Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Bill Russell Appreciation Thread

I really wish NBA 2K would bring back their era-specific rules and filters. Using Bill Russell on those Celtics teams with no three-point line and in black & white was one of my favorite moments in video gaming history.

What it looked like for those unfamiliar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQagwnugaM

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Kai
    Bill Russell won 11 NBA championships in 13 seasons, 2 NCAA championships, 2 high school state championships and an Olympic gold medal.

It's not a coincidence he won so many championships on every level.

He is the greatest winner this game has ever seen.
    Maybe the greatest winner in any sport the world has ever seen. Definitely in team sports, there might someone in an individual sport who dominated more

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    As a young basketball fan, I've heard of Bill Russell - guy won 11 championships, was the best defensive player to ever step foot on the court, dominated the game without scoring. But after I picked him in the 16 team all-time draft, I started looking more into what he has done, and he is truly, truly spectacular.

Watching this interview right now called "Russell's House" which I think was telecasted last year. I urge all of you who haven't seen it to watch it. I am marveled by how great a competitor, a leader, a teammate he was. I now truly believe, him and MJ are the 2 greatest to have played this sport, and no one else comes close. What's even more incredible is the work he did beyond basketball - for Ali, for Martin Luther King, for his teammates, for himself. He truly revolutionised not only the game, but the whole of America. This man is a legend, and truly the face of basketball.

I applaud Bill Russell

Also, check out this really cool clip I found of Russell's athletic ability - http://youtu.be/pivrE_mqmhs
    Have you heard of the Coleman Play? Bob Cousy, Tommy Heinsohn and other all time Celtics call it the greatest basketball play they ever seen and those two guys have announced a ton of basketball games.

In the last minute of the Game 7 in the 1957 Finals. Russell ran from behind the backboard and went the full length of the court to catch up and block Jack Coleman's shot. Coleman already had the ball at half court ahead of everyone when Russell started.

Psileas just posted about it here
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=21

Russell may be the greatest locker room player of all time. He was devoted to the concept of the team. His teammates loved him and they figured with him they wouldn't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    but he probably wouldn't even take the shot or catch the ball even if I tried to pass it to him
    Why don't you come back to us after you've scored 30 points in Game 7 of a NBA finals like Russell did.