Timmy
    Shaq

USA
    Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Barkley
    Ewing

How bad does the West destroy that line-up? They're much better defensively, better at every position outside of SG (Bird and Magic were at the end of their career), more athletic, etc. Those Western conference All Star teams in the early 2000's were ridiculous.
    Last edited by CJ Mustard; 10-22-2014 at 11:17 AM.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Default Re: 2000 West Allstar starters vs 1992 Dream Team starters

Bird could barely sit during the olympics. he would have to lay on the floor to stretch his back out lol.

the west would kill the dream team, especially since the west were all in their primes.

no way jordan is getting any shots in the paint against KG, Tim, and Shaq.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    West:
    Kidd
    Kobe
    KG
    Timmy
    Shaq

USA
    Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Barkley
    Ewing

How bad does the West destroy that line-up? They're much better defensively, better at every position outside of SG (Bird and Magic were at the end of their career), more athletic, etc. Those Western conference All Star teams in the early 2000's were ridiculous.

So what are you getting at?

5 great players can beat another team with 2 players who can't play anymore? OK.

Dunking on everybody in the park

The original 1992 Dream Team would probably be saying to themselves, who in the hell are these guys? The 2000 team had a lot more players in their prime than the 1992 Dream Team.

Even the bench for the 2000 Western Conference All-Stars could hold their own with Chris Webber, Karl Malone, Rasheed Wallace, John Stockton, Gary Payton, David Robinson and Michael Finley. It is weak on the bench at the shooting guard/small forward positions, but they're also stacked in the front court and at the point guard position.

Would this team in 2003 have a shot?

Jason Kidd / Steve Nash
    Kobe Bryant / Ray Allen
    Tracy McGrady / Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett / Dirk Nowitzki
    Shaquille O'Neal / Tim Duncan

What about this 2009 team?

Lebron James / Chris Paul
    Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo Anthony / Paul Pierce
    Dirk Nowitzki / Kevin Garnett
    Dwight Howard / Tim Duncan
    Last edited by Milbuck; 10-23-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

Jason Kidd / Steve Nash
    Kobe Bryant / Ray Allen

Best player in the world coming off the bench.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

The 2000 team's front court would make them shit sideways.

Even if the Dream Team guys were at their peak prime it would be a tough matchup for them

Superior frontcourt wins. It wont be even close series IMO.

West:
    Kidd
    Kobe
    KG
    Timmy
    Shaq

USA
    Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Barkley
    Ewing

Bird was basically chilling. Why people in ISH thought Bird during the time Dream was dominating was in his prime

Gotta have the bench too, in order to better judge it (given their level at that point)...

Kidd / Stockton
    Kobe / Payton
    KG / Finley
    Timmy / Malone / Webber
    Shaq / D-Rob

vs

Magic / Stockton
    Jordan / Drexler
    Bird / Pippen / Mullin
    Barkley / Malone
    Ewing / D-Rob

2000 All-stars have a crazy frontcourt And a sick defensive team overall... but not much spacing and their chemistry (on and off the court) wouldn't reach Dream Team's level, plus DT's passing game and basketball IQ couldn't be ****ed with, and they also have some terrific players on both ends.

7-game series? I'll say that the 2000 All-star team looks better on paper from an individual standpoint (given everyone's level at the time), so I got put my money on them, but the DT would probably work better as a team, considering everything from a basketball standpoint.
    If Magic and Larry were in their prime? Gimme the Dream Team.

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    Bird could barely sit during the olympics. he would have to lay on the floor to stretch his back out lol.

the west would kill the dream team, especially since the west were all in their primes.

Still good for 20/10/7 on .547 TS%, playing less than 37 min, for 45 games in just that previous NBA season.

In the Olympics, playing a small amount of minutes, still put up 8.4/3.8/1.8/1.8 on .639 TS%.
    He was the best scorer in the game vs Germany, dropping 19 points.
    Put up 14/4/3/2 vs Spain, and 10/6/6/2 in the S-F vs Lithuania, not playing much minutes.

