Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Austin Rivers will be the biggest bust of this draft

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Austin Rivers will be the biggest bust of this draft

Even IF that is the case, at least NO has Davis as the take away from this draft class. It's also insurance if Gordon wants out.

Regardless of the Rivers pick, I'm really interested to see how this Hornets team plays next season. Yeah, they lost a shitload of games, but I remember some of those being close losses, and they didn't even have Gordon. When he came back they were a surprisingly tough team.

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

Something about the kid irked me watching him play this past year. 15 pts/game on 43% shooting and a tourney loss to Lehigh........not overly impressive,,,,,,,,not sure he is better than Jerryd Bayless was coming out of Zona

Banned

Rivers will at least have a longer career than Jimmer Fredette... although that may not be saying much.

If people stop trying to push Rivers into a PG role at the NBA level, he should be okay.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Rivers will either wash out quickly or with lots lots of hard work will be a decent player. But he's not ready. He can't play off the ball. He's not ready.

Banned

I don't know about biggest bust but I do think he will be a bust. He is not NBA ready yet in my opinion and whoever compared him to Jimmer was pretty spot on.

The biggest bust will be Thomas Robinson in my opinion. I like the guy but I don't think he is going to be as good as advertised or as expected to be.

Lets be positive here and hope for no bust? make the nba more interesting

but if there's a bust its going to be waiters

I don't understand why the guys during the draft last night were going on and on about how good of a pick this was. Rivers was considered a borderline lottery talent at best, never mind a top 10 pick. I think he has some potential but, considering they have Gordon (for now) it didn't make much sense.

I can see Rivers becoming a 6th Man extraordinaire which can workout for New Orleans, but then you've got the issue of playing he and Gordon at the same time even though neither is a PG.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I don't understand why the guys during the draft last night were going on and on about how good of a pick this was. Rivers was considered a borderline lottery talent at best, never mind a top 10 pick. I think he has some potential but, considering they have Gordon (for now) it didn't make much sense.
    Honestly, it's probably because they like and respect Doc. They couldn't exactly trash the kid on live TV, either. Everybody is milking the whole "basketball pedigree" story line, which will probably keep teams interested in him early in his career... despite the fact that he isn't exactly paying dividends. It certainly didn't work for Ewing's kid.

Rivers could be one of those career journeymen. The verdict is still out, so I don't want to be too critical... I've just heard the phrase "one dimensional" thrown around too much to feel confident about his long-term future in the league.

Although even the Eddie House's of the world found spots on rosters, right?

Rivers made a dumb decision going to Duke. That team isn't built for players like him. I don't think he got to showcase his entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    Honestly, it's probably because they like and respect Doc. They couldn't exactly trash the kid on live TV, either. Everybody is milking the whole "basketball pedigree" story line, which will probably keep teams interested in him early in his career... despite the fact that he isn't exactly paying dividends. It certainly didn't work for Ewing's kid.

Rivers could be one of those career journeymen. The verdict is still out, so I don't want to be too critical... I've just heard the phrase "one dimensional" thrown around too much to feel confident about his long-term future in the league.

Although even the Eddie House's of the world found spots on rosters, right?
    That's the only reason I could think of. They like and respect Doc, who was there with Austin, and it probably would have been really uncomfortable if they had knocked the pick with Doc in the building.

And I definitely think Austin can make it int he NBA. That's not the point I was trying to make. He's got the ability and athleticism to be, at worst, a solid 7th or 8th man on contender. I just thought him going #10 was a reach, especially when you consider that the team who took him already has a much better version of who he is as a player.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Regardless of the Rivers pick, I'm really interested to see how this Hornets team plays next season. Yeah, they lost a shitload of games, but I remember some of those being close losses, and they didn't even have Gordon. When he came back they were a surprisingly tough team.
    They were without their real starters in a lot of games. Healthy, Hornets should be a really good team.

They have size, can defend on the perimeter and in the paint, can sore inside and outside, looks to have a solid 8 man rotation, good coach....all they really need is to find who there are. Needs to be a better passing team too. No one on that team can really run an offense. If they decide to start Rivers, definitely won't help the cause. But overall pretty well balanced team.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Monty Williams is a good coach who kept control of the locker room.

Unlike the situation in Charlotte, which was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    Rivers will at least have a longer career than Jimmer Fredette... although that may not be saying much.

If people stop trying to push Rivers into a PG role at the NBA level, he should be okay.
    Send Jimmer to the Hawks for a first round pick (lottery protected).
    The Kings aren't using him properly.