Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kobe 2007

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe 2007

TS% bugs me in times like this.

I just dont see the point. I suspect he was shooting at least ok...I remember he was hot. If its 46 overall, 37% from 3, and 89 from the line....

Is that less information than saying TS is whatever that equals?

I feel like I need to go look into it every time just to get an idea of what happened. An extra step work wise to get an idea of what he was doing.

In fact, from the Portland game until the end of the season, Kobe averaged 40.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 4.4 apg on 47.3% shooting, 35.3% on 3s and 88.5% from the line
    There we go.

Never understood why we need to get rid of that. just...feels like a better idea of what happened. Ts being 3 or whatever things combined....doesnt tell you which one got the final number where it is. what was lacking. I have to google every time someone posts it.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Averaged 33/6/6/2 on 57% TS in the last 65 games of the season.

Discuss.
    He wasn't even the best player in the league that season?

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    His end of the season scoring binge has to be one of the most impressive individual feats.

Phil gives him the green light to shoot while LA is on a 6 game losing streak and the result is 65 and win vs Portland, eventually four consecutive 50+ games including another 60 point game, all in wins, and then 43 to make the winning streak 5.

In fact, from the Portland game until the end of the season, Kobe averaged 40.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 4.4 apg on 47.3% shooting, 35.3% on 3s and 88.5% from the line for an eFG% of 50.9% and 57.9 TS% and only 2.8 turnovers per game over his final 17 games.

I can't think of a time period in recent NBA history where a player scoring 50 seemed as ordinary as Kobe during that final month or so. In fact, he scored at least 50 in seven of those final 17 games, and at least 40 in 9 of those games.
    Phil should have gotten Smush Parker and Luke Walton more shots

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

I just dont see the point. I suspect he was shooting at least ok...I remember he was hot. If its 46 overall, 37% from 3, and 89 from the line....

I feel like I need to go look into it every time just to get an idea of what happened. An extra step work wise to get an idea of what he was doing.
    Two players

One goes 9/20 from the field 45%fg and scores 18pts

One goes 8/20 from the field 40%fg and scores 20pts

Which player had the more efficient night?

Dont take this the wrong way but...I dont care.

Not even a little bit.

The whole efficiency argument annoys me. I see why its better to make shots than miss them. But a final __ of ___ doesnt do much for me.

I remember a game Derrick Rose literally took 3 half court or near it 3s beating the buzzer and at the end some guy posts that he shot like 8-19 and...

I dont know. I need to see the shots in question either way.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Prime Kobe failing to win a playoff series yet again for the 3rd straight season in which he did not have the best front court in bball.....the GOAT at being overrated and a myth

Local High School Star

Because 3s are worth more than 2s and FTs are another method of scoring.

Take Hack a Shaq for example. Teams fouled him primarily because they knew he was likely to miss 1 or two of them and that essentially hurt his team's offense by wasting an offensive possession of theirs.

TS% shows that.

FG% doesn't take FTs into account. FG% just takes misses or makes regardless if it was a two or three and regardless if FTs were taken.

Soooooooooooo...why not say what they shot overall, from 3, and from the line?

Is there additional information being considered that im not aware of?

Local High School Star

Soooooooooooo...why not say what they shot overall, from 3, and from the line?

Is there additional information being considered that im not aware of?
    It's a combine statistic, a short-cut per se.

Lets take a look at an example.

copy and paste from somewhere else...
    In 2007/2008

Smith had 46/40/72 in that season, Kapono had 49/48/86. Now the non-advanced stats numbers will give you the impression that Kapono was more efficient as a scorer, in fact he had the higher fg%, 3p% and ft%.

But a look at ts% reveals something here. JR Smith had 60.3 ts%, Kapono had 56.1 ts%. How is that possible? Well, rather easy, Smith used his ability to drive to the hoop (or cutting, slashing) and his range to either get a close shot, 3pt shot or a free throw. All of those are rather efficient ways to score. Kapono on the other end took a lot of long 2pt shots, had a lot of uncontested shots and didn't create a lot of of FTA. Thus overall his higher shooting percentages didn't translate in a more efficient scoring game.

TS% doesn't make sense period.

FGA and 3FGA have defenders.

Free Throws are entirely different context of the game. You're alone, on the line, no defenders. It makes little sense combining those percentages with regular field goal attempts.

I get that getting to the line is a form of efficient scoring, but it isn't always representative of drives to the basket, beating your man off the dribble (which is difficult) ... the context of the shot in order to score is entirely different.

It's a separate category all together.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    TS% doesn't make sense period.

FGA and 3FGA have defenders.

Free Throws are entirely different context of the game. You're alone, on the line, no defenders. It makes little sense combining those percentages with regular field goal attempts.

I get that getting to the line is a form of efficient scoring, but it isn't always representative of drives to the basket, beating your man off the dribble (which is difficult) ... the context of the shot in order to score is entirely different.

It's a separate category all together.
    eFG% is more accurate then. FG% would be a good indication to see how well a player defended the other player though, as it just simply shows makes or misses.

But 2 points and 3 points are not worth the same and eFG% adjusts that. TS% accounts FT shooting which is another way to score. It's a skill to be able to get to the FT line and it's also a skill to make them.

Ok so....guy shoots better in every way.

But is less efficient because he doesnt take free throws?

Im...gonna just stick to watching basketball. This stat shit changes every 3 years it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Slide
    It's a combine statistic, a short-cut per se.

Lets take a look at an example.

copy and paste from somewhere else...
    TS% and PER are just BS.

I haven't seen a person that can explain that 0.44 multiplier properly. Everyone defends TS%, says it's being used for eliminate technicals and and-ones. But noone care to calculate season by season the actual numbers for them. Even so-called analysts.

Local High School Star

Ok so....guy shoots better in every way.

But is less efficient because he doesnt take free throws?

Im...gonna just stick to watching basketball. This stat shit changes every 3 years it seems.
    Kapono is less efficient as a scorer but more efficient as a shooter.

Obviously if you want to determine who is a better 3 pt shooter, you would use 3p% and that's it, but if you to see who scores the most efficiently then TS% is the one you use.