Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: If you hate the media comparisons of Kobe to MJ

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    I watched Jordan's play back in the old days, I don't remember that he had that high 2P%... this looks like his FG% which's combined with dunking and layups, he was not that a great shooter as 55% back in the late 80's and early 90's, are you talking about his 2P% or FG%?
    The conversation has been about 2-point FG%, which is everything inside the 3-point line.

But by the late 80's and early 90's, he was, at the very least, as good a shooter from 21 feet and in (and from 23 feet and in by '92) as any superstar in the league today except for Kobe. I personally think he was better from 22feet and in than even Kobe (I just don't want to make an argument), but like I said, at the very least only Kobe among today's stars is a more consistent midrange shooter. Jordan was DEADLY from midrange by 1989 (age 26).

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: If you hate the media comparisons of Kobe to MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    The league average margins are actually really surprising.

Lebron's is maybe the most absurd. I just looked at this year and he shot 56.0% on twos, which was 7.5% above the league average (48.5%). Wow.
    His eFG% is actually 54.5% which as che guevara said really makes you wonder why he takes so many 3s. When your 2P% is that much higher than your eFG% it really makes no sense not to cut down on 3s.

And one thing eFG% and TS% don't factor in is that a guy who has a higher FG% will be more consistent night in and night out and more likely to give you an efficient 30 point night than a guy with a lower FG%, but equal TS% or eFG% plus even if their TS%/eFG% is the same, the extra misses do have a negative impact.

2006- 51.8 2P%, 51.5 eFG%
    2007- 51.3 2P%, 50.7 eFG%
    2008- 53.1 2P%, 51.8 eFG%
    2009- 53.5 2P%, 53 eFG%

Strangely. it seems like Lebron always makes ridiculous fadeaway 3s against the shot clock or 30 footers yet he often bricks wide open jumpers and I rarely see him hit catch and shoot jumpers.

He's improved as a shooter, but he'll never be a great shooter and I doubt he'll be a consistent one. What he can do consistently as well as anyone in NBA is history is attack the basket and finish, even with contact.