add wins that would have hurt the Pelicans long term.

But now they are stuck with an over-rated player making 45 million over the next 3 years.

Hint to all GM's...don't pay a guy 15 million a year on a long term deal who's best season was a 56 games 22/4/3 performance on a 32 win team. Just a heads up. **** these guys suck at their jobs 90% of the time.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 11-09-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Banned

played 9 seconds last night

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Probably not, but I'm pretty sure that Paul trade Stern made now looks terrible.

Gordon and the pick that became Rivers for Paul? LOL

So essentially a worthless player in Gordon that you don't want because he isn't good yet will demand a high salary...and a player in Rivers that is borderline NBA quality.

Great work Stern. Wow...

The only saving grace was that Gordon didn't play much over the last 2 years and add wins that would have hurt the Pelicans long term.

But now they are stuck with an over-rated player making 45 million over the next 3 years.

Hint to all GM's...don't pay a guy 15 million a year on a long term deal who's best season was a 56 games 22/4/3 performance on a 32 win team. Just a heads up. **** these guys suck at their jobs 90% of the time.
    Gordon was a great all around scorer on the Clippers. He could finish, and he had good range. He got better every single year. Injuries are what has derailed him in New Orleans. I do not think you would be saying this if he could stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, he can be a very good shooting guard.

even injury riddled gordon is still by far the 2nd best player on the pelicans

Is Austin Rivers still in the NBA? .........Is Richard Pryor still alive?

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

It's not his fault if he's bad. It's all on his dad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Gordon was a great all around scorer on the Clippers. He could finish, and he had good range. He got better every single year. Injuries are what has derailed him in New Orleans. I do not think you would be saying this if he could stay healthy. If he can stay healthy, he can be a very good shooting guard.

'Great' is an oversell

If Luke Walton can stick in the L for that many years, I don't see how Austin wouldn't. Let's not pretend Austin's dad's reputation Doc had nothing to do with Austin getting to Duke and get drafted 10th.

He got the benefit of the doubt in the first place due to nepotism and it will continue benefitting Austin for years to come.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Really could not disagree more. There is nothing "great" about Gordon to date.

He's a solid player that is no better than Kevin Martin or Monta Ells. Truthfully I'd rather have both Ellis and Martin over Gordon.

He's extremely overpaid at 15 million per season as well.

It was a terrible trade. Way worse than the original Lakers trade for a ton of reasons. The biggest being that Gordon, if he hadn't gotten injured, would have added wins to a Pelicans team that needed to tank. So it was blind luck he didn't play a lot the last couple year.

Also, as I said at the time, it puts the Pelicans in a no win situation. You either let him walk (as they should have) or resign him for way too much money. But how do you sell the CP3 trade to fans then if you essentially got Austin Rivers only if you let Gordon walk.

So they were forced to grossly overpay a player that is maybe worth half of his contract....****ing up the teams ability to build for the future around Davis for at least the next 2.5 years.

Again...horrible trade. Just awful.

Look at the team they have. It could be great going forward if they could have used that Gordon money on other players are for cap flexibility. I don't outright hate the Noel move, but I really think they should have kept him and been bad for 1 more year. Should trade Anderson for Asik.

And then should have gone after players this summer. Build around Davis, Noel, and Asik. Would have gotten a high draft pick in a loaded draft this upcoming summer.

Instead? They are going to be stuck as a fringe playoff team with 45 million a year comitted to Holiday, Evans, Gordon, and Andersen. That just doesn't work in my opinion. They aren't challenging for anything yet...so why commit so much money to a team that can't win anything?

Now, if they ship out Gordon at some point...things could get better in a hurry. They should really be focusing on a 3 team deal with the Rockets to get Asik and shed Gordon and Andersen. I'm sure there is some stupid team out there willing to take on Gordon's contract.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 11-09-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Banned

guys I have a hunch that new orleans is not going to extend a qualifying offer to him and make him a free agent when the time comes (this season or the next don't know much about those things)

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    If Luke Walton can stick in the L for that many years, I don't see how Austin wouldn't. Let's not pretend Austin's dad's reputation Doc had nothing to do with Austin getting to Duke and get drafted 10th.

He got the benefit of the doubt in the first place due to nepotism and it will continue benefitting Austin for years to come.
    Luke Walton stuck around because of his contract, and the fact that he was brilliant with the ball. A very talented player hurt by injuries and a lack of athleticism.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

This sucka coulda been winning chips with Duke right now

Imagine Chris Paul with Anthony Davis.

EDIT- and David West

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara
    Imagine Chris Paul with Anthony Davis.

EDIT- and David West
    Pelicans would have never got the brow if we never traded Paul.