Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #16
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

Default Re: is boxing back at the top?

Max Holloway is the greatest featherweight of all time. Almost killed Ortega in the ring if it wasnt for Doctor stoppage..... Ortega has serious brain damage now for sure
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:20 AM   #17
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
Max Holloway is the greatest featherweight of all time. Almost killed Ortega in the ring if it wasnt for Doctor stoppage..... Ortega has serious brain damage now for sure

I am usually mad about a doctor stoppage... but that ws fking legit. Ortega was saved by the bell anyway.

Holloway is an animal. Dude lives to fight. One of the most entertaining fighters to watch.
Prometheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:25 AM   #18
kennethgriffen
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove

hes arguably the greatest boxing UFC featherweight... just another conor mcgregor though. would get exposed vs a BJJ master like a khabib
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 AM   #19
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
hes arguably the greatest boxing UFC featherweight... just another conor mcgregor though. would get exposed vs a BJJ master like a khabib

Dude, you don't even know what the **** you are talking about. Why make a thread about two sports you know jack shit about?
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #20
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:

Brian Ortega is a bjj phenom, black belt under Rener Gracie, and before this fight he was undefeated with 7 wins by submission.

Khabib is a master of grappling, not bjj. He comes from the school of Russian combat sambo. He literally wore a shirt to his weigh-in for the fight against rda that said "If sambo was easy, it would be called jiu jitsu".

Conor McGregor is known for being a one-punch KO artist with a poor gas tank. Max Holloway is a volume puncher with the best cardio in the game. They are night and day as fighters.

It's actually amazing you were able to be wrong this many times in such a short post. Today I learned kennethgriffen knows dick about fighting - even for just being a fan.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #21
kennethgriffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Brian Ortega is a bjj phenom, black belt under Rener Gracie, and before this fight he was undefeated with 7 wins by submission.

Khabib is a master of grappling, not bjj. He comes from the school of Russian combat sambo. He literally wore a shirt to his weigh-in for the fight against rda that said "If sambo was easy, it would be called jiu jitsu".

Conor McGregor is known for being a one-punch KO artist with a poor gas tank. Max Holloway is a volume puncher with the best cardio in the game. They are night and day as fighters.

It's actually amazing you were able to be wrong this many times in such a short post. Today I learned kennethgriffen knows dick about fighting - even for just being a fan.

i'm definitely a casual fan. never said i was anything more. meant to say grappler for khabib. only fight i saw of his was the one vs mcgregor. i'm just a ppv watcher.

but still.. the only reason ortega lost is cause he chose to exchange with holloway. he made very little attempts at take downs and didn't even seem that good to me. i checked his record and its mostly filled with bullshit fights. his big name fights were against old past their prime guys
Old 12-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #22
plowking
Verticle?

Quote:

but still.. the only reason ortega lost is cause he chose to exchange with holloway. he made very little attempts at take downs and didn't even seem that good to me. i checked his record and its mostly filled with bullshit fights. his big name fights were against old past their prime guys

Wrong. Again.

Frankie is still one of the best in the division. Renato Moicano is a serious title contender and the best guy in the division after Max, Ortega and Jose.
Cub is a great gatekeeper and has stopped previous hype trains from getting the title shot.

You just don't know what you're on about.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #23
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
i'm definitely a casual fan. never said i was anything more. meant to say grappler for khabib. only fight i saw of his was the one vs mcgregor. i'm just a ppv watcher.

But as a casual fan, you really don't understand what you're watching a lot of the time. Ortega was absolutely looking to take it to the mat. You can't just decide to do it though, it requires setup and execution. Holloway's tdd was on. fking. point.

It's kind of like a casual basketball fan saying shit like "why doesnt lebron just take it to the rack every single play" or thinking the game is as simple as making shots or missing them.

I think this is why MMA is slightly less accessible than boxing. The finer points of boxing make little difference to the casual - it is easier to understand who is eating punches to the face and who isn't - and there's little room for these false interpretations. People don't generally think things like "why doesnt he just punch him?" They know he's trying to. But in MMA, a lot of times a casual fan will think "why doesnt he just take him down?" because it seems like it should be that simple. When in reality you might see a fighter throwing certain feints or combinations, specifically looking to set up a particular takedown. And it is often very risky to change levels in a sport where it is legal to elbow and knee someone in their face.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #24
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Wrong. Again.

Frankie is still one of the best in the division. Renato Moicano is a serious title contender and the best guy in the division after Max, Ortega and Jose.
Cub is a great gatekeeper and has stopped previous hype trains from getting the title shot.

You just don't know what you're on about.

For real, t city first guy to ever finish Frankie and hes acting like they fed this guy stepping stones
Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #25
kennethgriffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
But as a casual fan, you really don't understand what you're watching a lot of the time. Ortega was absolutely looking to take it to the mat. You can't just decide to do it though, it requires setup and execution. Holloway's tdd was on. fking. point.

It's kind of like a casual basketball fan saying shit like "why doesnt lebron just take it to the rack every single play" or thinking the game is as simple as making shots or missing them.

I think this is why MMA is slightly less accessible than boxing. The finer points of boxing make little difference to the casual - it is easier to understand who is eating punches to the face and who isn't - and there's little room for these false interpretations. People don't generally think things like "why doesnt he just punch him?" They know he's trying to. But in MMA, a lot of times a casual fan will think "why doesnt he just take him down?" because it seems like it should be that simple. When in reality you might see a fighter throwing certain feints or combinations, specifically looking to set up a particular takedown. And it is often very risky to change levels in a sport where it is legal to elbow and knee someone in their face.

mcgregors take down defense was considered one of the best. but vs a better grappler he was taken down with ease

it really depends on the matchup.. i don't believe in ortegas ability. they fed him opponents to build up a fake record
Old 12-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #26
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
mcgregors take down defense was considered one of the best. but vs a better grappler he was taken down with ease

Pretty sure you're trolling with the ortega talk so I'm just gonna brush that shit aside.

Few things tho

- CMcG has good tdd. Not spectacular. Not even great, and certainly not one of the best. No one thinks that.
-He wasn't taken down with ease. He did about as well as anyone could have hoped he would in staying standing. He even went all of rd 3 in that fight without being taken down once. If he hadn't been caught by that massive overhand right, he may not have been taken down in rd 2 either. He did pretty ****ing well considering the matchup. Speaking of which...
-Khabib is not just a... better grappler. He's the BEST grappler. The apex predator of the mat. Literally he is making a case as the best grappler in mma history (rn rickson has that claim). Khabib is a completely different animal.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: