Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Has Jordan become overrated?

Let me start off by saying Michael Jordan is the GOAT imho. The point of this isn't to discredit anything he has done. However, as an objective basketball fan, I can't help but notice how MJ has become this mythological creature to some people.

The myth of MJ gets heightened whenever Kobe or Lebron get brought up especially. To discredit Kobe it was easy, just turn to the stats. For Lebron, the stats argument doesn't work as well. Rather, it has become an exercise of measuring things that can't be measured. Stupid shit like, "MJ would have never came out of a game with cramps" or "MJ's mental toughness would have forced him to overcome any team in any game".

The truth is, Jordan was human. I watched him struggle in the finals against the Sonics. He spent over 1/3 of his career without making it out of the first round with a combined record of 1-9 in the playoffs over that stretch. It is no coincidence that those were the years without Pippen btw. He had bad games, missed game winning shots (sometimes multiple in the same game), and was accused numerous times of being a bad teammate. He wasn't perfect. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.

So no, Jordan was not a god among men. People have become so obsessed with trying to protect his legacy that they discredit all great players that follow him. MJ is in his 50's, people should try to appreciate the greatness of the players playing today.

One last thing, enough with the 6 for 6 argument. It is just moronic. All that means is that in the 8 seasons Jordan didn't win a championship, he lost earlier in the playoffs. If a player goes 6 for 10 in the finals, it is far more impressive than 6 for 6. It isn't rocket science; the player that went 6 for 10 took his team further in the playoffs than the player that went 6 for 6 on four more occasions.

So again, MJ is the GOAT as of now. He just wasn't a god.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Has Jordan become overrated?

His career has mythic qualities to it, why does that bother people?

Dude simply had a very special, storybook type of career that is fairly rare in sports.

Wayne Gretzky is maybe the only other modern comparable from a team sport, and even Gretzky didn't enjoy the team success the Bulls had in the second half of his career, after he was traded to LA he only made the finals once in his last 11 seasons.

There's no basketball player in NBA history that would've made those early Bulls teams decent anyway (lets see Magic work with Bill Corzine instead of Kareem), I would say more to the point the rest of the NBA was lucky that he didn't have a decent team sooner (which he probably would have if say Portland had drafted him instead of lol Sam Bowie).
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-13-2014 at 05:12 PM.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

The new cool "hipster" thing is to hate on Jordan, so no he's not overrated by the majority of the sheeple.

OP is a fakkit.

I rule the local playground returnofthemack's Avatar

Jordan is the goat. Most people rate him as goat. Therefore no he's not over rated

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    The new cool "hipster" thing is to hate on Jordan, so no he's not overrated by the majority of the sheeple.
    False. People just don't like his stans spreading propaganda and telling tall tales about Jordan.

Entity of Existence Living Being's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dc_chilling
    So again, MJ is the GOAT as of now. He just wasn't a god.
    GOAT status is debatable. Had no idea he wasn't a god. thx

MJ > LeBag

jordan > bitch boy bran
    kobe > bitch boy bran
    5> 2
    6> 2

The thing is though, it's not just about the narrative/circumstances. He played the game at a higher level than everyone or almost everyone in league history, and had a consistently great prime. Dude straight beasted.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    False. People just don't like his stans spreading propaganda and telling tall tales about Jordan.
    There's no reason to tell "tall tales" about Jordan, his career couldn't be written any better, if it was a Hollywood movie it would be deemed unrealistic (aside from I guess that Wizards subplot that no one really enjoyed).

His last game with the Bulls is the game winning shot to win the championship and seal a second threepeat ... I mean are you f**king kidding me? That happens in the movies, it's not supposed to happen in real life.

The other thing is the Bulls were never properly "dethroned". The Lakers and Celtics humbled each other, the Pistons beat both ... but no one really toppled the Bulls, they ended as champions which is fairly rare in team sports as well.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 06-13-2014 at 05:21 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    The thing is though, it's not just about the narrative/circumstances. He played the game at a higher level than everyone or almost everyone in league history, and had a consistently great prime. Dude straight beasted.
    I completely agree. I am not arguing that he isn't the GOAT. MJ was a monster and I idolized him growing up.

That doesn't change the fact that he has become a mythological figure. I was just sick of reading dumb shit like "Jordan would drop 60 a game in today's NBA". It is just moronic. Watch Wade at the peak of his powers in 09 and tell me Jordan was 30 ppg better. Or watch Kobe when he was at the peak of his powers in 06 and tell me Jordan was 25 ppg better.

Jordan has been overrated. He was overrated during the 2nd 3 peat. Probably before, but I wasn't old enough or a fan enough to tell.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year

I completely agree. I am not arguing that he isn't the GOAT. MJ was a monster and I idolized him growing up.

That doesn't change the fact that he has become a mythological figure. I was just sick of reading dumb shit like "Jordan would drop 60 a game in today's NBA". It is just moronic. Watch Wade at the peak of his powers in 09 and tell me Jordan was 30 ppg better. Or watch Kobe when he was at the peak of his powers in 06 and tell me Jordan was 25 ppg better.
    Who seriously says this? Like c'mon.

I think we just live in a society where it's "unpolite" to label one person better than another, so we can't have a "GOAT" because everyone needs a ribbon to feel special.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    but those arguments become moot when we comparing between eras and generations. he was the best of the 80s-90s crack and HIV epidemic descimated era of basketball yes

but how does that translate to 2000s

You can't think about it in terms of ppg though. Both were perhaps as good or better than MJ during his second threepeat, but during his prime (87-88 through 92-93), he had them beat in terms of shot selection, shooting ability from midrange, post game/strength, half court quickness, off ball play, athleticism, man defense, help defense, and clutch shooting. That isn't a myth.

I only caught the tale end of his prime, but he was dominating like peak Shaq or Hakeem did, and he's not a center.