Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Memphis Grizzles contenders?

Quote Originally Posted by TaLvsCuaL
    The question is offensive. Specially after 3 or 4 good playoffs runs in a row, the OKC injuries problems and Spurs decline.
    This comment was a joke guys.

Seriously speaking, I have said many times that this team has too many deficiencies. Lacks scoring options, short bench, and tendency to choke. Also the best player for these reasons end the season gassed. Marc ,Zac, Conley are among the players who play more minutes and get less rest in recent years. I can't see them reaching the WCF. But they have some chance if the whole roster stay healthy.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKADS
    I think Gerald Greenwould be a great fit. He is a solid defender and could win you a few games when he gets hot.
    That's actually a much better idea, a scoring SF since they got two quality SG's already. Plus he's got a smaller salary than both I'm pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Last year they peaked at the right time, let's see if they can duplicate that.
    Courtney Lee has been great for them. Averaging almost 14 a game. Didn't think he would perform like he has.

Banned

They're definitely contenders if the game didn't favor so much on superstar offense. Like TaLvsCuaL said, their only hole is offense.

Last seasaon's playoff series against Thunder, they played a beautiful offense game moving with and without the ball; a lot of PnR's, backdoor cuts, easy basket schemes, etc. But it was just not enough when you're facing a team led by Durant and Westbrook.

I also think they would have matched up a lot better against the Spurs than the Thunder would because how well they operate as a team.
    Last edited by DMV2; 11-22-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Good High School Starter

Are the Memphis Grizzles contenders?

They have a very solid team, but they don't match up very well with the Spurs.

I think the Spurs are the best team in the West ... a season opening win over the Mavs, back-to-back road wins against the Clippers and Warriors, a big road win over the Cavs ...

The Spurs are missing Patty and Beli instant scoring spark off the bench, Tiago individual defense, yet they are off to an 8-4 start after playing eight games on the road.

The Spurs currently rank first in the NBA in defensive efficiency and points allowed. It's the most important thing, the foundation for a team looking to win an NBA title. And they will gradually improve on offense over the course of the season. A healthy Spurs team would be elite on both ends of the floor.

Spurs Def Rtg: 97.9 (1st of 30)

Spurs Opp PTS/G: 91.7 (1st of 30)

Duncan DRtg 92 / Kawhi DRtg 94

The Mavs are the biggest threat to the Spurs.

The Mavs always have a lot of firepower. And now Tyson Chandler, the defensive anchor of the Mavs' 2011 title team, is back.

They're scary. They are built to beat the Spurs.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

1st, 2nd round at most is their ceiling. Every year they are hyped up. Don't believe the hype. They are hot right now to start the season. It's a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximandro1
    Are the Memphis Grizzles contenders?

They have a very solid team, but they don't match up very well with the Spurs.

I think the Spurs are the best team in the West ... a season opening win over the Mavs, back-to-back road wins against the Clippers and Warriors, a big road win over the Cavs ...

The Spurs are missing Patty and Beli instant scoring spark off the bench, Tiago individual defense, yet they are off to an 8-4 start after playing eight games on the road.

The Spurs currently rank first in the NBA in defensive efficiency and points allowed. It's the most important thing, the foundation for a team looking to win an NBA title. And they will gradually improve on offense over the course of the season. A healthy Spurs team would be elite on both ends of the floor.

The Mavs are the biggest threat to the Spurs.

The Mavs always have a lot of firepower. And now Tyson Chandler, the defensive anchor of the Mavs' 2011 title team, is back.

They're scary. They are built to beat the Spurs.
    I agree with the Mavs being the Spurs biggest threat because no matter the incarnation they've a track record of giving the Spurs fits in the playoffs.

With that being said does that make the Mavs contenders???? because there is a chance that the Mavs don't even get an opportunity to play SAS.

And if they do and knock off SAS does that open things up for Memphis and GSW more so than it does for Dallas???

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    1st, 2nd round at most is their ceiling. Every year they are hyped up. Don't believe the hype. They are hot right now to start the season. It's a long season.
    This is the first season they are getting any recognition. Why shouldn't we believe the hype doe???

Their playoff track record is more impressive than anyone outside of SAS and OKC, and OKC might not make the playoffs.

Do people really buy into GSW, Houston, Dallas, LAC more so than a team with a recent WCF appearance. Heck i'll take there playoff performance in the first round over GSW's and LAC showing in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    You say like that like they didn't have deep runs..they have made the Conference finals where they beat the Spurs, made the 2nd round and lost in round one last year in 7 to OKC where they took a 3-2 lead. Not like any hype they have had they havn

NBA Legend

Theyre definitely contenders, yes.

I am your soldier!

Their offense is the best it has been in years. Conley is developed, Courtney Lee and Vince make it so you don't have to rely on TA and Prince for scoring in the clutch moments.

Koufos is a very solid big. Plus Quincy P, Beno, Leuer are decent bench guys, as well as Calathes.

If they're not at least in the WCF I'd be surprised.

ZBo just needs to start hitting jumpers again.

Absolutely. I never understood why people always put the Clippers as contenders and not the Grizzlies, when the Grizzlies have had more success and are a much better defensive team than the Clippers. Their offense is also picking up, better than the horror show we've been seeing the past couple of seasons. I guess the Gasol/Z-Bo combo isn't as "exciting" to watch as Lob City.

they are contenders. easily. their defense will always keep them in a game, and all it takes is the right players getting hot at the right time (like Dirk in '11) for them to go all the way

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Absolutely. I never understood why people always put the Clippers as contenders and not the Grizzlies, when the Grizzlies have had more success and are a much better defensive team than the Clippers. Their offense is also picking up, better than the horror show we've been seeing the past couple of seasons. I guess the Gasol/Z-Bo combo isn't as "exciting" to watch as Lob City.
    Yea same thing with GSW, Memphis has a superior track record and even going back to last season was a tougher out.

Memphis is back on that Grizzly, so give me their grind over the LAC's flash

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Yea same thing with GSW, Memphis has a superior track record and even going back to last season was a tougher out.

Memphis is back on that Grizzly, so give me their grind over the LAC's flash
    Wouldn't surprise me if Memphis and GS got the top two seeds out west.