Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: ☆2015 Lakers Draft Thread

Still on the fence about Rondo... he's good no doubt but i kinda feel like he's good with a limited group of players.. what worked in boston was almost a perfect storm for rondo

you had KG a player definitely on the downside of his career but still not far off his peak, ray allen a real talent looking for a ring and pierce a guy who was happy to finally get some help

the big three had the inside, perimeter and mid range paint covered each being an allstar level player at his position, it would have been kind of hard for rondo to screw it up and the three older guys were happy to let rondo do the heavy lifting..

all of the big edthree are not ball in hand guys, they all play better off the ball finding the open spot and letting Rondo bring the play to them although all three were more than adept at making a play with the ball when it was needed and along with rondo they were a dynamic defensive group.. that was a strong defensive starting unit and ...

We've seen Rondo now enough since then and that has not been replicated, even in Dallas where you do have a similar mix of vets and youth Rondo hasn't been anywhere close to recapturing that mojo he had in Boston

I wouldn't scoff at Rondo on the team but i think he's more of a final piece to the puzzle and not a player you base a team on.. he's kind of harder to build around

I agree with you, gts.

I was never sold on Rondo myself. He is very good defensive player and has versatile game, but he could never shoot. If he has not developed a shot by now in his first 8 years in nba, he never will. He is an offensive liability. Yes, Kobe did respond with 'defense wins championship', but which team has built & won a championship with garbage offense in draft era? None.

Plus, it is not like Kobe is a lights out shooter. When neither of your guards can shoot well (with one lacking any kind of shot at all), it is a recipe for disaster. It worked with Boston because Ray Allen was consistent lights out shooter that could spread the floor. That allowed Rondo to get space to drive into the paint.

Then you factor in his massive ego and character issues. Will that become a problem as it has been in the past? Ray Allen, Doc Rivers, others have mentioned it. Sorry, I don't have high hopes for Rondo. I know Kobe is pushing Lakers to sign Rondo, but I think that would be a mistake. I think Kobe is a bad judge of talent like Michael Jordan was as a GM for Wizards and owner (he has gotten better last couple years).

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

No thank you on Rondo unless he steps up his game. Maybe being somewhere where he wants to be would help but who knows

After his time in Dallas, I would not want him at all. Why would the Lakers gamble on this guy? He is not the same player before he tore his ACL. He is living off his reputation as a playoff performer. His D is not what it was. He will always be able to be a playmaker as the primary ball handler but overall, he has declined a lot.

He has basically quit on the Mavs, and if the going gets tough in LA (which is a good chance), I wouldn't expect him to lead a young team and be a good leader.

If they get Rondo, all they are doing is appeasing Kobe for his final season and that would show you how backwards this team is being ran.

NBA lottery pick

I'm pretty sure Rondo may have played his way out of a max deal. He might just be taking a short contract until that new CBA comes up. He still may be worth the gamble with a shorter cheaper contract. I want to see how the top 4 of the draft lines up though. If the Lakers end up in a spot where they have to take Mudiay or Russell it's not going to make a lot of sense to bring in Rondo.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'm pretty sure Rondo may have played his way out of a max deal. He might just be taking a short contract until that new CBA comes up. He still may be worth the gamble with a shorter cheaper contract. I want to see how the top 4 of the draft lines up though. If the Lakers end up in a spot where they have to take Mudiay or Russell it's not going to make a lot of sense to bring in Rondo.

Draft will definitely determine how or should or if the Lakers go after Rondo... Doubt they'll be making the decision based on what happened in Dallas.. Rondo isn't the first player to butt heads with Carlisle, in hindsight it was probably never a good idea...

you could see what they wanted from Rondo but they never gave him the tools to succeed.. can't bring in a guy who's strongest point is being creative with the ball on the fly reading defenses and reacting then demand he only runs the set plays the coach wants then complain he's not living up to what you expected...

This was basically Cuban thinking he's more clever than than everyone else by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole again...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Draft will definitely determine how or should or if the Lakers go after Rondo... Doubt they'll be making the decision based on what happened in Dallas.. Rondo isn't the first player to butt heads with Carlisle, in hindsight it was probably never a good idea...

you could see what they wanted from Rondo but they never gave him the tools to succeed.. can't bring in a guy who's strongest point is being creative with the ball on the fly reading defenses and reacting then demand he only runs the set plays the coach wants then complain he's not living up to what you expected...

