Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Rumor: Embiids physical w/ Cavs did not go well. Team potentially passing on him?

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    I don't see Embiid's back as a huge problem. I think he'll deal with it and be a really, really good pro.

But rich-man's Ibaka is not his floor. His floor is Oden 2.0. He had back problems in college, he has rumors of back problems now. As much as you'd like to laugh it off as a rumor, he's a 7'0 dude with a history of back problems. You can't just ignore that.
    I qualified it by saying "as long as he's healthy." Obviously, your floor is a lot lower if you're dealing with constant injuries.

On that front, all the Cavs can do is study the MRIs and put him through physicals... which they apparently have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    I just have a hard time believing that the concern is strictly a precautionary concern as of right now. The report you posted is filled with a ton of confidence and "he looks great, don't trust Rizzo" stuff.

But is it really just precautionary? I know they're not going to release any specific medial information, but it's still curious. Drummond had a stress fracture, and he recovered completely from it, and looks as explosive and physically dominant as ever. From all reports aside from Rizzo, Embiid looks terrific, even more physically dominant than he was with Kansas, with the 15 pounds of added muscle. Just the terms "stress fracture" and "back injury" are scary enough to warrant lingering worries...but if all his physical tests and workouts tested out great, what is the concern they explicitly mention? Is there something beyond just precautionary fear? Because there's an unusual amount of uncertainty and "maybe" about picking him #1 mentioned in the article. A lot of people like to compare this situation to Oden as a reason for fear, but it's really quite different outside of it being a big man with an injury.
    I think the "concern" stems from Amico being too meek to really read the tea leaves and make a bold leap. That would be my honest answer to your question.

Just because he now actually does have real information doesn't necessarily mean his information is accurate or that he's bright enough to see through the smoke. I still think Amico is a lousy journalist.

If the medical and physicals really did go well, and all legitimate sources say they did, all of this other stuff is just noise imo. It's the franchise not wanting to give out too much information too soon in the process. I believe the closer we get to the draft, the more focused it will become. No doubt in my mind there is a clear frontrunner at the moment.

Default Re: Rumor: Embiids physical w/ Cavs did not go well. Team potentially passing on him?

Let's be real though, where there's smoke, there could potentially be fire.

For all the 'potential' Embiid has, you're still taking a risk. Kid had back problems in college, and big men have an inherent risk always.

As much as Embiid looks like 'the best big since Hakeem' he could easily be the 'biggest bust since Oden'. That's the risk you take when you pick a seven footer who didn't prove a whole lot in college and has a history of injury.

Is he the clear frontrunner in the draft? Yes.

So was Oden.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

For all the 'potential' Embiid has, you're still taking a risk. Kid had back problems in college, and big men have an inherent risk always.

As much as Embiid looks like 'the best big since Hakeem' he could easily be the 'biggest bust since Oden'. That's the risk you take when you pick a seven footer who didn't prove a whole lot in college and has a history of injury.
    I think there's equal or more risk with taking Wiggins or Parker over him. This idea that these guys are risk-free is sort of strange to me. Both are tremendous talents with a good amount of upside, but either or both could also completely flame out. This is an inexact science.

Parker is a high usage scorer who may already be close to maximizing his potential in that regard, but a major question mark on the other end of the floor and as a playmaker.

Wiggins is a ridiculous athlete and physical specimen with major questions surrounding his motor, handles and playmaking ability.

Everyone talks about the risk with Embiid... what about the risk involved in taking Wiggins if he never gets his handles together and is passive offensively on the next level?

How would another high usage scorer who can't defend fit on a team with Kyrie and Dion already fighting for shots? Doesn't that have the potential to be a trainwreck?

That's why I don't think you can draft scared. Kyrie had injury concerns coming out of Duke and that's a major reason a lot of people were advocating taking Derrick Williams No. 1 and Brandon Knight at 4. That would have been the perceived "safer" bet.

Does it look safe in retrospect... or just awful? Williams went 15 picks ahead of Kawhi Leonard in that draft. Had you asked someone to compare the two at the time of the draft, most would have laughed you out of the room (in favor of DWill). There is no safety net in drafts.

You're taking a risk regardless of who you pick... I'll go with the top prospect and hope for the best.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-14-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Is he the clear frontrunner in the draft? Yes.

So was Oden.
    Any draft pick can be a risk. It's all based on potenial.

Let's not be naive here. Those rumors are part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Any draft pick can be a risk. It's all based on potenial.
    Means nothing as it isn't equal risk.

anthony bennets physical was superb tho

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Means nothing as it isn't equal risk.
    Risk is risk, there is no sure thing in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Risk is risk, there is no sure thing in sports.
    It might rain on any given day, but me knowing the chance of it happening will go up by reading a forecast.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

well does he have any physicals or workouts scheduled with any other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    It might rain on any given day, but me knowing the chance of it happening will go up by reading a forecast.
    Thats deep Zen.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    well does he have any physicals or workouts scheduled with any other teams?
    Doesn't seem like it, not heard anything. You would think other teams will still work him out. Wiggins and Parker are working out with the Cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol

If he drops to Boston
    I'll drop an immediate deuce in my drawers.

NBA All-star

unless they were SET on having the #1 pick on Embiid. and it was well known around the league. and now because of this examination, they are ACTIVELY trying to trade their #1 pick away.

then you know, logically, there's absolutely no reason to spread out false rumor.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    unless they were SET on having the #1 pick on Embiid. and it was well known around the league. and now because of this examination, they are ACTIVELY trying to trade their #1 pick away.

then you know, logically, there's absolutely no reason to spread out false rumor.
    And if this is the case who is to say they aren't leaking misinformation so they can trade the #1 for the #3/10 and hope that Embiid isn't there for them at the 3?

There is ZERO reason to trust ANY information from any team about the draft right before the draft. Hopefully this forces Embiid to workout and allow them to do physicals for the other top teams or he risks a drop.