Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Lets be real Pop is the best coach ever

I think this thread is not complete without:

Banned

Phil Jackson.

Popovic lost the finals last year by choking and overcoaching.

Auerbach is the best coach ever. followed by Phil, then Pop, then Riley, then Spoelstra.

yah. just decided to insert that random name

Good High School Starter

I agree.....the spurs are the only team in the league that when they run their offense you can tell the coach is 90 percent of how their plays are designed and executed...the ball never sticks its like it floats around the court, and its amazing how a coach can implement such fluid ball movement and motion in an offense that looks so smooth

Quote Originally Posted by Thechosen1
    I agree.....the spurs are the only team in the league that when they run their offense you can tell the coach is 90 percent of how their plays are designed and executed...the ball never sticks its like it floats around the court, and its amazing how a coach can implement such fluid ball movement and motion in an offense that looks so smooth
    I agree that the motion offense is great, but part of that is that they seek out players with passing skills and high basketball IQ. Manu, Diaw, Duncan, Splitter, Bellineli are all excellent passers.

Pop's greatest asset is his people skills. He makes each player feel important within the team by not playing favorites. If they work hard, do what they're supposed to do, they'll get their shot/time on the court. When everyone follows the plan and gives maximum effort, it makes for excellent regular season records. Unfortunately, when the playoffs come round, every team gives maximum effort. Then talent wins out. Fortunately, for the Spurs, they are excellent scouts (especially abroad) and fill the roster with cheap (for their talent) foreign players. When they get breaks like Westbrooke going down and Duncan having a retro year, they make it to the Finals.

As far as GOAT, Phil Jackson would never have lost a championship that was 28 seconds away. He would go with who brought him to the Finals. Why would Pop not play the all-time greatest defensive playoff rebounder in NBA history? Put your best defensive players on the floor, have them stand ON the 3 point line within reach of whoever they're defending and make them hit a 3 from down town (no fouling of course).
    Last edited by rmt; 01-07-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Go Spurs Go

i used to think he was until last year.

phil would never takeout his legendary bigman in the closing seconds of a game. pop did that against miami and it cost us a big rebound and the series. smh.

pop is top 5 tho. give timmy some credit. he's getting atleast 4 rings anywhere he goes.

Lebron of ISH

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Phil owes alot to the triangle and Tex Winter. He deserves credit for managing egos but not the extent hes been given lets be real Xs and Os hes not even better than Pat Riley and Riley was considered the better coach in the 90s.
    I'd say pop has done the most with least. He was able to coach Stephen Jackson .. go figure? Also, he makes average players ... good. He puts them in the right spot. Patty Mills has gone beast mode in more games than one this year with limited minutes.

Dunking on everybody in the park KrizMiz's Avatar

as much as i hate the spurs, i have to say YES ! he is the best!

Coach Spo is coming for that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    i used to think he was until last year.

phil would never takeout his legendary bigman in the closing seconds of a game. pop did that against miami and it cost us a big rebound and the series. smh.

pop is top 5 tho. give timmy some credit. he's getting atleast 4 rings anywhere he goes.
    Not saying I agree with the decision Pop made, but in his defense whenever they had been in the same situation during the season he made the same call and it worked much more often than not. Add to that that you are playing a below average rebounding team like Miami and the decision seems good in theory. I give him credit for not changing up the game plan just because it was Game 6 of the Finals, and honestly that is what makes him such a great coach. Ray Allen hit an incredible shot and that's all she wrote.

There are many other factors that played into the loss, and Pop's decision certainly wasn't the reason for it.

Greatest coach ever in my book. He's done the most with the least, and done it in incredibly successful fashion.

Phil Jackson is the greatest coach ever. The man has more championship rings than he has fingers for goodness sake. And before anyone attempts to give sole credit to his rosters and great players, consider where all those players were before Jacksons arrival. Jordan before Jackson? Shaq? Kobe? And all those guys had damn good coaches before him. Jordan had Doug Collins, Kobe had Rudy Tomjonovich, Shaq had Del Harris.

He got those guys to believe in his system. Some extrnemely arrogant players too. Hell three of the biggest egos in the world. And basically four different rosters and two different teams. Hell he won two championships as coach of the Albany Patroons.

And hes proven he can win in spite of any situation. Remember 1994? Jackson deserved the coach of the year award for that season.

No one but Red Auerbach has a legit case.