Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default Re: Has Jordan become overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    The thing is though, it's not just about the narrative/circumstances. He played the game at a higher level than everyone or almost everyone in league history, and had a consistently great prime. Dude straight beasted.
    but those arguments become moot when we comparing between eras and generations. he was the best of the 80s-90s crack and HIV epidemic descimated era of basketball yes

but how does that translate to 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    The new cool "hipster" thing is to hate on Jordan, so no he's not overrated by the majority of the sheeple.
    "hipsters"

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    but those arguments become moot when we comparing between eras and generations. he was the best of the 80s-90s crack and HIV epidemic descimated era of basketball yes

That's why we have message boards brah. It's all opinion.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY

You mean when he was 40 and still dropping 20 a night?

The only way Jordan is overrated is when his worshippers attempt to make the claim that he won all six of his championships with minimal help.

Absolutely has not become overrated. After watching players as good as Kobe and LeBron struggle and lose in the Finals, MJ looks even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    You mean when he was 40 and still dropping 20 a night?
    dropping 20 a night ballhogging his teams to a ton of losses on terrible efficiency I was there suffering through it

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Absolutely has not become overrated. After watching players as good as Kobe and LeBron struggle and lose in the Finals, MJ looks even better.
    Yeah people should look at the brick wall Kobe and LeBron have run into and actually realize that winning three titles in a row and having 5/6 incredible NBA Finals and one that was just "pretty good" is actually fairly f*cking incredible.

27.3/5.3 apg/4.7 rpg/1.7 spg is what qualifies as a "horrible" NBA Finals for Michael Jordan.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-13-2014 at 05:34 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    You can't think about it in terms of ppg though. Both were perhaps as good or better than MJ during his second threepeat, but during his prime (87-88 through 92-93), he had them beat in terms of shot selection, shooting ability from midrange, post game/strength, half court quickness, off ball play, athleticism, man defense, help defense, and clutch shooting. That isn't a myth.

I only caught the tale end of his prime, but he was dominating like peak Shaq or Hakeem did, and he's not a center.
    I don't think in terms of ppg. I was just using it as an example.

Imho Wade and Kobe were pretty close to MJ at their peaks. It's the truth. Obviously they were not as good, but they weren't scrubs either.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    His career has mythic qualities to it, why does that bother people?
    Seriously, get over it people. How can you be the GOAT, and overrated at the same time. People just sound salty about it. You have people claiming to be Bulls fans trying to throw shade at the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dc_chilling
    Let me start off by saying Michael Jordan is the GOAT imho. The point of this isn't to discredit anything he has done. However, as an objective basketball fan, I can't help but notice how MJ has become this mythological creature to some people.

The myth of MJ gets heightened whenever Kobe or Lebron get brought up especially. To discredit Kobe it was easy, just turn to the stats. For Lebron, the stats argument doesn't work as well. Rather, it has become an exercise of measuring things that can't be measured. Stupid shit like, "MJ would have never came out of a game with cramps" or "MJ's mental toughness would have forced him to overcome any team in any game".

The truth is, Jordan was human. I watched him struggle in the finals against the Sonics. He spent over 1/3 of his career without making it out of the first round with a combined record of 1-9 in the playoffs over that stretch. It is no coincidence that those were the years without Pippen btw. He had bad games, missed game winning shots (sometimes multiple in the same game), and was accused numerous times of being a bad teammate. He wasn't perfect. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.

So no, Jordan was not a god among men. People have become so obsessed with trying to protect his legacy that they discredit all great players that follow him. MJ is in his 50's, people should try to appreciate the greatness of the players playing today.

One last thing, enough with the 6 for 6 argument. It is just moronic. All that means is that in the 8 seasons Jordan didn't win a championship, he lost earlier in the playoffs. If a player goes 6 for 10 in the finals, it is far more impressive than 6 for 6. It isn't rocket science; the player that went 6 for 10 took his team further in the playoffs than the player that went 6 for 6 on four more occasions.

So again, MJ is the GOAT as of now. He just wasn't a god.
    I'm guessing you read this article from Sports Illustrated?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz34Svqkzff

Very good article btw

Imho Wade and Kobe were pretty close to MJ at their peaks. It's the truth. Obviously they were not as good, but they weren't scrubs either.
    I can't agree with that. Maybe relatively speaking, but peak MJ was another level of player. Only centers have matched that type of impact and production. Agree to disagree I guess, but Wade and Kobe were more like second threepeat MJ if anything in terms of level of play.

Other than the GOAT centers, maybe some others have come close to 88-93 Jordan (Duncan, KG, LeBron), but I didn't see it from Wade/Kobe (and I say that as a big fan of both).

NBA rookie of the year

Who said they were scrubs?

"Pretty close" is a relative term too. Clyde Drexler was "pretty close" to Michael Jordan in his prime, so were a number of players (albiet at other positions).

"Pretty close" can be the difference between 6 championships and 2 or 1 or 0.

The whole point of pro sports is to see who is the cream of the crop, who rises when the situation is the most gruelling.

Alonzo Mourning was "pretty good" but he's no Shaq. A BMW M5 is "pretty good" but its no Ferrari.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-13-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Honesty. From a Laker / Kobe fan no less.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Seriously, get over it people. How can you be the GOAT, and overrated at the same time. People just sound salty about it. You have people claiming to be Bulls fans trying to throw shade at the guy.
    I agree with his post, and your point in general, but YOU CAN be both overrated and great (or GOAT--some Jordan jockers claim Kareem isn't even on his level )

Bron and Kobe fans overrate their guy to no end on these boards..