Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Do yall really think the sorriest player in the NBA would be a God if he played us?

Quote Originally Posted by sipitri
    There was a video on YT (I can't find it anymore) with Chris Andersen going against a fan (or a friend of his) in a gym.
    Threes were RAINING. He was hitting jumpers like Larry Bird, I was like:"Damn, I wonder why he's not shooting this kind of shots in nba games, he seem so comfortable from midrange".

If Chris andersen can look like Ray Allen I wonder what a player who can actually shoot like Fisher can do.
    Yeah, I thought about posting that earlier in this thread but held off because last time I did, some folks made fun of the guys he was playing against. His main opponent in that video is a 6'4''-6'5'' guy who seemed to be a pretty solid suburban basketball player for a small city (judging from a mixtape he put together of himself in high school games). Predictably, some folks here said the guy sucked and their own skills were way better so Andersen's video didn't really prove anything to them.

Either way, even if his opponent in this video is slow afoot, there's no denying Chris Andersen is taking one dribble from the three point line and reverse power dunking without actually truly beating his defender. And yes, he is dropping triples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3-Ds7-gAs

For what it's worth, the guy in the knee brace really has no interest in trying to stop Andersen. The main guy though, it seems he wanted Andersen to go as hard as he could and in turn, he tried to give Andersen all he had.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-22-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Default Re: Do yall really think the sorriest player in the NBA would be a God if he played us?

I played against several Division I guys and could hold my own, but then I'll never forget the day I played against the "rookie" Chris Webber....holy hell that shit was ridiculous...I never seen a guy that damn big, move that damn fast....strength was ridiculous, where normal guys are pulling up for jumpers, he's taking off and shitting on folks.....Lindsey Hunter, I'll just say thank god I didn't have to guard him, dude was lightning in a bottle. Tim Hardaway would play half ass and do basically anything he wanted, thick and strong...I remember Lindsey shook Hardaway and the people in the gym "oohed and aww'd" Then Tim let it be known why he was a all star...that crossover was ridiculous in person. Although, I didnt get a chance to play against him, Mike Bibby was destroying people left and right at open gym @ U of A, he crossed this guy up so damn bad, the dude didn't even move and just fell down...you had to see it... Michael Dickerson...just move out of that damn dudes way.....I could jump pretty good, use to be able to touch the top of square, but him and a guy named Mark McCall(UTEP) let me know what jumping really was...those dudes could flat out fly. All these experiences, just let me know that those dudes where a completely different level...... to any dude that can make the NBA

I've played against former D-leaguers and euro players, these dudes WERE NICE. I didn't get destroyed but these dudes were cold blooded man. I remember I was playing one on one with the former d-leaguer and he just took over at a certain point and I really couldnt do much after that. It went from being 5-5 to like 10-7 in no time. On the last point he had me looking silly.

A big factor is NBA players are so fundamentally sound compared to the average joe that they can do anything they want with the addition of size and speed.

Every NBA player's first step is gonna beat their defender.

el pollo loco siiiiiii

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    OP

I'm pretty confident that I can beat Steve Novak, Ilgauskas types off the dribble.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I'm pretty confident that I can beat Steve Novak, Ilgauskas types off the dribble.

i have a feeling i could take yao ming.

oh i definitely wouldn't be able to stop him on offense, but i know im quicker than that dude and would be able to get around him pretty quickly.

also i feel i could ball on that really fat dude that was playing for the raptors, who weighed in at like 310 pounds and said the scale was broken and was out of the league 2 years later. can't remember his name for the life of me.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

If its make it take it, you wouldn't get the chance too

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba
    i have a feeling i could take yao ming.

oh i definitely wouldn't be able to stop him on offense, but i know im quicker than that dude and would be able to get around him pretty quickly.

also i feel i could ball on that really fat dude that was playing for the raptors, who weighed in at like 310 pounds and said the scale was broken and was out of the league 2 years later. can't remember his name for the life of me.
    oliver miller?

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

When I was in my late teens/early 20s I regularly played against a bunch of guys who couldn't quite make the league or got cut from the NBA (guys like Dwayne McClain, Andre Moore, Adrian Branch) and they schooled everyone they played against. The gap between decent amateur to "sorry" pro is massive.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
    I hope you're facepalming at yourself. Any large HS/AAU level or higher guard who can't take a kneeless, 7'2 40-year-old off the dribble should probably hang up the sneakers.

Zydrunas is only in the league for his height at this point, and Novak has simply mastered the art of shooting the basketball. Does not make them Godly at every facet of the game.

They'd probably be more efficient than I in a team setting, though.
    Last edited by ace23; 05-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

NBA Superstar

I hope you're facepalming at yourself. Any large HS/AAU level or higher guard who can't take a kneeless, 7'2 40-year-old off the dribble should probably hang up the sneakers.

Zydrunas is only in the league for his height at this point, and Novak has simply mastered the art of shooting the basketball. Does not make them Godly at every facet of the game.

They'd probably be more efficient than me in a team setting, though.
    Even though they are slow afoot, players standing 7'3'' cover a lot of real estate, particularly if a game commences on an amateur-sized court (19'9'' three point line). On courts with those dimensions, plays often begin closer to the basket (folks strangely always use the three point line as a set-up point at all levels) and from there, even when beating Zydrunas off the dribble, he's always just about one giant step from recovering at the basket. It'd be a claustrophobic situation. Surely, Z's insane immobility right now in current day might create a strangely unique NBA player situation, but I still feel that'd open up only one weakness, and that'd be Ilgauskas' slim possibility of being completely blown by defensively. And that's what it'd have to be every time, a complete blow by, because if you're 6'5'' or under and only half get a step on Z, he's not going to let you get a clean shot off. . .because he's almost 7 and a half feet tall.

I don't put Steve Novak in the same category as Ilgauskas. Novak, for as slow as he seems against NBA players, would still surely be quick enough, in shape enough, strong enough, tall enough, and surely nasty enough offensively to combat anyone in a game of 1-on-1. There's not a strange, rare shortcoming (like Z's speed - which I still feel he'd make up for) that'd affect Novak against regular folk.

In terms of a full-game, I'm not sure a lot of people here are correctly accounting for the shape these players are in. If we were completely brutally honest with ourselves, how many of you guys honestly run the floor in every given situation of a pick-up game? Ever jog after a turnover when you're not right in the middle of the play? Ever chill in the backcourt once instead of running back on defense because the other team appears to have a fast break advantage? Are you always taking off in a sprint when your team snares a defensive rebound?

In my case, even when playing against low level Euro-players, it was a solid reality check to see firsthand how hard and how frequently real-deal players run the floor. They will run opponents into the ground and then keep going. I feel on top of everything else, Steve Novak would be ready to run at every given moment, converting layups, spot up triples, garbage points everywhere, etc.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-22-2012 at 11:45 AM.

I'd make Fisher my bitch.