This was basically Cuban thinking he's more clever than than everyone else by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole again...
    Right, I do think Rondo is better than what his play in Dallas showed. I also think he might be a step slower now and for a guy who could never shoot now that he can't finish at the rim the same it's more risky. I think at the right price he's still an asset though. The PG position is the most important in basketball. If he didn't have a huge contract and it wasn't working out there would for sure be a team that would take a gamble on him and make a trade. It's much like what teams do to try to find a QB in football.

shhhhhhh

Right, I do think Rondo is better than what his play in Dallas showed. I also think he might be a step slower now and for a guy who could never shoot now that he can't finish at the rim the same it's more risky. I think at the right price he's still an asset though. The PG position is the most important in basketball. If he didn't have a huge contract and it wasn't working out there would for sure be a team that would take a gamble on him and make a trade. It's much like what teams do to try to find a QB in football.
    yep

i forgot to add what happens with Lin will obviously play a part... I don't think he'll be back but you never know, there are some advantages to him returning at the right price...

this is the 3rd summer of the rebuild, they got the picks, they've found some young guys who look like they have a future in the league and a head coach everyone in the organization seems to be happy with so this summer and next season should be about building some continuity into the team...

we should see a few more long term contracts being put in place too, start moving away from the one year deals plus it will be nice to have what will be considered cheap contracts when the TV money starts rolling in BTW perfect timing by the front office ...

I still think the only reason Rondo worked in Boston is because Ray was playing next to him and was lights out shooter. Kobe is not anywhere near as good of a shooter as Ray. Pierce could spread the floor too. KG could step out to 15 feet. Then they had couple shooters off bench. Rondo was the 4th option on that team. In LA, much more would be asked of him than Boston or the Mavs.

All the concerns I have with Rondo are on the offensive side. This season and last 2 in boston, he averaged more/equal FG attempts as points per game. He has never averaged more than 64% from FT line (career 60% FT%, which is only 3% better than Dwight). He has no range.

If we could get Rondo for $8 mill a year, only then would I be okay with it. I still cannot see it working. Other teams will stack the box and single cover Kobe & dare him to chuck it up. All they have to do is get Rondo's defender to help defend Kobe because they all know Rondo cannot shoot. They would probably prefer Rondo to shoot anyways! When he doesn't shoot, they will use hack-a-Rondo in 4th quarter to get into Lakers' psyche.

If Rondo can post up more and Kobe could set them up, then there is a possibility. If Young could develop a consistent jumper. Way too many "if's" for my taste. There are better options out there.
    Last edited by bladefd; 04-23-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

We'll gladly take rondo.

Rondo won't be a priority anymore. Lakers will go after other FAs before they think about him.

I bet they go full court press on Aldrich or a couple of the RFAs like Leonard

NBA lottery pick

Couldn't they offer the max to LMA and still possibly have enough to sign Rondo? That's why I'm not certain they don't show a bit of interest in him.

shhhhhhh

Couldn't they offer the max to LMA and still possibly have enough to sign Rondo? That's why I'm not certain they don't show a bit of interest in him.
    depends on Rondo and what he thinks he's worth

Rondo is going to have to do some damage control to his image as a player, he was already branded as a bit of a misfit by some around the league and he didn't do one thing to fix that in dallas and even his strongest supporters have to admit if he did anything he just reinforced what his detractors were already saying...

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Rondo won't be a priority anymore. Lakers will go after other FAs before they think about him.

I bet they go full court press on Aldrich or a couple of the RFAs like Leonard
    agree... they'll have to time it right because you can only tie up so much in cap space at a time but i can see them targeting LMA right off the bat, depending on the draft of course

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    depends on Rondo and what he thinks he's worth

Rondo is going to have to do some damage control to his image as a player, he was already branded as a bit of a misfit by some around the league and he didn't do one thing to fix that in dallas and even his strongest supporters have to admit if he did anything he just reinforced what his detractors were already saying...
    If some of these FA's were smart they'd sign short deals until the next CBA comes up and then they could really get paid. I'm not sure the older guys can risk it, but it may be smart. And the Lakers are a place that loves those short term contracts lately...