Love Live Life

Default Has anyone tried the Ektio breakaways or any Ektio shoes?

I was wondering if these shoes actually prevent sprains and ankle rolls. I just ordered some but I haven't had a chance to hoop in them yet due to my new born.

Serious playground baller

Default Re: Has anyone tried the Ektio breakaways or any Ektio shoes?

They make me a little nervous. Watch the video of Kevin Ware going down and see how much his ankle gives. If you prevent an ankle roll then the impact is just going to move up to the next weakest point.

Let us know how they feel though, they look pretty heavy.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    They make me a little nervous. Watch the video of Kevin Ware going down and see how much his ankle gives. If you prevent an ankle roll then the impact is just going to move up to the next weakest point.

Let us know how they feel though, they look pretty heavy.

I understand what you saying but that Ware incident was a freak injury. Wouldn't ankle braces cause other injuries too since they restrict movement of the ankle? They said on their website that it doesn't cause other injuries but I haven't yet to play in them. The shoes are fairly light. But I prefer heavier shoes similar to old school bball shoes than some of the new light ones. I feel like light shoes don't provide support because of less material. I'll let you know about the shoes when I play in them though

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    I understand what you saying but that Ware incident was a freak injury. Wouldn't ankle braces cause other injuries too since they restrict movement of the ankle? They said on their website that it doesn't cause other injuries but I haven't yet to play in them. The shoes are fairly light. But I prefer heavier shoes similar to old school bball shoes than some of the new light ones. I feel like light shoes don't provide support because of less material. I'll let you know about the shoes when I play in them though

Braces definitely cause injuries, here are a few good reads

http://blog.strongerteam.com/post/20...le-Braces.aspx

The reviews on them look really good though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKAFIDVixI

My biggest concern is when I roll my ankle I usually do it by coming down at an angle. In the video the review said there is no possible way of an ankle roll but when I come down like that somethings got to give

http://www.ihoops.com/training-room/...e-Mobility.htm
    Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 04-12-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Rip Samurai Swoosh L8kersfan222's Avatar

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Braces definitely cause injuries, here are a few good reads

http://blog.strongerteam.com/post/20...le-Braces.aspx

The reviews on them look really good though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKAFIDVixI

My biggest concern is when I roll my ankle I usually do it by coming down at an angle. In the video the review said there is no possible way of an ankle roll but when I come down like that somethings got to give

http://www.ihoops.com/training-room/...e-Mobility.htm

Yeah I seen that review. I did a shoot around today with them on and they feel weird at first but gets better after awhile of running. Then they feel really comfortable it feels similar to a brace but it doesn't hurt my feet like braces do. I still feel somewhat skeptical and paranoid while wearing them but it does seem hard to roll my ankle because of those bumpers on the side. I don't really know about coming down on somebody's foot and you are right something does have to give but I guess the same could be said for braces also. I was actually thinking about returning them but I said I would wait til I actually play a pickup game to see first. It does feel like I have more balance though.

CP3&BG&JxOVER&DJ&MB&JJ beastmode's Avatar

no ones buying these

Good college starter

I've been thinkig about gettig me some. I'll getting close to 30 and I'm not as durable as I used to be lol. If I buy some I will post a review.

Saw a basketball once

Thumbs up Re: Has anyone tried the Ektio breakaways or any Ektio shoes?

I play in the Ektio Wraptors. These are wonderful shoes. Great support and very stable. Yet not restrictive or heavy. Wonderful traction and overall performance. Best shoes that I have played in. I am looking forward to getting a pair of the new Breakaways.

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    I've been thinkig about gettig me some. I'll getting close to 30 and I'm not as durable as I used to be lol. If I buy some I will post a review.

I'm 34 and can see the day when I show up to the gym in knee wraps and ankle braces lol. For me knee wraps may be the key to wearing something like these shoes. When it comes down to it I'd rather roll and ankle than damage my knee but at the same time I'm not sure how many more rolls my ankles can take. They are in pretty bad shape at this point

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

for those who have worn them, do they run true to fit, or are they about half a size small. I honestly injure either my right or left ankle once a month, with braces. Might as well give these a go.

im looking at the breakaways

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

got my pair a couple days ago. so for those of you with doubts or questions about them, a quick little review:

i went .5 size up, and the shoe fits GREAT. in pictures it looks a bit bulky, and even in your hand, the bumpers make the shoe look sort of big, but once you put it on, it honestly fits like a glove. theres no limitation of movement in your ankles besides the fact that the bumpers only allow you to turn it about 20 degrees(its supposedly 50 degrees in order to sprain/roll it) Amazing traction, and the soles/insoles almost feel like a cushion

the design leaves something to be desired. and if i didnt have stephen curry ankles, id still be rocking nikes. but for any of you with chronically weak ankles who HAVE to wear ankle braces for even a light shoot around, these shoes are for you.

the first day i tried them was about 5 days after my most recent ankle sprain, and that ankle was still sort of weak. i put the shoes on, and it felt at full strength. i was jumping off my right foot on drives like nothing. i was honestly thrilled because its been a while since i felt that much strength in an ankle.

Saw a basketball once

I wore Ektio Breakaways for our spring league this year. I own a sneaker shop and was looking at the possibility of carrying them.

From a performance standpoint they are quite good. Great ankle support/lockdown, not nearly as heavy as they look, and the materials are great. I would recommend at least .5 size bigger, they do run tight, and that's compared to my lebron x's, which are known to run tight.

I had the same concerns with the idea of if the ankle is strapped up, injury will happen to the next weakest point. My thought here is that if it was a bad enough situation, terrible things are going to happen regardless. If you're coming down awkwardly, i think these would just give you more time to realize and adjust so you can just collapse as opposed to trying to stick a bad landing.

With that said, I ended up going back to my Lebron X's. Better overall foot support for the way i play. 6'7 220 lbs, not very graceful, the full length air unit saves my feet and knees.

But i would highly recommend Ektio for people with chronic ankle issues. Id be carrying them in my store if i could work around the terrible US -> Canada duty fees.