Question Better comeback season, Carmelo Anthony or Paul George ?

Both players had injury plagued campaigns last season but both look to be healthy this coming year.

If both are 100% once again, which player will have a better comeback season and which respective team will have a better record ? Do either the Knicks or Pacers make playoffs if not both ?

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: Better comeback season, Carmelo Anthony or Paul George ?

Sorry bro, Melo is just old and not so good anymore (not that he was ever so great to begin with).

Shouldn't Melo's game translate to being older? He was never a Westbrook-like athlete. But he is a skilled scorer who can use his bulk at SF to post up.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I think that Carmelo will definetly be the better player next season (if both are healthy). Even injured Carmelo put up 24.2 PPG, 6.6 RPG, and 3.1 APG on 44.4% FG while George put up 21.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, and 3.5 APG on 42.4% FG. An injured Melo arguably performed better than the best we've seen of PG13.
    Now as for who's team will be better? I have zero faith in the Knicks making a playoff run this year; they were lucky to get into the payoffs 2011-2013 and just aren't a very good franchise. So Pacers with the better record (and a playoff spot) but Melo > George

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Both players had injury plagued campaigns last season but both look to be healthy this coming year.

If both are 100% once again, which player will have a better comeback season and which respective team will have a better record ? Do either the Knicks or Pacers make playoffs if not both ?
    If PG is 100% healthy, he has the chance to be a top 5 player. He has that type of talent, athleticism, length and skills. But i'll believe it when I see it.

Melo is going to get his points at the expense of the offense as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    I think that Carmelo will definetly be the better player next season (if both are healthy). Even injured Carmelo put up 24.2 PPG, 6.6 RPG, and 3.1 APG on 44.4% FG while George put up 21.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, and 3.5 APG on 42.4% FG. An injured Melo arguably performed better than the best we've seen of PG13.
    Now as for who's team will be better? I have zero faith in the Knicks making a playoff run this year; they were lucky to get into the payoffs 2011-2013 and just aren't a very good franchise. So Pacers with the better record (and a playoff spot) but Melo > George
    3ppg.....or elite defense.

I know which I choose. Especially because one of those guys goes rogue on the offense half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Shouldn't Melo's game translate to being older? He was never a Westbrook-like athlete. But he is a skilled scorer who can use his bulk at SF to post up.
    just because a player doesnt have great athleticism doesnt mean that his game isnt reliant on the athleticism that he does have.

if melo loses some athleticism, and he cant create separation as easily to get his jumper off, he could really fall off as a scorer

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    3ppg.....or elite defense.

I know which I choose. Especially because one of those guys goes rogue on the offense half the time.
    To be fair, PG is very inconsistent on offense even in his best season.

I do agree that his defense, range, and being the younger player makes him safe bet but im not convinced hes ever been clear cut better than Melo either in any season.

Paul George easily.

He's much younger and thus has much less cumulative attrition on his body, has a much more stringent work ethic than Carmelo (you don't become the Most Improved Player awardee without going the extra mile to improve your game), and he's going to play in a plannedly faster-paced offense that'll be an impetus to bumped-up productional levels from him—as opposed to the plodding, directionless offensive system he's played in for years past.

As an impact player, I have no question that the relatively unheralded Paul George is better overall, being the two-way force that he is; and considering the rate in which the 25-year-old has improved at when healthy, he has much more potential—thus, a bigger ceiling for his comeback level.
    Last edited by Naero; 09-08-2015 at 09:16 PM.

As for whether or not either team makes the playoffs...

I'm faithless in the Knicks' chances. Obvious roster deficiencies aside, let's look at arguably the most integral position in the coach, mainly...

Unless Derek Fisher has made strides in the learning curve for NBA-coaching, they are bound to be perennial lottery-contenders with the current roster, and they will even underachieve with any even well-built on-paper roster. Many want to give him a pass due to his roster, but there is no convincing me that Derek Fisher has just as concern-worthy of shortcomings as the roster itself.

Derek Fisher's mentality has been chief in the hiring demand for him, it seems; while he is a good mediator in that regard, what about his role as a motivator

Melo should retire