Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anybody here wear compression shorts while playing?

I've been looking at compression shorts the last couple days, after getting knee'd in the thigh during a drive last Sunday.

Main one's I've been looking at are the Nike Pro Basketball Shorts, EastBay Compression Shorts, McDavid Shorts, etc.

Has anyone here used them before, and if so, which exact one and how has it affected your performance? Do you feel it and does it feel heavy when in play? Does it keep your legs / thighs warmed up to pro-long game-play without soreness?

Thanks for any input.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody here wear compression shorts while playing?

I wear the adidas tech fits with the built in padding,
    They are a little awkward at first but the extra weight/bulk doesn't bother you after wearing them a while.

The padding helps a little bit, but if you are getting hacked to pieces it won't do that much

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

I wear regular ones, never tried the padded ones. I wouldn't say they increase performance necessarily but the compression does help you stay loose and warm longer in the muscles, but most important is to make sure whatever brand you get has some sort of moisture wicking. They even have anti microbial fabrics now that stop you from stinking when you sweat.

Would compression shorts help my quads? Every time I play a game, my left quad is extremely sore afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Would compression shorts help my quads? Every time I play a game, my left quad is extremely sore afterward.
    Yeah it could help keep it warm.. wouldn't hurt. Do you know why it's only one quad and not the other?

Root Of All Evil

Frail Canadians ...

Maybe you have a deep bruise in that muscle in the leg.

All kidding aside though, I haven't worn any of the compression shorts witht he built in pads. It would feel really weird to me. I'm not playing HS football anymore, so what would be the point?

I like feeling sleek on the basketball court, and padding on my thighs beneath my shorts would make me feel awkward. With that said, I do however wear regular compression shorts. Can't have your junk flying around while playing.

I only started wearing compression shorts my senior year of highschool because our coach had orderd shorts that were pretty much see through. I got em for that but I stayed for the comfort and fit and after that I never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Yeah it could help keep it warm.. wouldn't hurt. Do you know why it's only one quad and not the other?
    No idea. At first its fine and then it hurts like hell the rest of the game. It got to the point where I would jump off my right exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai"Cliff is way better than I will ever be" Swoosh
    Frail Canadians ...

Maybe you have a deep bruise in that muscle in the leg.

All kidding aside though, I haven't worn any of the compression shorts witht he built in pads. It would feel really weird to me. I'm not playing HS football anymore, so what would be the point?

I like feeling sleek on the basketball court, and padding on my thighs beneath my shorts would make me feel awkward. With that said, I do however wear regular compression shorts. Can't have your junk flying around while playing.
    You're probably right about the bruise.

I think I'll probably get the ones with padding to avoid bruises like and just for the added sense of security. Does anyone here wear a shooting sleeve? (Dont flame me). I have a cheap one and was wondering what would be the best brand. I should probably go to the store, but the nearest sports store is like 20 miles away from me.

I wear the McDavid with pads. Love them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I don't wear compression shorts for basketball, but I wore full length compression pants and shirt when I was a sprinter. I felt like it helped me keep my muscles warmer in between races.

Root Of All Evil

I think I'll probably get the ones with padding to avoid bruises like and just for the added sense of security. Does anyone here wear a shooting sleeve? (Dont flame me). I have a cheap one and was wondering what would be the best brand. I should probably go to the store, but the nearest sports store is like 20 miles away from me.
    I see what you did there buddy ...

If you get a sleeve, at least get the ones with the pad built in them from McDavid, I believe.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I need to get some with kidney padding. I have chronic kidney disease, so its not suppose to be so great getting hit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I need to get some with kidney padding. I have chronic kidney disease, so its not suppose to be so great getting hit there.
    You will probably have to get the stuff Wade wears.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:103157/sku:1786080/McDavid%20Hexpad%20V-Hex%20Body%20Shirt%20-%20Men's?supercat=home&cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH:%20KEYWO RD%20SEARCH

National High School Star

I know this is totally anecdotal, but I'd stay away from McDavid stuff. I've bought two compression sleeves and an achilles brace from them. (The local sporting goods store only carries McDavid, which should be a red flag.) The achilles brace is already falling apart and I had to modify just to work right. The two sleeves are ok but they smell like gasoline and the neoprene seems to be separating on one of them, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the compression at this point. Overall, the next thing I buy is probably not going to be from mcdavid.

Anybody use the Nike Pro Basketball Compression Shorts? They look pretty sweet, and of course the brand is solid.