Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Ramnifications of a new Salary Floor?

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    I think it's a good idea since there will be a more extensive revenue sharing program. It will force some of these perennial losers to sign veterans or trade for veteran contracts and start putting a product out there that fans will actually want to pay for.
    And that will only hurt their chances of becoming great teams in the future. If you know you're going to suck, being forced to spend money on veterans who will push your team from 25 to maybe 30 wins just for the sake of a salary floor is not a good thing for the team. It's the road to mediocrity.

College superstar

I think it's a good idea since there will be a more extensive revenue sharing program. It will force some of these perennial losers to sign veterans or trade for veteran contracts and start putting a product out there that fans will actually want to pay for.
    I'm interested to see if there is going to be any transition period. The Lakers are >92M the next two years. A LOT of teams >58M

I foresee a lot of big trades with large bags of cash involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    And that will only hurt their chances of becoming great teams in the future. If you know you're going to suck, being forced to spend money on veterans who will push your team from 25 to maybe 30 wins just for the sake of a salary floor is not a good thing for the team. It's the road to mediocrity.
    Very true.

Only 16 teams can make the Playoffs.

The idea of parity doesn't work when you have teams who will be perennial losers even while spending money to reach the Salary Floor or even be over the Salary Cap.

The closest thing to "parity" has been the interchangeable 7th and 8th seeds in each conference. That wont change anytime soon.

Wtf, honestly I've never have even heard of the term salary floor until I read this thread. It's pretty easy to figure out the meaning just by the wording of the term but like others have stated.. it seems like this would be counter-productive and detrimental to certain teams who just want to save up cap until the next season.

The only reasoning I could see from doing this is to force certain teams that remain noncompetitive and unwilling to spend to actually make some moves that might help them win.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    Wtf, honestly I've never have even heard of the term salary floor until I read this thread. It's pretty easy to figure out the meaning just by the wording of the term but like others have stated.. it seems like this would be counter-productive and detrimental to certain teams who just want to save up cap until the next season.

The only reasoning I could see from doing this is to force certain teams that remain noncompetitive and unwilling to spend to actually make some moves that might help them win.
    It will be.

However, it will always allow for "role players" to find work because a team is forced to spend money to reach a minimum. The players complained about losing the MLE for luxury tax paying teams because some felt it would restrict movement. They'll be in high demand whether as highly paid 1 year rentals or getting multi-year contracts they dont really deserve.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Teams SHOULD be forced to spend.

We want parity, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    It will be.

However, it will always allow for "role players" to find work because a team is forced to spend money to reach a minimum. The players complained about losing the MLE for luxury tax paying teams because some felt it would restrict movement. They'll be in high demand whether as highly paid 1 year rentals or getting multi-year contracts they dont really deserve.
    So pretty much this is a concession (or compensation) for the players from the owners to counteract the new salary cap system. I don't see how any owner would have proposed a mechanism like this in the new system.

This makes me wonder how the new system will work exactly.. does anyone have a good link to the new CBA? The only thing I could find was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_lockout

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

That, or contracting teams was neccessary. Frankly I tire of the same teams putting bullshit on the floor each and every season, stealing money from their fans and devaluing the product that is the NBA.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Well there comes a time where teams have to start doing something instead of constantly rebuilding. How many years does Minny need to waste lottery picks drafting over lapping talent while pretty much going no where. It's not fair to the fans and the owners wonder why fans stop showing up for games. Teams don't necessarily have to spend just spend they can take on 1 year contracts from teams over the luxury tax and over the cap all while getting a draft pick in return. Or the flip side they might get a talented player from a team in the luxury tax (which is a problem in itself) which promotes the parity that so many fans are asking for. A salary floor is a must have if teams intend to share revenue. Other wise you could get cheapskates like Sterling and Sarver spending as little as possible because they know they'll get some of the revenue that LA and New York generate.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

On the surface this looks like a Miami Heat kill pill. Prevents teams from purging talent and building cap space while other teams are forced to spend to keep their stars happy.

Wouldn't be surprised is this rule was implemented by Dan Gilbert.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    So pretty much this is a concession (or compensation) for the players from the owners to counteract the new salary cap system. I don't see how any owner would have proposed a mechanism like this in the new system.

This makes me wonder how the new system will work exactly.. does anyone have a good link to the new CBA? The only thing I could find was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_lockout
    I think the owners like the representation this is a player perk, but in the end it can restrict player movement (as said earlier in this thread) when every team has to account for 85% of the cap every season.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    There's going to be a lot more "overpaid" players that people will complain about.
    and now it has come true - 5 years later

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Wtf are "ramnifications"