Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Anyone else have 2 jobs and feel like it's not worth it?

Good thing I don't love in the Bay Area.

2,000 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I'm pretty sure that was his intent; are you familiar with the internet?

Anyway, for him, I believe it the Dakotas or a similar "middle of nowhere."

I'll also add that you do have to move around in order to be successful. We're on our 4th state since 2008.
    I work out of a town that lies 100 miles north of a city of 1 million and 100 miles south of another city of 800,000. So not really the "middle of nowhere." And while you do need to work on the road, you don't need to move around in the sense that you're relocating your permanent home. That's not true at all. Not sure if that's what you're saying or not, but ya.

To answer rocsteady's question, however, it would probably be North Dakota, Pennsylvania, or Texas, those are the states going the craziest right now.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Oil field trash

I have only one job, the 9-5 variant and already feel the same way lol, but 2? Forget it..... people who dont mind at all wasting all their time working are people who are extremly desperate for money for various very understandable reasons, even then they do kindof mind ofcourse, but its a real must, something that would alter once lifestyle/family dramatically if they didnt work like that....... but if its like they just randomly work like that and dont mind it at all, then its people who have no actual life, no real interests, hobbies, dreams etc. (one of which you would love to pursue making a career out of getting later payed for what you absolutely love to do), like if they wouldnt have any work at all they would just sit & stare at the empty sky entire day... When i work i think all the time about the other stuff i could have been doing or pursuing during that time, cant freaking wait for the hour to end so i could do it... there is work & then there is CAREER...
    Last edited by pauk; 04-18-2014 at 10:21 AM.

You're second job should be a "fun" job - bartending, serving. Just too keep your sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I worked two jobs and went to school. If you're young enough it's not that big of a deal.

Oh, and a MS is bullshit. Working two jobs while doing that is nothing. Furthermore, if your contract with your department allows you to work elsewhere you probably are in a joke of a program anyway.

Plenty of Masters programs have co-op/internship programs available... I'm not sure why you'd consider a MS "bullshit" either. I know plenty of people with a Masters' in Comp Sci and Electrical Engineering and I think they'd take issue with it if you told them their degree is bullshit. Or if you said working two jobs while they were at school would have been nothing for their joke of a program
    Last edited by oarabbus; 04-18-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    You're second job should be a "fun" job - bartending, serving. Just too keep your sanity.
    waiting hand and foot on other people is fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Actually keep the job and when you have a chance to go on vacation, quit the job that sucks and use the money to just travel.
    this is actually really great advice. Suffer, do some overtime, and then let it all go and go somewhere nice. When I was 19 I dropped both of my summer jobs after doing a shit load of overtime and went to Cali for like 3 weeks. When you work a lot you lose the big picture, that there is a massive world that deserves exploring if you have the resources and/or organization to make it happen.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    this is actually really great advice. Suffer, do some overtime, and then let it all go and go somewhere nice.
    It's great advice if you're a kid.

Now, if you're a grown man working 2 jobs to make ends meet, saving up a bit of cash so you can quit a job and go on vacation would just be beyond immature. Guy is already strapped for cash and the advice is to blow his savings on a vacation? Uhh, yeah...great idea. I've got a better idea, why don't you not quit the other job, and try saving money for something that matters more than getting shitfaced in a Mexican resort for a week, like I don't know, a down payment on a home? A savings account for security in the event you lose your job?