Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default kobe talking about the reality of american basketball

I'm not a Kobe nor an LA fan but he has a lot of interesting things to say in this article.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ans-blames-aau

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Default Re: kobe talking about the reality of american basketball

thing is, for most of this season, he's been everything that's wrong with american basketball (not that there is much, in comparison to other places), which is the acceptance of chucking hero ball

he does have a point though, specially about the cash cowing aspect of the NBA prospects. They teach them stuff for short term dominance and much more emphasis is put in teaching fundamentals, regardless of position, here in europe.
    Last edited by SpanishACB; 01-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    thing is, for most of this season, he's been everything that's wrong with american basketball (not that there is much, in comparison to other places), which is the acceptance of chucking hero ball
    Agreed. This rookie class has also been a great example of what he's talking about. And look out for Mudiay because he's just worse. Dribble dribble dribble some more and then shoot.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

he does have a point though, specially about the cash cowing aspect of the NBA prospects. They teach them stuff for short term dominance and much more emphasis is put in teaching fundamentals, regardless of position, here in europe.

You sound like a baby back bitch.

I think he's strictly talking about fundamentals, and skills here. How you apply them into a TEAM setting is another thing entirely. In Kobe's case, self indulgence.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    I think he's strictly talking about fundamentals, and skills here. How you apply them into a TEAM setting is another thing entirely. In Kobe's case, self indulgence.
    Right on.

I have not been a fan of the AAU system since coming through it myself (more so after watching my brothers play as well). AAU is a weird and oftentimes creepy basketball outlet, where learning the game is very often secondary and "Where can I go?" and "What can this player do for me" become the primary concerns.

This line from Bryant was on point:

"AAU basketball," Bryant said. "Horrible, terrible AAU basketball. It's stupid. It doesn't teach our kids how to play the game at all so you wind up having players that are big and they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap and they don't know how to post. They don't know the fundamentals of the game. It's stupid."

well, he's partly right. American kids grow up relying so much on athlethicism and they come out of college very raw. you would expect they would at least come out of college trained in the fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy

You guys are so full of shit dude, if Kobe even has half a decent Teammate he's a willing passer. You guys just can't help yourselves trying to paint everything he does in a negative light.

I'm no stan , I know he gets tunnel vision and alienate his Teammates on the court if he feels they aren't playing up to snuff, but thats only when they shy away from the challenge or make low IQ plays, like Lin not fouling last night when they needed to stop the clock.

Give him the Cavs current roster, HOU, Hornets or even The Hawks and I bet he'll take them further than they'll go this year.

i agree european players > american born white players

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones

You guys are so full of shit dude, if Kobe even has half a decent Teammate he's a willing passer. You guys just can't help yourselves trying to paint everything he does in a negative light.

I'm no stan , I know he gets tunnel vision and alienate his Teammates on the court if he feels they aren't playing up to snuff, but thats only when they shy away from the challenge or make low IQ plays, like Lin not fouling last night when they needed to stop the clock.

Give him the Cavs current roster, HOU, Hornets or even The Hawks and I bet he'll take them further than they'll go this year.

Who you trying to kid besides yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo

Who you trying to kid besides yourself?
    Do you even know which Team you root for this week? I heard Lebald is gonna move on soon , so you better get your bandwagon ready, bitch.

Kobe has played better of late. If you were following my posts, which seems to be the case, I have said as much, even giving him props for his willingness to adjust.

Thing is, how Kobe is playing right now, should have been the way from jumpstreet. I agree that if you build a great team around him, he would flourish. Never said otherwise.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Yet Durant, WB, Wall, Melo, Lebron and the list goes on of AAU players who dominate the league. Fundamentals are nice, but USA shits on euroleague tournaments strictly on pure athleticism. If I wanted to watch fundamentals I would watch ivy league college ball. Post play though should be preached, our bigs should just tear the league to pieces. So that is a good call on his part.

College superstar

I'm no stan

Quote Originally Posted by beastee
    Yet Durant, WB, Wall, Melo, Lebron and the list goes on of AAU players who dominate the league. Fundamentals are nice, but USA shits on euroleague tournaments strictly on pure athleticism. If I wanted to watch fundamentals I would watch ivy league college ball. Post play though should be preached, our bigs should just tear the league to pieces. So that is a good call on his part.
    Except for the fact that the USA lost WCs and Olympic medals fielding teams with Melo, Pierce etc to inferior and less athletic players.

i think that you're missing the point. Watch Melo or Westbrook play. They are exciting and fun to watch but that kind of basketball isn't going to win you a championship. It's great that all those players you name dominate the league and yet San Antonio who has probably the least athletic team in the league is always one of the best and just won last year against a much more athletic team.
    Last edited by chocolatethunder; 01-03-2015 at 01:26 PM.