Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do you worship money?

"The disenchanted cosmos impoverishes the collective psyche in the most global way, vitiating its spiritual and moral imagination--"vitiate" not only in the sense of diminish and impair but also in the sense of deform and debase. In such a context, everything can be appropriated. Nothing is immune. Majestic vistas of nature, great works of art, revered music, eloquent language, the beauty of the human body, distant lands and cultures, extraordinary moments of history, the arousal of deep human emotion: all become advertising tools to manipulate consumer response. For quite literally, in a disenchanted cosmos, nothing is sacred. The soul of the world has been extinguished: Ancient trees and forests can then be seen as nothing but potential lumber; mountains nothing but mineral deposits; seashores and deserts are oil reserves; lakes and rivers, engineering tools. Animals are perceived as harvestable commodities, indigenous tribes as obstructing relics of an outmoded past, children's minds as marketing targets. At the all-important cosmological level, the spiritual dimension of the empirical universe has been entirely negated, and with it, any publicly affirmable encompassing ground for moral wisdom and restraint. The short term and the bottom line rule all. Whether in politics, business, or the media, the lowest common denominator of the culture increasingly governs discourse and prescribes the values of the whole. Myopically obsessed with narrow goals and narrow identities, the powerful blind themselves to the larger suffering and crisis of the global community.

In a world where the subject is experienced as living in--and above and against--a world of objects, other peoples and cultures are more readily perceived as simply other objects, inferior in value to oneself, to ignore or exploit for one's own purposes, as are other forms of life, biosystems, the planetary whole. Moreover, the underlying anxiety and disorientation that pervade modern societies in the face of a meaningless cosmos create both a collective psychic numbness and a desperate spiritual hunger, leading to an addictive, insatiable craving for ever more material goods to fill the inner emptiness and producing a manic techno-consumerism that cannibalizes the planet. Highly practical consequences ensue from the disenchanted modern world view."

-Richard Tarnas

No, I think worshipping money is both deeply foolish and profoundly destructive.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

[QUOTE=warriorfan]Have you ever seen that show extreme cheapskates lol? It

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    The way I look at it it makes no sense to waste mental energy trying to reduce minor costs...at that point youd be better off thinking about how to make more.
    That's called proper time management.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    The way I look at it it makes no sense to waste mental energy trying to reduce minor costs...at that point youd be better off thinking about how to make more.
    Big time. Like I said before they have some sort of mental block that is going on to not let them realize it. It

I rule the local playground

I know people who lived waaay under their means and invested all of their money. As a result, they retired young, travel, sit on the beach without a care in the world.

Not wanting to waste money does not equate to worshipping money.

There are kids starving in Africa. I don

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

As long as I can make a comfortable living. My goal is to be making 150K-180K in my mid 30s in corporate America. A lot of my cousins make around 100-200K w/ just bachelor degrees and a lot of job movement (to improve their CV).

I would rather have a really cool job I really like making 90K-120K rather than something 200K+ doing something I hate.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

i don't think of being frugal as worshipping money. I think being materialistic is worshipping money. Like taking out a loan for a car you can't afford to show off to other people that "you made it" or whatever.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    No because a green piece of paper doesn't give you life or causes crops to grow.
    Savings creates capital which creates crops...so yes it does cause crops to grow.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Savings creates capital which creates crops...so yes it does cause crops to grow.
    Capital is neither necessary nor sufficient.

Plants grow without human involvement and capital.

AND

Human capital is not the force that initiates the splitting of the plants seed nor its photosynthesis nor it's growth.

Thus you have confused causation with correlation
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 03-12-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Capital is neither necessary nor sufficient.

Plants grow without human involvement and capital.

AND

Human capital is not the force that initiates the splitting of the plants seed nor its photosynthesis nor it's growth.

Thus you have confused causation with correlation
    You're substituting plants with crops which isn't what you initially said. Sure a crop is a plant but a plant isnt necessarily a crop.

5-time NBA All-Star

You're substituting plants with crops which isn't what you initially said. Sure a crop is a plant but a plant isnt necessarily a crop.
    The message I meant to convey is that the food that we eat and need to live is created, sustained and nourished by God----and the green paper we use for monetary exchange is a medium that does not affect the growth of the plant.

My apologies for using the incorrect vocabulary.

The message I meant to convey is that the food that we eat and need to live is created, sustained and nourished by God----and the green paper we use for monetary exchange is a medium that does not affect the growth of the plant.

My apologies for using the incorrect vocabulary.
    Ok that's fine. Make more threads like how to help young men. I liked that one.

5-time NBA All-Star

Ok that's fine. Make more threads like how to help young men. I liked that one.
    Right---men are getting screwed over left and right in America.

There has to be action done for their welfare intellectually, socially, spiritually, emotionally.

One thing that you can introduce--as a viewer of Peterson's video is the necessity for possessing personal responsibility over a victim mentality.