Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default American History

Does anyone believe American History will still be taught in schools 50 years from now?

Personally, I think American History is on its last legs and the course will change to something like Western Culture and History.

Let's face it, Millenials don't give a shit about America's forefathers and can't even name 10 presidents or are familiar with historical documents, wars, events and such.

Plus, illegal and legal migration to this country will only continue to boom and we will eventually see a complete loss of American culture to what will become a multi-cultural society where all nations of the Western Hemisphere will be represented.

NBA Legend

Default Re: American History

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Does anyone believe American History will still be taught in schools 50 years from now?

Personally, I think American History is on its last legs and the course will change to something like Western Culture and History.

Let's face it, Millenials don't give a shit about America's forefathers and can't even name 10 presidents or are familiar with historical documents, wars, events and such.

Plus, illegal and legal migration to this country will only continue to boom and we will eventually see a complete loss of American culture to what will become a multi-cultural society where all nations of the Western Hemisphere will be represented.

Honestly I do sometimes wonder if future generations will not be so consumed with technological stimulation that they simply don't have any concept or concern for history. In school the emphasis on mastering computers/technology will only increase and begin at earlier and earlier ages. How important will they even consider non-technological areas to be?

Time only moves in one direction, and human social evolution is definitely on the move. Things are going to be DRASTICALLY different for future generations than anything we grew up accustomed to. For us it may seem bleak and unfulfilling, but for future generations who won't have known anything different... it'll just seem like the logical way.

British history isn't taught in British schools. America is on the same path.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    British history isn't taught in British schools.

That amazes me. There is so much History in Great Britain from King Arthur to Churchill. Thank God for HBO.

NBA All-star

as long as they teach the flaws that of American history, as well as how others had viewed America during different time periods, even that of criticism, as well as legitimizing their view.

who cares.

it's not the subject matter that is poisoning. but presenting both sides of the matter that is the subject at hand.

you know, the heart of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    That amazes me. There is so much History in Great Britain from King Arthur to Churchill. Thank God for HBO.
    I thought you were a troll. Now I know for a fact that you're a troll.

The way it's presently taught they might as well not bother at all tbh. Probably the deplorable state of US history teaching has a lot to do with recent generations' growing ignorance and rejection of history. The way certain individuals such as FDR and Kennedy are lionised in American classrooms, despite being rather nasty pieces of slime, gives the youth of today a completely false impression of the progression of US history.

Cultures with little knowledge or awareness of their history (or care for it) will inevitably crumble into some kind of semi-dystopian nightmare. What was antecedent to the rise of Nazism and of Communism was the rejection of former history and culture (Nazism was anti-culture in its essence, and obviously Marxist ideology defined the period before the 'proletarian revolution' as 'pre-history' and were also quick to expunge any history or culture that didn't fit with the Marxist mould).

To destroy your culture and history is to destroy natural human collective identity (something human beings need), and so it will be sought elsewhere: in religion, in sports, in political ideology, in race etc. Destroy the collective identity of the people and the country will wither and splinter.

Banned

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta

To destroy your culture and history is to destroy natural human collective identity (something human beings need), and so it will be sought elsewhere: in religion, in sports, in political ideology, in race etc. Destroy the collective identity of the people and the country will wither and splinter.

if I gave you a list of X amount of rules/requirements

and that you are only allowed to apply/practice Y amount

and of course, X being greater than Y

that IS the constant destruction as well as the ability to rebuild.

I guess people add more on to the X's as they research/trial/develop new ideas

and as for determining what Y ought to be, it's more or less that of an immune system/tolerance/adaptation one has with it

The "history" they teach in schools is so bare bones its barely worth teaching anyway.

"Columbus discovered America"
    "Lincoln freed the slaves"
    "The Americans, British and Russians beat the Germans in WW2"

History is one of those things you need to pursue on your own, if you're interested in it like I am.

rank sentamentalist

remember that time reagan funded terrorists in nicaragua killing several hundred thousand people and was found guilty by the international criminal court of unlawful use of force? and how instead of paying reparations for its heinous crimes it simply laughed off the verdict and continued to economically strangle nicaragua until the people there finally voted in the "right" leader? that continued into the bush 1 years

does anybody even know that actually happened?

jeez talk about american history and go straight back to the gods amongst men founders and jerk off on them i guess is what you're promoting with this thread

I wonder how future generations, say 1000 years from now, will look back at our time period..

Will they mention Barack Obama is the first colored president, or will that be irrelevant in a (future) world full of mixed people?
    Will they discuss how technology turned the majority of the 1st world population into lame ducks?
    Will our time period be called something by historians, such as the New Renaissances?

Actually, will our time period even be worth discussing? Will 1980-2014 be completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things?

Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft2Xcelr8
    I wonder how future generations, say 1000 years from now, will look back at our time period..

Will they mention Barack Obama is the first colored president, or will that be irrelevant in a (future) world full of mixed people?
    Will they discuss how technology turned the majority of the 1st world population into lame ducks?
    Will our time period be called something by historians, such as the New Renaissances?

Actually, will our time period even be worth discussing? Will 1980-2014 be completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things?
    Nobody will care that Obama was the first "colored" president.

Think of it like this. How much do you care that Kennedy was the first catholic president? It was a huge deal at the time, but who even cares now?

I just can't imagine like 5k years from now when people will have infinitely more written history to go off of... I wish I could be around to see what was really considered important by the test of time.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    The "history" they teach in schools is so bare bones its barely worth teaching anyway.

"Columbus discovered America"
    "Lincoln freed the slaves"
    "The Americans, British and Russians beat the Germans in WW2"

History is one of those things you need to pursue on your own, if you're interested in it like I am.
    This.

There was never a time in american history were a majority of our citizens were well educated about our history.