Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain new 12 minutes of unseen footage

No, my "uncoordinated" statement was in response to a path I thought you were going down when you referenced "today's training" methods.

Not saying Wilt was uncoordinated, just saying he stood out athletically due to his competition which was full of unathletic uncoordinated players.

When Wilt played against more athletic coordinated players (though he was older) he doesn't look quite as legendary as he did against players (mostly white) in the 60's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQDipb-uSI

His only athletic opponent in the 60's was 11 rings Russell.

In before jlauber comes to Wilt's rescue, busting down his knowledge.

Local High School Star

Quite amazing video. Wilt's physical gifts were truly remarkable.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by PTB Fan
    Quite amazing video. Wilt's physical gifts were truly remarkable.
    So was his competition.
    Best era of basketball ever!

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    No, my "uncoordinated" statement was in response to a path I thought you were going down when you referenced "today's training" methods.

Not saying Wilt was uncoordinated, just saying he stood out athletically due to his competition which was full of unathletic uncoordinated players.

When Wilt played against more athletic coordinated players (though he was older) he doesn't look quite as legendary as he did against players (mostly white) in the 60's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQDipb-uSI

His only athletic opponent in the 60's was 11 rings Russell.
    I never mentioned 'uncoordinated' in any previous post, so not sure what that's all about.

Wilt was a legit 7"1 and close to 300 in his heyday, a high jumper, and reportedly benchpressed in the region of 550 pounds. Hell he was benching 400+ at 60. Regardless of his competition then, those physical attributes just taken on their own merits still put him above just about anyone playing today.

College superstar

Not knocking any of the OG's accomplishments but seriously dude, those guys dribbled hunched-backed w/ one hand and would literally spin in a circle to continue going to their strong hand due to the lack of skill.

There were only a few exceptions at that time at any position skill-wise and I acknowledge Wilt as being one of them but my stance is still the same.

Very good player who actually didn't win anything until he got w/ Goodrich, Baylor, and West who would be a very good player today but not the same impact as back then.

BTW training only enhances what you are born w/ you don't become "uncoordinated" just by lifting weights/ training, you either are born well balanced and amplify those traits as you grow or either you're not.

Simple as that.
    You might want to look into the 1967 76ers.

As for Wilt being mediocre in this era (like Hibbert), just know that you're also saying Hibbert would be able to do well against Kareem and even occasionally do better than him...oh yes, and that would be after he's 38 yrs old and has a surgically repaired knee. Not sure many people would agree with that.
    Last edited by Dbrog; 10-25-2011 at 02:18 PM.

None of those highligts makes me feel like he was as powerful, strong or high jumper as many claim him to be. I seen more impressive dunks by guys like Jermaine Oneal, Kenyon Martin, Stromile Swift, etc. LOL at anyone who thinks he has a vert in the 40+ inches

Banned

Was that Isaac Hayes doing the commentary? FANTASTIC

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    So was his competition.
    Best era of basketball ever!

In the video, mostly in the beginning, he had no competition but in the NBA, he did.

The more footage of Wilt's exploits is revealed, the more you'll hear some (the usual "some") talk about the competition or with secondary things, like quality of dunks (obviously with extreme doses of exaggeration - btw, yeah, unlike Wilt, we all remember how great competition LeBron had to face in HS, blowing and dunking on midget kids you'll never hear about and most of them wonn't ever again seriously deal with basketball in their lives, as well as the "monsters" Lew Alcindor faced when he was a high schooler). Which makes it clear that it's becoming increasingly harder for them to focus on Wilt himself. Typical example:

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    None of those highligts makes me feel like he was as powerful, strong or high jumper as many claim him to be. I seen more impressive dunks by guys like Jermaine Oneal, Kenyon Martin, Stromile Swift, etc. LOL at anyone who thinks he has a vert in the 40+ inches
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXOROFtrM4#t=50s

Any sane person with no problems with his vision who doesn't call this a very good jump is just trolling. But, wait, this doesn't count, he only blocked a 5'5 guy (he has to be 5'5)! According to the math and logic of ISH, when you block whiter or shorter guys than you, everything about you will have to be negatively adjusted, including your vertical. 35 inches against whites = 25 inches against blacks! Or maybe it's the angle, I'm pretty sure if we actually counted the leap, Wilt's hand barely was above rim level!

On a more serious note, give me a break about the "more impressive dunks" being such an important evidence of athleticism. The impressiveness of a dunk is largely depending on the available footage you have available to boost your own imagination. Many of today's dunks in today's dunk competitions are more impressive than the ones Dr.J, Wilkins and Jordan were pulling off 20-30 years ago. Does this make all of these dunkers better athletes than Dr.J, Wilkins and Jordan? "OMG, look at Kenyon Martin, how viciously he dunks, Wilt would NEVER be able to do this"! MMMkay, now call me back when Martin has an 82-game season. Or a season averaging a double-double. But if the great KMart coudn't do it, neither could Wilt, correct?

NBA rookie of the year

I liked the Wilt and Kareem TWA commercial in Psileas' link.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    You might want to look into the 1967 76ers.

As for Wilt being mediocre in this era (like Hibbert), just know that you're also saying Hibbert would be able to do well against Kareem and even occasionally do better than him...oh yes, and that would be after he's 38 yrs old and has a surgically repaired knee. Not sure many people would agree with that.
    Well....Hibbert ate Dwight Howard up ONE game so who's to say it's out of the question.

Also, why in the hell would Hibbert have to have the stipulation of having to be 38 w/ a surgically repaired knee? That was Wilt's burden to carry not Roy.

Btw you seem to be helping my case/ stance against Wilt by bringing up Kareem, a guy who Wilt said:

"For the 1st time in my life, I played against a guy that felt I needed to help to guard."

In other words he needed help guarding a tall athletic offensive-minded big, something he didn't face too much of early in his career when he was smashin' on midgets.

And LOL @ high jumping into a thin layer of hay (in Pslieas link)....wtf is that bullsh*t?

Oh btw props to the OP for the footage in the link.
    Last edited by WillyJakk; 10-25-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Btw you seem to be helping my case/ stance against Wilt by bringing up Kareem, a guy who Wilt said:

"For the 1st time in my life, I played against a guy that felt I needed to help to guard."

In other words he needed help guarding a tall athletic offensive-minded big, something he didn't face too much of early in his career when he was smashin' on midgets.
    No, in other words, he was sufficiently good not to need help when guarding Walt Bellamy, Willis Reed, Elvin Hayes, Nate Thurmond and Clyde Lovellette, none of who were anything close to midgets and all of who had offensive potential.

And LOL @ high jumping into a thin layer of hay (in Pslieas link)....wtf is that bullsh*t?
    Hmm, seems like we have a new adjustment standard now: A 35 inch vertical when jumping into a thin layer of hay = A 25 inch vertical when jumping into modern layers!

BTW, it's obvious that you didn't even see the original video, which is the same with the video I posted. However, I gave a link to the 0:50 mark of the video which shows Wilt jumping. A typical unimpressive jump again, right?