Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default It amazes me that the Heat bench is no better than the Lakers bench

In stats so far anyway. The Heat bench is one of the worst in the league.

These are the stats:

Heat bench : 26.8 ppg, 42.5% FG, and 38.8% 3pt

Lakers bench: 27.0 ppg, 43.7%, and 35.8% 3pt

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball...s/13/7/pts/1-1

The Heat have better shooters, but other than that, it's really the only thing that the Heat bench does better. They both kind'a equal at defense. I thought the Heat bench looked better with the eye test, but they always have Wade or LeBron out there with the bench.

While it is common to have a sucky bench and win titles, it still amaze me because they looked better than that when watching them.

Default Re: It amazes me that the Heat bench is no better than the Lakers bench

LeBron or Wade are continually splitting time with the bench, so that neither of them is off the floor at the same time. LeBron can be surrounded by bench players and still hang in there with even the best teams, as long as those players can defend and shoot (which the Heat bench can do), so the bench weakness is covered up.

Um... you realize that Pau was stupidly coming off the bench for a while.

Trust me, our actual bench is the worst in the league.

lol @ this. just goes to show you cant trust stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101

Only for about seven games. And it wasn't stupid since he played better off the bench than as a starter imo.

And Portland is by far the worst bench in the league. No bench is more horrible than what they have. It just that Miami has the top 3 worst bench in scoring, but it never seem that way from watching them.

Very good NBA starter

Try watching a game. The fact that the Heat bench can actually play defense and shoot makes them 100 times better than the Lakers bench

Rip Samurai Swoosh L8kersfan222's Avatar

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    lol @ this. just goes to show you cant trust stats.
    Obviously you can trust stats... You just have to know what they mean.

All it says is the Lakers bench scores more than the Heat bench on similar FG%, which makes sense given the context. It doesn't however give any indication as to which bench is better or worse.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Jamison, Blake and Meeks are all defensive liabilities with acceptable offensive productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    Jamison, Blake and Meeks are all defensive liabilities with acceptable offensive productivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Try watching a game. The fact that the Heat bench can actually play defense and shoot makes them 100 times better than the Lakers bench
    Miami bench do play better defensively, but not by much at all. The Lakers bench is more of a myth when it comes to stats. To expand on this:

Defense bench:

Miami: 33.9 ppg (allowed), 43.8% FG, 5 TOs and 37.4% 3pt.

Lakers: 34.0 ppg (allowed), 43.8% FG, 4 TOs and 35.8% 3pt

This is very impressive seeing how the Lakers play at a higher pace than Miami does. Lakers are top 3 in pacing while Miami is at 22nd.

What really adds up it are the starters of the Lakers SUCKS at playing defense. Not the bench. They are doing similar to Miami bench in points allowed and etc.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

We got a +/- stat for benches? I'd be curious to see the figures for the whole league.

Dunking on everybody in the park dannysc305's Avatar

The Heat's bench has an uncanny ability to step up in big games.

Local High School Star CHi1PriDe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101

Portland has the worst bench

Made that high school varsity squad pmj's Avatar

The Heat bench isnt very good, especially in a measure like just pure stats. Almost no one can create their own shot, or get points down low. What they do have is a very particular set of skills; skills they have acquired over a very long career. Skills that can make them a nightmare for teams that help on defense.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

Heat have: Ray Allen, Norris Cole, Shane Battier, Birdman.

Lakers have: Steve Blake, Jodie Meeks, Chris Duhon, Antawn Jamison

Use common sense which bench is better!