Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Default one of the most honest discussions about Kobe I've ever heard

Its really too bad ISH can't even come close to approaching this. I think its a maturity thing. Bill Simmons and Matthew Berry really do this Kobe subject justice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2864045

Default Re: one of the most honest discussions about Kobe I've ever heard

Bill Simmons???.....Thread/

Quote Originally Posted by branslowski
    Bill Simmons???.....Thread/
    Matthew Berry == DIE HARD Lakers fan. I said it was an honest conversation dinkus. Maybe you should listen to it first.

<thread>

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    Matthew Berry == DIE HARD Lakers fan. I said it was an honest conversation dinkus. Maybe you should listen to it first.

<thread>
    To be fair you have to understand, Simmons has been kind of cringeworthy in the past, just trying way too hard to break down any accomplishment by Kobe. It doesn't help that he has this whiny/nasaly voice.

BUT, I'm listening right now and it's been pretty good so far. Bout 30 minutes in.

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmill
    To be fair you have to understand, Simmons has been kind of cringeworthy in the past, just trying way too hard to break down any accomplishment by Kobe. It doesn't help that he has this whiny/nasaly voice.

BUT, I'm listening right now and it's been pretty good so far. Bout 30 minutes in.
    Simmons lists Kobe as a top 15 player of all time and has stated in many of his articles that Kobe will be top 10 if leads LA to the title this season (which I agree on). He is much better then tools on ESPN like Jemele Hill and Hollinger and is one of the few credible ESPN writers still out there IMO.

I will give this a chance only because of your recommendation. If it sucks I am ripping down my indiefan23 posters and binning my indiefan23 throwback.

You have been warned.

Bill Simmons is a Boston homer. He's been hating on Kobe and the Lakers forever. He has no sense of objectivity. I would never click on that link.

Bill Simmons rationally talking about a Laker player? Someone is going to have to give me a recap... Unbelieveable.

i kinda enjoy his writing but the Celtics' homerism is hard to get past being a LA fan and all.

Typical Laker fans. Only wants to listen to people that they agree with. I don't always agree with Simmons but I find him to be one of the best sports writers out there. He has given Kobe a lot of crap but he has also praised him when he's done well. I think what Laker fans don't like about Simmons is that most of his crticism of Kobe has been accurate.

It's a shame that most Laker fans would rather listen to Vic the Brick than Bill Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by jmill

Ya know, Kobe fan or not, you have to admit there is a whole lot to criticize him for. Kobe is controversial and polarizing for a reason. Simmons knows the league better then almost anyone and yea, he's not a fan of Kobe, but you have to respect him. If you listen to him and Berry break down Kobe here I don't think you can really say that even if a little bias, he's not being totally fair.

I flat out have 0 respect for anyone who writes off Bill Simmons. He's a bit of a genius in his own right and an unquestioned pioneer. Has anyone ever really accomplished the things he has or gained the influence he has as a sports columnist?

Quote Originally Posted by 32MJ32
    I will give this a chance only because of your recommendation. If it sucks I am ripping down my indiefan23 posters and binning my indiefan23 throwback.

You have been warned.
    I think I'm throwing out the indiefan23 certificate of authenticity. I'd be shocked if you didn't like this discussion. I've never heard a more fair conversation about Kobe in my life. Totally balanced between two homers balancing each other to find the common reality between the extremes.

'n when you listen to Bill talk about Jack at the Laker games, you'll start to realize that he's much more of a fan of the Lakers and a pure fan of the game then you think. Its almost... touching, to be gay about it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    i kinda enjoy his writing but the Celtics' homerism is hard to get past being a LA fan and all.
    Yea, that's fair enough huh. I like JA Adande, however his latest puff piece on the Lakers made me throw up in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    Bill Simmons is a Boston homer. He's been hating on Kobe and the Lakers forever. He has no sense of objectivity. I would never click on that link.
    You mean like, he'd make his mind up about someone before seeing/listening to them? Yea I HATE people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    You mean like, he'd make his mind up about someone before seeing/listening to them? Yea I HATE people like that.
    I used to read his articles but he turned out to be a terrible columnist. He admitted that he is a Boston homer...that's reason enough for me to boycott his stuff.