Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Default Re: Raw skill: Most skilled players of all-time

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Jordan's off-ball game takes a dump on Kobe's. I honestly don't think it's a stretch to say that Jordan is one of the best ever at moving without the ball. That alone sets him apart from and above Kobe.

When people start talking about skill as in "can player X excel at some drill in isolation" it shows me that they don't really understand basketball skill. YES, you need to have the requisite technical skills, but they also have to be second-nature enough to be called upon at game speed and in various situations. Kobe has never in a million years demonstrated as much brilliance on a single play as this one from ancient Wizards Jordan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01jztnl7vvc#t=1m11s

Ridiculous off-ball work, using the defenders' momentum and lines of vision against them; then he ensures he comes tight off the curl so the defender can't squeeze through, gives a quick up-fake to get the big on his heels and goes right into a lead-foot retraction drive, takes one dribble and passes through 3 defenders off the dribble for the score. Just amazing. Beautiful.

I could post literally dozens of plays like this from Jordan. From Bird as well. Plays where they used multiple on- and off-ball skills as well as perfect reading and setting up of the defense to make plays. You don't really see too much of that from a guy like Kobe or TMac.
    So you're telling me Kobe WASN'T capable of doing those same things!!! LOL Once again, I'm not gonna argue too hard if people think MJ is more skilled overall than Kobe. I certainly think MJ was the better player and the GOAT.

But in terms of overall basketball skill, Kobe FOR SURE has a case as the most skilled player of all time. MJ HIMSELF wouldn't tell you there is a HUGE GAP in their overall skill level. That's where you are messing up in all your posts. It's NOT an uncommon opinion that Kobe is the most skilled player of all time. Just heard Billups the other day on NBA Countdown say Kobe was the most skilled ever. With the three ball becoming much more of a premium in the sport, Kobe's EDGE on MJ there can't be overlooked. WHEN talking about overall skill level.

The gap between him and MJ WASN'T so much about overall skill on both sides of the rock. It was just about MJ being more efficient and the better player. But the way you frame, u make it seem like Kobe WASN'T in MJ's league skill level wise. The gap between MJ GOAT wise is MUCH BIGGER than the gap in terms of their skill levels.
    Last edited by bizil; 01-14-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Most skilled players I've ever seen (I was born in mid 80s And never really got into bird/magic era)

Kyrie, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe, Jordan, Lebron, Curry, Dirk, Jason Williams, Steve Nash, Durant, Kyle Korver

I'll add more when I think of more

Isiah Thomas and Calvin Murphy?

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Elgin and Kobe are to of my favs for this particular category. I also like Bird and Pistol, as good nominations. Depends on what your preferred mix of inside and outside work is - could also depend on how much you value specific niches of skill like ball handling or shooting or what have you.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Laugh all you want but Derrick Coleman should be way up there too

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    So you're telling me Kobe WASN'T capable of doing those same things!!! LOL Once again, I'm not gonna argue too hard if people think MJ is more skilled overall than Kobe. I certainly think MJ was the better player and the GOAT.

But in terms of overall basketball skill, Kobe FOR SURE has a case as the most skilled player of all time. MJ HIMSELF wouldn't tell you there is a HUGE GAP in their overall skill level. That's where you are messing up in all your posts. It's NOT an uncommon opinion that Kobe is the most skilled player of all time. Just heard Billups the other day on NBA Countdown say Kobe was the most skilled ever. With the three ball becoming much more of a premium in the sport, Kobe's EDGE on MJ there can't be overlooked. WHEN talking about overall skill level.

The gap between him and MJ WASN'T so much about overall skill on both sides of the rock. It was just about MJ being more efficient and the better player. But the way you frame, u make it seem like Kobe WASN'T in MJ's league skill level wise. The gap between MJ GOAT wise is MUCH BIGGER than the gap in terms of their skill levels.
    I don't know if Kobe was "capable" of plays such as the one I linked to, but the fact is that he never demonstrated it. Jordan, on the other hand, routinely demonstrated his skills and the ability to string skills together in real-time game situations in ways that Kobe never displayed.

Also, another thing I like to tell folks who are on the "Kobe is the most skilled all-time" train is to go re-watch the ASG "skills challenge" that Kobe participated in sometime in the 2008-2011 era - he did horribly.

Do I think Kobe is ONE of the most skilled players ever? Yes, likely top 4 at a minimum and I can see a case for top 2, though I think Bird still edges him in terms of the sum total of their respective skill-sets. But more skilled than Jordan? No.

huzzah

my b, meant Isaiah, made a typo

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Kyrie is the most skilled basketball player ever

By position (scoring skillset, passing, handles, defense as a package)

PG- CP3
    SG- Kobe
    SF- KD
    PF- KG
    C- Hakeem

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

MJ

Everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    MJ

Everyone else
    MJ isn

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

MJ

Everyone else
    Not true. Kobe is damn close to MJ skill wise. Not sayin MJ aint da GOAT, but its damn close skill wise.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

MJ

Everyone else
    Never shot 40% from 3

Never shot 90% from the line

Inferior handles to the Kyrie and Currys of the world

So no MJ is not the most skilled his game is reliant on athleticism.

If MJ was 6'3 and had Kyries athleticism he wouldn't even be a all star

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar