Default Moses Malone's Defense

How good/bad was it? Would really like to be further educated in this topic, as I feel it's vital regarding my placement for Moses all-time...

Would appreciate it if ShaqAttack could make an appearance for this one

Also, if it only was "average", as a big he'd still have more Impact, than let's say a guard who's a solid defender.. agreed? (Don't want this to be the main topic though)

Banned

Default Re: Moses Malone's Defense

Rockets was one of the worst defensive teams late 70s with him as an anchor. I think I read that somewhere.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Kevin Love like but because he was black and had that speech impediment caused from his cocaine habit the opponents were more intimidated.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Homie, we major.

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
    Kevin Love like but because he was black and had that speech impediment caused from his cocaine habit the opponents were more intimidated.

Moses was an average defender. Not sure what the heck being black and having a speech impediment has to do with intimidating opponents.
    Last edited by JellyBean; 04-03-2014 at 07:44 PM.

People saying 'average' best not be talking about his peak...

He was a pretty good and impactful defender when he put in the effort (also because he was a big), so we're talking about like 4/5 seasons and mostly/especially at his best, plus after 1983 he was never quite the same overall. He was able to play some nice and very physical m2m D in the post and average like 1 steal and 2 blocks, intimidating also.
    In 1983 - call it his peak and his last season at a terrific level - he played the best defense of his career (of course he also had better teammates as far as that): 1 spg, 2 bpg (10th), 2nd in DWS, 2nd in DRtg, made all-defensive 1st, maintained/elevated in the playoffs, great/really impactful year as far as defense (obviously not even half of the story)... Never was at that level before or after, although he was somewhat close in some years around that. Take it for what it is but let's not call him average if we're talking about prime, considerably above that.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    How good/bad was it? Would really like to be further educated in this topic, as I feel it's vital regarding my placement for Moses all-time...

Would appreciate it if ShaqAttack could make an appearance for this one

Also, if it only was "average", as a big he'd still have more Impact, than let's say a guard who's a solid defender.. agreed? (Don't want this to be the main topic though)
    I think he was average but his banging usually wore the opposing center down and it affected their play quite a bit. The preoccupation of keeping him off of the offensive glass also wore centers down. So they rarely had legs at the end of the game. Kareem seemed to be annoyed by him so I would say he was a pretty good defender.

Before Mo joined up with Bobby Jones and Maurice Cheeks, Moses teams absolutely sucked on defense. And with Philly I'm sure Doc blocked plenty more shots than Mo too.

A solid point guard defender for a defensive coach means more than an average center defender on a top 5 worse defensive team.

Kareem didn't think much of his defense, and this was when Kareem was old.

He and Karl were similar defenders but Karl liked to play dirtier at times. Like they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    He and Karl were similar defenders but Karl liked to play dirtier at times. Like they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree
    But they're not brothers

But they're not brothers
    Maybe he's talking about George Karl? It would make the same amount of sense.

But they're not brothers
    IncarceratedBob intentionally says the dumbest shit. Like when he said something like "Washington doesn't care about the Wizards, they're all about the Seahawks"

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Kareem didn't think much of his defense, and this was when Kareem was old.
    Then again, Kareem probably didn't respect the D of most bigs.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Maybe he's talking about George Karl? It would make the same amount of sense.
    or karl marx for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor