Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Does Porzingis look awkward?

Quote Originally Posted by Cone

porzingis will be great, and make a few all-star teams.. but nah.
    Well we do know that Porzingis is better then Dirk at the same age... so I wouldn't limit him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Well we do know that Porzingis is better then Dirk at the same age... so I wouldn't limit him.
    It's REALLY hard to say a young player will take the jump to become a guy like Dirk though. Yeah it's possible but it's really rare for a player to become that good and hard to predict.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

I wouldn't say his movement has been awkward but something has been up in the past 3-4 games. Porzingis although was a defensive beast last night, didn't seem like himself. Not sure if he's injured or because of some personal problems.

Kid's still very young. He moves very well and he's well coordinated. All he needs is 50 pounds on his frame to make him seem less awkward in the post on offense. I do hope he doesn't fall in love with the 3 as much as he seemed like last night.

show me a more fluid 7'3' player.
    Kareem didn't mess around with perimeter play, but he was a much more fluid athlete than KP overall.

Part of KP's awkwardness will go away with time as he continues to develop. But he doesn't have a KG or Dirk-type body. Never mind a true SG-type fluidity like Kevin Durant. He moves like a forward, and not a particularly mobile one (Melo and Griffin are forwards); he plays on the perimeter because this is 2015 and he happens to have a great shooting touch.

Westbrook used to look awkward at times too back when I was comparing his movements to Rose. That's just because Rose was the only other guy who was moving at that speed.

Porzingis looks very fluid to me. The only other guy who was anywhere close to him at that size is Ralph Sampson. He starts looking awkward when he gets bodied tho because it throws his balance way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Kareem didn't mess around with perimeter play, but he was a much more fluid athlete than KP overall.

Part of KP's awkwardness will go away with time as he continues to develop. But he doesn't have a KG or Dirk-type body. Never mind a true SG-type fluidity like Kevin Durant. He moves like a forward, and not a particularly mobile one (Melo and Griffin are forwards); he plays on the perimeter because this is 2015 and he happens to have a great shooting touch.
    Durant's a strange case of where the eyes are deceptive. Durant can look awkward even tho he isn't. He looks awkward because it is so unbelievable that a guy that lanky is actually in control of his movements. Probably a GOAT candidate in terms of size to body control ratio.
    Last edited by FKAri; 12-17-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Dirk and Kristaps were both 20yrs old their rookie seasons. Dirk was thicker though and more filled out.

Who knows how long it will take for Porzingis to fill out some and add more muscle. It may never happen, but he needs to do that in order to be able to battle down low to post up / fight for rebounds / put-backs.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton

Yeah no comparison. Kareem was extremely fluid for a 7 footer.

I would love to see KP try to develop a skyhook though once he bulks up a bit. Could be a good go-to shot for him down low.

Durant's a strange case of where the eyes are deceptive. Durant can look awkward even tho he isn't. He looks awkward because it is so unbelievable that a guy that lanky is actually in control of his movements.
    I know. I remember thinking he couldn't succeed as a pro when he was in college because I didn't believe what I was seeing. I thought he could only move / handle the ball like that against inferior competition.

You don't have that sense of "this is surreal" when you watch KP do stuff. You just think, "wow that guy has long arms... balls hard... and can shoot it from the tunnel." Which is great - but Dirk was doing something different.

I would love to see KP try to develop a skyhook though once he bulks up a bit. Could be a good go-to shot for him down low.
    It would be utterly unstoppable.

Especially with teams posting lineups these days with no one over 6'10.

Anyone can shoot a 3. Not everyone can be 7'3.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

People need to watch a young Shawn Bradley. Before his bad back, Bradley was very mobile.

Porzingas is a center. He reminds me of a "jumpier" Big Z.

Local High School Star

If anyone looks awkward while playing, it's KAT. Dude looks really goofy when he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    If anyone looks awkward while playing, it's KAT. Dude looks really goofy when he plays.
    KAT does look robotic. Jahlil looks like that fat guy you laugh at when he walks onto the dance floor and your jaw drops when he starts busting them moves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    KAT does look robotic. Jahlil looks like that fat guy you laugh at when he walks onto the dance floor and your jaw drops when he starts busting them moves.

Very good NBA starter

Where does the measurement of 7-3 come from, he looks no more than 7-1 at most.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Where does the measurement of 7-3 come from, he looks no more than 7-1 at most.
    he's 7"8 barefoot apparently.