Ijs that he couldn't play much yea (not even practice), and was on terrible conditions... but he was still pretty valuable while on the court, don't disregard that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0qCAw_hoAA

And the same goes for Magic... He didn't play in 1992 professionally (and had the virus) but just in 1991 he was playing great and led LA to the Finals.
    Johnson didn't play for 2 games, but averaged 8.0/2.3/5.5 on great efficiency, 2nd in assists for them.
    Had 11/3/6 in the final round, 14/3/8 vs Lithuania.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Tys1BXkns

Plus, both of them were major in the locker room of course, and to build chemistry on and off the court... Just like the rest of the team said, also.

Some people act like Bird or Magic went there and did nothing
    Yea, they were in their worse "condition" but the terrific talent and intangibles (also height) were still there.

"West would kill the Dream Team"? Kill?? Not saying they would lose, and I get it that your boy Timmy is playing for the West but kill the DT? Get real.

Again, destroy? Imo they're better on paper, and I would have to put my money on them, but destroy?

And I can also have the 1988 All-NBA Team vs the 2000 one...

Magic / Stockton
    Jordan / Drexler
    Bird / Wilkins
    Barkley / Malone
    Hakeem / Ewing

vs

Kidd / AI
    Payton / Kobe
    KG / Hill
    Duncan / Malone
    Shaq / Mourning

... and then act like you, saying the 2000 team is getting whooped... What does that prove?

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Again, destroy? Imo they're better on paper, and I would have to put my money on them, but destroy?

And I can also have the 1988 All-NBA Team vs the 2000 one...

Magic / Stockton
    Jordan / Drexler
    Bird / Wilkins
    Barkley / Malone
    Hakeem / Ewing

vs

Kidd / AI
    Payton / Kobe
    KG / Hill
    Duncan / Malone
    Shaq / Mourning

... and then act like you, saying the 2000 team is getting whooped... What does that prove?
    I'd still go with the 2000 team. I'm sorry, but no one is scoring on a front line of Shaq/Duncan/KG. On the other hand, Shaq would over power Hakeem, Duncan would abuse Chuck, and Bird wouldn't be able to deal with KG's size, quickness, and athleticism.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

Jason Kidd / Steve Nash
    Kobe Bryant / Ray Allen

Dwyane Wade was better than Kobe in 09...clearly

I'd still go with the 2000 team. I'm sorry, but no one is scoring on a front line of Shaq/Duncan/KG. On the other hand, Shaq would over power Hakeem, Duncan would abuse Chuck, and Bird wouldn't be able to deal with KG's size, quickness, and athleticism.
    Get real...

Just like he "over powered" him in the 1995 Finals? And I know this isn't 1995 Shaq here but rather his peak (dude's one of my favorite players) nor 1995 Hakeem, and 2000 Shaq was simply better than 1988 Hakeem, but please...

You say Duncan would "abuse" Chuck and Chuck wouldn't "abuse" Duncan then? I got Duncan as my GOAT PF, and he was easily a better defender than Barkley (passing and rebounding it's a wash) but he ain't scoring like prime Charles, period.

Wouldn't be able to deal in what way? KG would be terrific to guard Larry in the high/low-post, and 1on1 when Bird's creating from close to the paint, yea, but he's not keeping up with Bird going through screens all the time, spacing the floor and making some great passes immediately after he gets the ball, plus Larry would match his intensity, and wouldn't back down...
    And Bird faced "tougher" challenges than that, on either end. Bring up that athleticism shit though
    1988 Bird is a better overall player than 2000 KG (not saying it ain't even close, ofc), before he was done later on in the post-season.

Plus, 2000 Payton and Kobe ain't ****ing with 1988 Jordan and Drexler, simply put. Oh, and 1988 Magic/Stockton PG rotation is clearly better than 2000 Kidd/AI PG rotation.

Yea, the 2000 team is better defensively (at least on paper) but the 1988 squad also got some great defenders and I can also say they're better offensively, so...

Furthermore, how about them on the actual court? 1988 Magic/Jordan/Bird/Barkley/Hakeem, and even considering the bench, fit pretty well together; basketball IQ, passing game, ball sharing, movement off ball, spacing, touches, so on... would be great. Looking at the 2000 team on the other end, wouldn't be that close to that, overall. Then you also got Shaq/Kobe/AI... all in the same team could be a problem...
    1988 bench also a bit better, still considering those things above.