Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore Round Robin's Avatar

Default Re: What The Hell Happened To Keith Van Horn???

Quote Originally Posted by new noise
    He was picked #2 overall right after Duncan too, wasn't he? What was his potential supposed to be at that time?
    From what I remember, people were mixed about him a bit. If i remember right he was coming off a great NCAA run where he lead Utah to the NCAA Championship game against Kentucky, losing like 78-69 or something...Some people loved the fact that he was a big guy with range but others thought something was missing with him. He had some good seasons but didnt seem to fully achieve the potential that some had for him. Still, he had a nice career overall, i wonder what he's up to exactly these days

madvillain

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    He's only young once. Keep playing and make the cash. You have the whole offseason to spend time with your family...... He can play another five years and call it a career.
    He had a pretty massive salary the last few years of his career, so I doubt cash is or ever will be a concern. And really, there's something to be said about a guy who's willing to give up life as a highly paid pro athlete to chill with his family. I commend the guy.

How often do we hear things like that as opposed to Shaq's divorce, Kidd slapping his wife around, guys being convicted of rape, etc?

On a side note, one of my favorite things to do in Live 06 was starting a Mavs dynasty and trading away KVH's huge contract to a team with major cap space for draft picks and cheap young players.
    Last edited by new noise; 11-12-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Serious playground baller Wicked_1's Avatar

I still find it hard to believe that Mike Doleac (his teamate at Utah) lasted longer than he did in the league! They use to say KVH was the next larry bird just like Wally szerbiak lol.

The thing i remember about vanhorn was his coaches were always complaining that he wasn't playing with passion or heart in teh last couple years he was in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    actually, the Mavs still hold his bird rights so they could theoretically sign him to a one year deal at any salary needed to balance out finances in a trade and the team that receives him could simply cut him and let the salary fall off at the end of the year.

I miss Van Horn. Good player. Very good shooting big man, though a bit soft in the paint and injury prone. Still a solid rebounder and made a good career for himself.

Not airballing my layups anymore prodigyjazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Round Robin
    From what I remember, people were mixed about him a bit. If i remember right he was coming off a great NCAA run where he lead Utah to the NCAA Championship game against Kentucky, losing like 78-69 or something...Some people loved the fact that he was a big guy with range but others thought something was missing with him. He had some good seasons but didnt seem to fully achieve the potential that some had for him. Still, he had a nice career overall, i wonder what he's up to exactly these days
    He wasn't a part of the run to the championship game as I believe he went to the pro's the year before that. He was a hell of a college player though, I remember him hitting back 2 back GW in a conference tournament, crazy.

A Van Horn tidbit.....

I remember a team being enamored with him after during a pre-draft workout he shot a 3 pointer, ran, caught it in mid air and dunked it.

NBA Superstar

My enduring memory of Keith Van Horn is the buzzer beater he hit against New Mexico back in '97. I remember him just standing limply with his hands in the air and his eyes closed, being pushed and pulled all about by his teammates. It looked like he was having an out of body experience.

At the 1:34 mark:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8E31Gt5n5k

He got sick of being traded again and again, and he retired.

Really, the Knicks should have kept him during the Marbury years because they actually worked well together on the court. The Knicks made the playoffs the only year of the Marbury era when Van Horn played that year.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan

Really, the Knicks should have kept him during the Marbury years because they actually worked well together on the court. The Knicks made the playoffs the only year of the Marbury era when Van Horn played that year.
    Isiah hated him cause he's white.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan

He was traded twice for Tim Thomas

Van Horn was a good player. Especially when he played for the Nets. Great shooter and a solid rebounder. Very underrated PF.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I remember him as being very good in college. He had a few very good years in the pros, but had injury issues and was never the same. *Puff* than like many players he disappeared.

Dunking on everybody in the park

i heard he became the new big foot.
    Gasol will do the same once his run with the Lakers end, he already have the looks

NBA Superstar

One time, he dunked on Etan Thomas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVI6zBntKmo