Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Are we all the same person?

But just molded by different environment and experiences? I know this is crazy but hear me out before you reply.

When you were born, psychologically, you were basically a blank page. Genetics are there to indicate some of your behaviour, and then you go through experiences until you get to the present. Now you are you.

I am born, I have a genetic imprint, and then I go through experiences and then I reach the present. Now I am me.

Now, if we switched, and I was born in your life and you were born in mine, would we do anything differently? I would have your genetics, and then go through every single experience you did. Would I end up being molded psychologically and mentally as the present you? If not, why? And would it work vice versa?

If so, then do we really not have free will as to who we become? Is our destiny already laid out and we are just walking into it? Also, why is a person bad? When a person is arrested, are you not just punishing them for something out of their control? Something that you would have done had you switched places?

Its kinda crazy to think about. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Are we all the same person?

idk

Banned

Yes.

/thread

The theory of the mind being a 'blank slate' has been disproven repeatedly, so no, we are all different genetically.

On the other hand, the all-is-one and one-is-all doctrine proposed by Spinoza does have viability to it.

When we are in our daddy's nutz we are all the same.

At one point everyone in this world was the same thing. So yes... we are all the same person. Kinda creepy but its true.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    When we are in our daddy's nutz we are all the same.

At one point everyone in this world was the same thing. So yes... we are all the same person. Kinda creepy but its true.
    No 'we' aren't. If a different sperm had fertilised your mother's egg then you would be a different person.

yes we are. we come from 1 being, and we all have attributes and characteristics of that 1 being. each person has a small spectrum of this beings full spectrum of characteristics. We look like him/her/it. if we combined every humans characteristics on this planet into 1 person, thats what the creator of humans would be like.

Banned

Hell no

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    yes we are. we come from 1 being, and we all have attributes and characteristics of that 1 being. We look like him/her/it. if we combined every humans characteristics on this planet into 1 person, thats what the creator of humans would be like.
    One massive ****ing contradiction then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    One massive ****ing contradiction then.
    why. explain

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    The theory of the mind being a 'blank slate' has been disproven repeatedly, so no, we are all different genetically.
    i don't think he's talking about a blank slate here, at least in the sense you suggest has been repeatedly disproven. the blank slate is untenable because if it were the case, our obviously natural capacities like empathy, language, intuition, rationality, etc would be completely impossible. it would only make sense that, just as we're endowed with eyes that let us see and lungs that let us breathe, we also start our lives with innate faculties that allow us to achieve everything we have.

but none of that would necessarily suggest we aren't mostly homogenous from the get go.

of course then as i write this i start to see why that's just obviously bullshit. if genetics change over time based on experience and environment, that necessarily means my parents genes that were passed on to me were modified in all sorts of ways depending on how they lived their lives, making their genetic starting point different than bill's down the road since his parents and his parents' parents etc ad infinitum lived different lives.

to sum up, please ignore this post.

Banned

WE ARE ZeN

yes we are. we come from 1 being, and we all have attributes and characteristics of that 1 being. each person has a small spectrum of this beings full spectrum of characteristics. We look like him/her/it. if we combined every humans characteristics on this planet into 1 person, thats what the creator of humans would be like.
    If by '1 being', you mean some simple replicating molecule that was around 3-4 billion years ago, then yes. However, this post demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of simple biology and evolution. If you combine every human characteristic, we would NOT get the 'creator', if it makes sense to use such a word.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    If by '1 being', you mean some simple replicating molecule that was around 3-4 billion years ago, then yes. However, this post demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of simple biology and evolution. If you combine every human characteristic, we would NOT get the 'creator', if it makes sense to use such a word.
    and where did this molecule come from? the asshole of outerspace?

in science a principle is "matter cannot be created nor destroyed" do you understand that we are matter and that it had to be created somehow? so sorry science, you cant explain anything spiritual or anything at a higher level than worldly observations.
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 04-23-2014 at 07:23 PM.

and where did this molecule come from? the asshole of outerspace?

in science a principle is "matter cannot be created nor destroyed" do you understand that we are matter and that it had to be created somehow? so sorry science, you cant explain anything spiritual or anything at a higher level than worldly observations.
    No it came from God's asshole.

While it's obvious that science can't explain everything, to make up a supernatural being (which clearly adds its own origin problems) only adds more questions than answers. So 'Goddidit' isn't a satisfactory answer from me. What we do know, however, is that we evolved from simpler life forms.