Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain new 12 minutes of unseen footage

Cool video. Thanks. The greatest or the greats will always get hate from people..that's why he is the greatest or a great, however you want to look at it.

If people can sit here and watch the footage of Wilt and come to the conclusion he wouldn't dominate today then they don't understand the Center position.

Wilt would dominate every Center on the earth right now. There just isn't one player with the physical profile to stop him on the planet. Not one player. Add that to the fact that he had a good feel for the post and solid fundamentals down there and you have a Center who would have MULTIPLES seasons over 30 ppg and prob multiple seasons at or above 15 rbg. The guy was a monster and if you watch the footage it is obvious.

If you transported Wilt from that era as he was then into this era, there isn't a center in the NBA who could do anything with him, including Dwight Howard. He'd be overall the most physically gifted center today, even if you don't take into account him having access to today's training advances.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

False.

Don't give me that crap about "if Wilt had access to today's training techniques etc".

Either guys are athletic or they're not, era has nothing to do w/ it.

Wilt was big, he was fairly quick (for his size) BUT Wilt was a lumberer and you can see it in any footage you watch of him whether he was younger or older.

Today he'd be the equal of a Roy Hibbert which ain't bad but really, he wouldn't be legendary.

He had an odd game w/ those twisted backhanded layup shots and would be effective w/ that and also dunking but seriously the guy offensively DID NOT attack the basket like a Shaq per se while defensively I think he'd be the equal of Andrew Bogut maybe.

He'd be a VERY GOOD player but not legendary, no shame in that.
    Last edited by WillyJakk; 10-25-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    False.

Don't give me that crap about "if Wilt had access to today's training techniques etc".

False. If we assume that the best players are born with a certain amount of god given athletic ability, that ability can only be enhanced through greater nutrition and advances in medical science and technology. How else would you explain why players are simply bigger, faster, jump higher, stronger than 50 years ago? Did humans evolve in a mere half century from Wilt's era, or are changes in diet, nutrition, and training designed to maximize one's athletic capabilities the culprit? If that's the case, then 'era' very much comes into the equation. Wilt 50 years ago was an athletic freak. Put him in today's game as he is, he's stronger and bigger than every current center in the league.

The reverse is also true, put today's freak athletes back in the 60's, and you'd see an athletic de-evolution. Lebron James wouldn't be the Lebron James we know, if he came along in Wilt's era. His athletic ability at best would be at the level of guys considered 'athletic' then, he certainly wouldn't be the freak we see today.

5-time NBA All-Star

False.

You don't think he's athletic? Regardless of era, nobody in the league is going to triple jump 50 feet which is five feet beyond the half court line if he starts out of bounds. I doubt anybody can high jump 6 feet. Or broadjump 17 feet? And he did all of this before his athletic peak without proper training.
    Wilt was big, he was fairly quick (for his size) BUT Wilt was a lumberer and you can see it in any footage you watch of him whether he was younger or older.
    Really. They played a pace faster than the Nash's Pheonix Suns before '1967. So you haven't even been reading these boards. In two clips below he outruns the fast break.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC3gTMJ5DIc

He had an odd game w/ those twisted backhanded layup shots and would be effective w/ that and also dunking but seriously the guy offensively DID NOT attack the basket like a Shaq per se while defensively I think he'd be the equal of Andrew Bogut maybe.
    You think a seven footer could average 40ppg over seven years without attacking the basket?

High School Varsity 6th Man NBAller's Avatar

Like I said in another thread (somebody negged me for this, will probably happen again) todays era of players>then. If you compare how they dribble, shoot,etc you would probably agree with me.

As you can see by this vid, Wilt was easily taller than everyone on the court. It's not hard to score, rebound, or block as the tallest man. I'm not taking away Wilts coordination, or athletic ability by saying this. Just saying, he'd have trouble with somebody like Yao, Shaq, Dwight, Ewing. He's also as skinny as Durant is in this video, and we all know what we want to see Durant do (hit the weights).

And as somebody already pointed out, rules have changed from then to now. some of those blocks in todays era would be goal tending.
    To me, he's not the best center that has played the game.

I can imagine at that time, seeing somebody so 'different' in terms of height and skill would be lead to believe he's the greatest guy to touch a basketball though. edit: "At that time, to see a guy dunk was amazing"........
    Last edited by NBAller; 10-25-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Friday
    12 minutes of Wilt dominating a bunch of 5'5 white dudes, what else is new?
    this

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease ClutchBucketz's Avatar

Wilt dominated what was potentially lesser competition sure but isn't that the reason why he isn't the undisputed GOAT? He's a big man with the talent/skill/athleticism that would have him amongst the best big men in the game currently.

Unbelievable specimen regardless of the time and competition.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Great...you post videos of Wilt in college playing against even sh*ttier competition than the stiffs he went onto face in the NBA.

Though unfortunately that's the way things were back then, you do realize how few men of color he faced during those days right?

Not knocking any of the OG's accomplishments but seriously dude, those guys dribbled hunched-backed w/ one hand and would literally spin in a circle to continue going to their strong hand due to the lack of skill.

There were only a few exceptions at that time at any position skill-wise and I acknowledge Wilt as being one of them but my stance is still the same.

Very good player who actually didn't win anything until he got w/ Goodrich, Baylor, and West who would be a very good player today but not the same impact as back then.

BTW training only enhances what you are born w/ you don't become "uncoordinated" just by lifting weights/ training, you either are born well balanced and amplify those traits as you grow or either you're not.

Simple as that.

High School Varsity 6th Man NBAller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchBucketz
    Wilt dominated what was potentially lesser competition sure but isn't that the reason why he isn't the undisputed GOAT? He's a big man with the talent/skill/athleticism that would have him amongst the best big men in the game currently.

Using that logic, wouldn't you think somebody just as tall and skilled that dominated better competition is better than Wilt?

edit: and even a more skilled bigman with skills for example like olajuwon.
    Last edited by NBAller; 10-25-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Wilt was big, he was fairly quick (for his size) [B
    BUT Wilt was a lumberer a[/B]nd you can see it in any footage you watch of him whether he was younger or older.

a "LUMBERER." He is lumbering now lol. Please watch this and get back to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB43A...eature=related

at 1:07 - watch that sprint and tell me that is lumbering. Sorry but they just don't make many 7 footers capable of that.

BTW training only enhances what you are born w/ you don't become "uncoordinated" just by lifting weights/ training, you either are born well balanced and amplify those traits as you grow or either you're not.
    are you implying that Wilt wasn't coordinated?

He's a big man with the talent/skill/athleticism that would have him amongst the best big men in the game currently.

this...people are acting like guys as athletic as Wilt are the norm. There are now 6"10 players in the world messin with Wilt athletically. Look at the big men today....lets be real
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 10-25-2011 at 12:42 PM.

thank you OP
    5 starred

Serious playground baller Fazotronic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24

Simple as that.
    Thank you for agreeing with my point. Training and enhancement....the greater the training methods and advancements, nutritional supplements, diet.... logically the greater the enhancement. Wilt is obviously born with god given physical gifts. If we agree that training does in fact ENHANCE what you already have naturally, then imagine a prime Wilt with 2011 training. This is why players today are more athletic than 50 years ago.