Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tristan Thompson- Tell me about this guy.

Haven't been really on top of my NBA game for a few years now. (Which sucks because KB is about to retire. But anyway) for a few reasons. Work and School, basically.

So, long story short, tell me about Tristan?

How good is this guy? I haven't seen much. Post game? Foot work? Seems like he's just a garbage points kinda guy. Lives off Offensive rebounds and dump offs that leave him spoon fed.
    Does this guy have potential to be a legit scoring option?

Defensively? Good shot blocker? Man to man defense?

Guy seems to be playing well against the Hawks.

Default Re: Tristan Thompson- Tell me about this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    Haven't been really on top of my NBA game for a few years now. (Which sucks because KB is about to retire. But anyway) for a few reasons. Work and School, basically.

So, long story short, tell me about Tristan?

How good is this guy? I haven't seen much. Post game? Foot work? Seems like he's just a garbage points kinda guy. Lives off Offensive rebounds and dump offs that leave him spoon fed.
    Does this guy have potential to be a legit scoring option?

Defensively? Good shot blocker? Man to man defense?

Guy seems to be playing well against the Hawks.
    Rudimentary post-game (simple drop step or crab dribble to the middle hooks with either hand...)
    Zero potential to ever be a legit scoring option. He's a reliable lob catcher and putback scorer who only rarely should be fed the ball and expected to create a way to score against his man.

Defensively gives energy, but he's only 6-8 with a 7-2 wingspan those are solid measurements for a PF but not scary ones by any means as far as rim protecting and shot blocking goes. He's got a decent vertical so he can get you a block or two in a game but like I said, nothing scary.

His gift is his rebounding and motor he's always ready to play 110% be it off the bench or starting, and his willingness to take and deliver all the punishment that comes with fighting for rebounds. Will relentlessly chase rebounds and get in scrums boxing out. He outworks the opposing teams front court on rebounds. Sometimes he won't even go back up on an offensive board, he's happy just getting it and kicking it back out to let someone else shoot.

He's got lots of room to improve other areas of his game. The only thing he's "great" at relative to the rest of the league at the present moment is his energy that he brings and his rebounding.

Best offensive rebounder in the game probably. Dont care about numbers.

Man to man defense is fine, good even. Can switch onto guards pretty well, though maybe not as well as the Cavs think. Doesnt have a lot of length or height but is a good leaper so the Cavs put him at center to protect the rim. He cant do it consistently, moreso from physical limitations so they went out and got Mozgov. But Blatt prefers him at center so he eats Moz's minutes. Nobody is questioning that now.

Cant shoot at all as he just decided he was right hand dominant in an offseason. Can catch alley oops(top of the league), but you cant rely on him to do much else.

High School Starter

surprised he actually has some moves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy4bU7GdQaI

Okay, so I'm looking at a SUPER Sub or potential Starter on a Chmapionship team, SO LONG as he's with GREAT talent.

Got it.

He does look really confident out there.

Another question. Is he worth more than the 4 Yr/ 52 Mil that he Turned down?

Okay, so I'm looking at a SUPER Sub or potential Starter on a Chmapionship team, SO LONG as he's with GREAT talent.

Got it.

A really good energy guy basically.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Got it.

ur the GM for the pistons arn't you?

NBA Superstar

He is perfect for this era of NBA ball.

Defends and runs the pick and roll as good as anyone, and that alone makes him a very useful player in this league.

He also rebounds above average at the 4 and is one of the best offensive rebounders in the game.

His physical metrics are good, he is athletic and plays within his ability.

Guys like him are hard to come by (hardworking, humble, team oriented, willing to do the dirty work) and extremely valuable in the playoffs. I think the Chicago series goes longer if Love plays more, Thompson absolutely owned them inside.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

if he meets AMC30 off a switch hes gonna find himself on his ass real quick

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

think of an athletic Reggie Evans

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Could not have been more wrong about this dude. What a player and what a great fit on this team.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Basically Thompson is a rich man's Bill Russell. If he played back then he would be a better version of Russell. If Russell played today he would be a worse version of Thompson.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

much better defender than people including cavs fans give him credit for. The notion that he's "just ok" or even bad is bizarre. He's an excellent defender.

I know there was a lot of BS talk about advanced stats say this and that, but he damn near led the league in FGA near the basket which indicates that he didn't let opposing bigs get position and/or forced a lot of passes out of isolation situations against him. IMO he's one of the best big man defenders switching out on guards in the league. People who wanna talk and say he's "just ok" just don't watch him. I've seen literally every single NBA game the guy has played in. He's a monster on the defensive end.

he's also not 6'8'' anymore, he grew since he was drafted.

He has no ego. Didn't piss and moan one bit when he got moved to the bench.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

He is like Draymond Green but without a shot and with better rebounding.

NBA Finals

Tristan "Gimmealldamother****ingRebounds" Thompson