Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Default Re: In 1975 back when players voted for MVP...a guy named Mike Bantom....

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Following the 'best player' quota... MVPs since '90, IMO:

90: Jordan
    91: Jordan
    92: Jordan
    93: Jordan
    94: Hakeem
    95: Hakeem
    96: Jordan
    97: Jordan
    98: Jordan/Shaq
    99: Shaq
    00: Shaq
    01: Shaq
    02: Shaq
    03: Duncan
    04: Garnett
    05: Duncan
    06: Kobe
    07: Kobe/Duncan
    08: Kobe
    09: LeBron
    10: LeBron
    11: LeBron
    12: LeBron
    13: LeBron
    I'm going to have to agree with you except I'm only giving Kobe 2006 and maybe 2007... definitely not 2008.

Solid list though. Real solid. Nice job.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: In 1975 back when players voted for MVP...a guy named Mike Bantom....

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    0 decisions that make me go wtf?

Shaquille O'Neal has 1 MVP award. Just since the year 2000... I go WTF over the following years... 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011.
    by 0 wtf decisions i mean decisions with absolutely no justification.

You can justify that Iverson deserved it in 2001 and duncan the 2 years after.

Dunking on everybody in the park Suckafree's Avatar

Maybe send 2 representatives from each franchise to a meeting/conference at the end of the regular season. Either Gm's, Assistant GM's, Coaches/Assistants, scouts and even statisticians. Make it so that their is at least 60-70 voters as a whole.

They all sit around for a day or two and discuss/vote on every award. All NBA teams, dpoy, mip, mvp etc.

I'm not sure what incentive the league would put in place to make coaches and GM's actually care about attending these meetings but you'd have to make it worth their while.

Edit: I could see conflicts of interests occuring somehow though. Say, one GM says "you give player X your fist place vote and ill slide you a 2nd round draft pick at the deadline". I dunno, something like that.
    Last edited by Suckafree; 05-28-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    I'm going to have to agree with you except I'm only giving Kobe 2006 and maybe 2007... definitely not 2008.

Solid list though. Real solid. Nice job.
    Thanks. Who would you give '08 to? Chris Paul? LeBron?

08 its a toss up between KOBE or Paul. There is no way Lebrons win it.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Either or but probably LeBron.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I was trying to figure out where else id heard of this guy and I stumbled over an old ISH article.

Apparently Mike Bantom is now one of the most powerful people in basketball just from behind the scenes. Hes the VP in charge of the refs and the same for player development after he got a promotion from running international marketing.

Hes gonna go from stealing the least deserved MVP votes ever to the first black commissioner in like 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    So you're saying Lebron failed to win a title in 09 & 10 when he had the best team? And Kobe won 2 FMVPS without having the best team in the league?

Never thought of it like that
    Its a regular season award, so obviously it rewards the statistically best regular season team....

gosh you guys... its like explaining simple logic to 10 year olds

MVP is worthless, get over it.

[COLOR=Teal]25% stats
    25% team record
    25% coaches/GM voting
    10% players voting
    10% media voting
    5% NBA.Com poll

[/COLOR]

Basketball Genius

the players value is often evaluated by how great his team is because it's hard to argue that someone is a valuable player on a below .500 team. it can work both ways as well, it's hard to say which player is valuable if your team is stacked with talent, but at the same time however, an mvp is evaluated on what they bring to the table for their team. when derrick rose won it in 2011, he was top 10 in ppg and assists across the entire league and as a result they won 66 games.

it's a regular season award, yet people love factoring in the playoffs and other things that dont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by sbw19
    [COLOR=Teal]25% stats
    25% team record
    25% coaches/GM voting
    10% players voting
    10% media voting
    5% NBA.Com poll

[/COLOR]
    Fan vote should NEVER even be close to a part of the MVP vote. It'd just be a contest between all the Kobe fans and LeBron fans in the world to see who could get the most of their fanbase to vote, and that player would get 5%. Those are, by far, the two most popular NBA players in the world, so if they were on the ballot they would win. And, let's say it was a year like this year where Kobe wouldn't have made the ballot because he wasn't worthy, then LeBron would automatically win that 5% of the vote...every time.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Fan vote should NEVER even be close to a part of the MVP vote. It'd just be a contest between all the Kobe fans and LeBron fans in the world to see who could get the most of their fanbase to vote, and that player would get 5%. Those are, by far, the two most popular NBA players in the world, so if they were on the ballot they would win. And, let's say it was a year like this year where Kobe wouldn't have made the ballot because he wasn't worthy, then LeBron would automatically win that 5% of the vote...every time.
    It's 5% not 51%. Moron.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    It's 5% not 51%. Moron.

Right, and 5% of the total vote wouldn't be significant some years.

And I'm the moron.

College superstar

I would just set some guidelines, and make them public. These are not examples of guidelines I would choose, but something like: Player must be from a playoff team. Prefer someone from a top 3-5 team, but a great story in the 6-10 range would suffice. Must average at least 20ppg. etc etc. Just legit, open, guidelines.