Local High School Star

Default How many guys can dunk in your local court (10 ft) in games?

i've never seen one pulled down in a streetball court in games.

Of course there are a few dunkers in my local court, they can dunk in practice on legit rims. Best hops was this 5'9 guy who can absolutely jump and dunk two handed. I call him mini vince carter. But never seen he pull off any variety, never ever saw him dunk in games though he really got up very high at times.

My friend ever told me he had a friend back then who was 5'9 and can pull off an eastbay (After like 10 tries though ). He said that guy was the best of best hops he had ever witnessed, and he could dunk a simple two handed barely with any effort...He also said that guy did a tip-in dunk in game and hung on the rim to win a prop bet.

Anyway never actually witnessed an in-game dunk (Aside from professional games), is the court I play weak or what?

Edit: Sorry was meant for streetball forum but accidentally posted here
    Last edited by tgan3; 06-11-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Serious playground baller

Default Re: How many guys can dunk in your local court (10 ft) in games?

Na its rare for people to dunk in game on pickup. Pretty much the only time I see it is when the game is really uptempo with lazy defense and people get the ball in the wide open court or by cherry picking.

Other than guys who are like 6'5+ its really rare to see a dunk in the halfcourt game when the d is set up.

NBA rookie of the year

Had my first in game dunk when I was close to 16 years old, dunked for the first time when I was early 15.

I'm 6'7 though so dunking is not really a big deal.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

I used to dunk on people every so often. The reason people don't dunk in games, is because the hoops you're playing on aren't always going to take that kind of wear and tear. Unless you have some big budget gym someplace, don't worry about dunking in games. OOOOhh, ahhh.. big whoop.

Not me but there have been a few guys who play with us that would dunk in games and on people. They played college and are 6'5+ though. When I was in high school I used to play with a guy who was 5'9 and dunked in pickup games.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I've got probably 10 pickup game dunks in my career. And 1 in a HS summer league game. It still irks me that I never got one in a real game.

When I was playing as a kid in middle and HS, we'd get a serious run all day every Saturday with guys who were really top flight former HS players, some who played in college, and guys just out of college. We'd probaby get a dunk every Saturday on average. Maybe a little more than that. That was some great run. Such a long time ago.

In pick-up games: almost never.
    Summer league games: Pretty often, probably a handful every night.

The summer league that I've played in before usually has some pretty serious competition so dunking isn't rare. Top former HS players, college players home for the summer, and even former Pitt players will play in it. For example the one team a couple years ago had Chevy Troutman, Julius Page, and Yuri Demetris on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    In pick-up games: almost never.
    Summer league games: Pretty often, probably a handful every night.

The summer league that I've played in before usually has some pretty serious competition so dunking isn't rare. Top former HS players, college players home for the summer, and even former Pitt players will play in it. For example the one team a couple years ago had Chevy Troutman, Julius Page, and Yuri Demetris on it.

Does Julius Page play with a patch over his eye?

NBA Superstar

The responses surprise me thus far. My "home" streetcourt is not in a basketball hub by any means, but in-game dunks are still something that happens with regularity. I mean, I guess it depends on the night and who's there but when it's a normal showing, there's at least a few out there who are in-game dunking threats.

To get to the question though, I can in fact dunk at my local court in games. I love dunking so on one hand, each in-game flush is special. But on the other hand, it's happened a ton over the years, so there's a slight sense of normalcy there.

In terms of average street players, I'm probably in a good spot because I'm tall enough to not need super special situations to flush (I'm 6'3'') but I'm also short enough to not be awkward and slow. I don't frequently dunk in half court situations, but I'm usually able to carve out a fair amount of transition opportunities where I'm able to get a chance to elevate (filling lanes, catching outlets and attacking, creating turnovers). I know a fair amount of fellows who can dunk easily (and often better than me) but their in-game opportunities are limited due to their playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I've got probably 10 pickup game dunks in my career. And 1 in a HS summer league game. It still irks me that I never got one in a real game.
    For some reason, I pictured you being taller, like 6'7''. Don't know where that came from.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-14-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I touched the rim once... Never dunked... Im between 1.72 and 1.75 meters.

Does Julius Page play with a patch over his eye?
    No. Where did you get that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    No. Where did you get that idea?

I apologize. I was thinking of Victor Page, AI's backcourt mate at Georgetown. Who does in fact play with an eye patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    The responses surprise me thus far. My "home" streetcourt is not in a basketball hub by any means, but in-game dunks are still something that happens with regularity. I mean, I guess it depends on the night and who's there but when it's a normal showing, there's at least a few out there who are in-game dunking threats.

To get to the question though, I can in fact dunk at my local court in games. I love dunking so on one hand, each in-game flush is special. But on the other hand, it's happened a ton over the years, so there's a slight sense of normalcy there.

In terms of average street players, I'm probably in a good spot because I'm tall enough to not need super special situations to flush (I'm 6'3'') but I'm also short enough to not be awkward and slow. I don't frequently dunk in half court situations, but I'm usually able to carve out a fair amount of transition opportunities where I'm able to get a chance to elevate (filling lanes, catching outlets and attacking, creating turnovers). I know a fair amount of fellows who can dunk easily (and often better than me) but their in-game opportunities are limited due to their playing style.

For some reason, I pictured you being taller, like 6'7''. Don't know where that came from.

I wish. I'm just a shade under six foot. I played at about 190 lbs in Hs, and 210 or so in college. I'm about 230 right now, but I'm 36 and have no achilles.

I wish. I'm just a shade under six foot. I played at about 190 lbs in Hs, and 210 or so in college. I'm about 230 right now, but I'm 36 and have no achilles.

Yeah there was a short period of time years back where I thought I was going to be able to pull one off. I could never do it just messing around but in games on fast breaks there were times I had my wrist above the rim. That was a few ankle rolls ago though and now with very little flexibility in my ankles at the age of 34 I think my window has past. I try to stay close to the ground to keep from rolling my ankles again. Don't think they can take much more