Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins and Guaranteed Contracts

[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Who doesn

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Could you explain why you think the Wiggins contract was fine, but the Porter contract was akin to "negotiating with terrorists"?

Forget, of course, all the specifics of the cap situation for the Wizards...just in a vacuum, why is paying a player like Wiggins a bigger contract than what Porter got...so much better than paying Porter?

You

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    I'm not arguing WHY he got it, in terms of the mentality behind it. I'm arguing that we can mitigate the damage done by contracts of this nature by altering the structure.

We don't need 4-5 year max deals, shortening the length of them will help reduce the long-term damage of bums like Wiggins getting awarded big deals based on potential.

And I don

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    You’re fine paying role players on teams that can’t win 25% of the cap. I don’t care anymore. 400 posts across 8 topics aren’t enough? I don’t care that much about players that actually matter.
    Just curious.

Porter was/is better than Wiggins....and you being ok with Wiggins getting a worse deal just doesn't make much sense.

Porter was gonna get paid as well by other teams...like he did...

And he was young and vastly improving...in real areas that benefit most teams.

Just seems odd. You can keep calling him a role player...which he is, but he's quite good at it and brings real positives to a team.

Wiggins isn't even a role player...he's a chucker that doesn't defend, hustle, score efficiently, or make his teammates better.

Yea, I'm good with paying less for the better player...

And, of course, the Wizards were in a very specific circumstance that forced their hand. Which makes the decision much easier...the Wolves could have traded Wiggins and would have been able to get something back.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 01-20-2019 at 06:54 PM.

If you wanna give me another few thousand words on Stacey Augmon for 26 million vs Isiah Rider for 29 I

Fair enough.

[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]A healthy 21 year old putting up 24ppg is gonna get paid no matter who the gm is. Really....how many 21 year olds having 29ppg months like he did in 17 don

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    Even that year the team should have known better. He scored a decent amount, but he was a bad player by every other metric, and I mean every single one. He's a below average shooter in today's NBA, and he is terrible at rebounding, passing and defending. His plus minus stats have been consistently negative his whole career.
    Yep.

And it is no surprise that ever since the Wolves have become competitive and not playing meaningless games on a 30 win team...his play has gotten even worse.

Now, he's still talented. Still has potential, but as I said in the other thread about him...it is not just "advanced stats"...

He does not defend. He does not know how to run a pick / roll. He does not create well for others. He does not shoot well consistently. He takes bad shots...etc.

He has simply not been a good player at any point in his career....

Can he be? Sure, but he hasn't been so far.