Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Original ISH CLTHornet CLTHornets4eva's Avatar

Default What should the Hornets do at 9?

With the 9th, 24th and 45th and over $17m in cap room the Hornets have a lot of flexibility after getting Detroit's pick.

What should they do?

Move up, stay there or trade for Hayward, Monroe or even try for Love?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: What should the Hornets do at 9?

Trading for Monroe would feel like a ransom situation, with Charlotte taking Detroit's pick in the first place and all.

Also, it'd be kind of hilarious on Detroit's end. Trade away your pick. Trade a successful former lottery pick to get that lottery pick back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Trading for Monroe would feel like a ransom situation, with Charlotte taking Detroit's pick in the first place and all.

Also, it'd be kind of hilarious on Detroit's end. Trade away your pick. Trade a successful former lottery pick to get that lottery pick back.
    Which could work for Detroit somehow. They could trade up packaging that pick with Josh Smith's contract. Maybe Celtics would bite?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

They need a PF and Love is not an option since he wont be willing to resign with Charlotte.

I think they got a core capable of getting to the second round in the next two years. If they keep the 9th, they could draft Aaron Gordon or McDermott.

Enough salary cap to sign Deng or Ariza plus a backup guard.

Interesting future.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Which could work for Detroit somehow. They could trade up packaging that pick with Josh Smith's contract. Maybe Celtics would bite?
    Smith is contract cancer and a toxic teammate (or you can strike that and reverse it ). Nobody is dumb enough to make a move for him, besides the Nets or Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by CLTHornets4eva
    Smith is contract cancer and a toxic teammate (or you can strike that and reverse it ). Nobody is dumb enough to make a move for him, besides the Nets or Knicks.
    The Celtics has expressed interest in him for a long time.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Detroit would have to pair Josh with a future first round pick a la Ben Gordon. It would be funnier to do that, again with Charlotte.

Knowing the Charlottes recent draft history their should defiently trade for Monroe or Josh Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    The Celtics has expressed interest in him for a long time.
    Celtics were interested when he was younger and wasn't completely ruined by bad coaching and a huge annual contract.

If I'm Rich Cho I would use that 24th pick to move up a couple spots. The value at 5-7 is much better than 9. I really like Gordon and Vonleh. I'd draft Randle, Gordon and Vonleh in that order then go hard for Afflalo. I can't really stand how FA is AFTER the draft.

Decent college freshman

I'm hoping Charlotte moves in right direction. They need to finally have some luck in regards to nailing the draft. I'd potentially call Chicago to package #9 + #24 + filler for Gibson + #16 + #19 if I were looking for a starting PF on a reasonable deal who could contribute right now. I don't like Smith (at his current contract) or Monroe on this squad (game is too similar to Jefferson). Getting a younger PF through the draft would be ideal, but idk if teams would be willing to trade down. I can see the Lakers potentially doing that, though.

Affalo would be a great addition to the team, though. I'm not sure what it'll take to get him since he's essentially an expiring contract. They should have offered BG's expiring + future pick for Affalo mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by CLTHornets4eva
    Celtics were interested when he was younger and wasn't completely ruined by bad coaching and a huge annual contract.

If I'm Rich Cho I would use that 24th pick to move up a couple spots. The value at 5-7 is much better than 9. I really like Gordon and Vonleh. I'd draft Randle, Gordon and Vonleh in that order then go hard for Afflalo. I can't really stand how FA is AFTER the draft.
    Good luck, no team in their right mind moves back out of the elite prospect range to get two middling prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    I'm hoping Charlotte moves in right direction. They need to finally have some luck in regards to nailing the draft. I'd potentially call Chicago to package #9 + #24 + filler for Gibson + #16 + #19 if I were looking for a starting PF on a reasonable deal who could contribute right now. I don't like Smith (at his current contract) or Monroe on this squad (game is too similar to Jefferson). Getting a younger PF through the draft would be ideal, but idk if teams would be willing to trade down. I can see the Lakers potentially doing that, though.

Affalo would be a great addition to the team, though. I'm not sure what it'll take to get him since he's essentially an expiring contract. They should have offered BG's expiring + future pick for Affalo mid-season.
    They attempted to trade for Afflalo but I'm not sure it was worth trading for a guy you can sign a couple months later. I think the Bulls will use Gibson to try to make a move for Love.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Good luck, no team in their right mind moves back out of the elite prospect range to get two middling prospects.
    I don't think 9th is middling in this draft.

You mean the Pelicans? They will be picking someone like Aaron Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    You mean the Pelicans? They will be picking someone like Aaron Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Yeah, last time I checked the Hornets already changed their name into the Pelicans. I am not surprised some still call them the Hornets though.